collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever missed out on a great deal?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline dannahbanana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Instagram 💖
Have you ever missed out on a great deal?
« on: December 05, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »
Have you ever missed out on a great deal that has stuck with you? Recently while scrolling through Japanese Mercari, I saw that I missed out on a beautiful Rainbow Bubbles for $12 USD. Currently she is going for $120 USD on ebay. I have also missed out on a lovely Dazzleglow and Starglow for $20 USD each. I want to hear if you have had the same experience!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever missed out on a great deal?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:49:42 AM »
I saw a StarGlow several years ago for $25. I said I'll get her later and I've been kicking myself for it ever since, due to the ridiculous price jumps these days. I'll never have her now. Stupid, stupid me!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
Yes. It haunts me! A freshly decarded Greek orange Sunlight. For $80. 80 dollars! I was new to collecting and thought that was too much to spend on a pony. I would jump to pay only $80 for her now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
I saw a Baby Sweet Tooth on Mercari once for $10. Unfortunately she had already been sold, very quickly after the listing had been put up. I still wonder if I would have been able to get her had I refreshed the page just a few minutes earlier.

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »
SO MANY. For every good deal I’ve scored, I’ve missed at least as many. There was this one seller who used to sell G2 ponies for like $7-$15 a piece. I bought several from her over the years, but now she doesn’t sell anymore and I’m kicking myself for not buying more. Also with Argies - they used to be like $30-$50 for the less rare ones, and now you can’t find any for less than $90 a piece. Arguably the worst ones were the time i lost an auction for a green-haired Peruvian Lickety Split by less than a dollar, and she ended up going for something insanely cheap but just over my max bid, and the time someone in my city scored a lot of offerup that included several exceedingly are mail-order ponies for like $20.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
$30 MOC Baby CJ. BIN.

Nuff said.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
When Argentine Ponies came up for about £50 each, but I was buying other things at the time...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 07:03:23 PM »
oh haha, I bet everyone has dozens or maybe even hundreds of missed out stories! It happens so often I can't even remember many individual cases

Sadly many of my cases are "I forgot about the auction and it ended up selling for less than what I would've put my Max bid" Haha so I can only blame myself. Another time maybe 2017 or 2018 I was quibbling over buying a baby mermaid pony for 20$ and someone bought it while I waffled. Is it missing out if you do it to yourself? XD

One particularly annoying time was in real life, I saw a MIB newborn baby twins set in some garage sale photos. I arrived at the sale at the same time as a known reseller and he sprinted to the front door and demanded they open for him (this was about 15 mins) before the start time. So I watched that man who had been rude to me in the past take those MIB babies out from under me. I often think of I had arrived just a minute earlier

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 08:22:16 PM »
oh haha, I bet everyone has dozens or maybe even hundreds of missed out stories! It happens so often I can't even remember many individual cases

Sadly many of my cases are "I forgot about the auction and it ended up selling for less than what I would've put my Max bid" Haha so I can only blame myself. Another time maybe 2017 or 2018 I was quibbling over buying a baby mermaid pony for 20$ and someone bought it while I waffled. Is it missing out if you do it to yourself? XD

One particularly annoying time was in real life, I saw a MIB newborn baby twins set in some garage sale photos. I arrived at the sale at the same time as a known reseller and he sprinted to the front door and demanded they open for him (this was about 15 mins) before the start time. So I watched that man who had been rude to me in the past take those MIB babies out from under me. I often think of I had arrived just a minute earlier

OMG... I would have been so upset to lose Newborn Twins that way. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »
Lots...but one that sticks out to me was last year sometime, there was a big lot of about 25-30 G1 ponies that I had been watching. It was an estate sale find and I don't think the seller had the first clue about what they were because there were no key words in their listing. There was a Mimic hidden in the back of the picture, and at least 15 others that weren't duplicates in my collection; Big Brothers, TEs, etc. including Bright Eyes, who is one of my grails. The listing ended up selling for about $115, and I don't remember why I didn't bid, I guess it wasn't in my budget to spend a hundred + dollars on ponies that week, or perhaps it bid up so quickly at the end, I was worried about getting into a bidding war, I don't know. But I regretted not trying harder to win it immediately after, and still do, because it would have been worth the price; shipping had been dirt-cheap, too.

I've also done the thing where I forget about the end of an auction and then I kick myself later when it sold for cheaper than I would have offered. Guess that's my own fault for being one of those people who never put a bid in until the last few seconds.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 07:28:01 AM »
Probably.  I tell myself that most of the time, these items are not really rare, it's just a matter of waving money around. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 08:45:24 PM »

I felt both of these situations real hard  :(
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
Who hasn't?

Here are a few I've missed...

-A Satin Slipper Sweet Shop near-complete with box (only missing one ice cream soda) which ended up going for under $40, but just over my max bid (which I would have raised if I had checked before it ended!)
- A $15 lot on Offer Up, Letgo, or a similar app, containing some random G4s, Tic Tac Toe, maybe another G1, and, y'know... Mimic. The only reason I saw the listing was because the seller was too lazy to take it down once it sold. I won't lie; I cried. I found some ponies shortly afterward, but those two Twinkle Eyes are constantly in the back of my mind...
-A $25 Hasbro Softies Baby Surprise, the height of whose problems were her eyes having faded to blue. I have her mommy, and it was just coincidence I saw it; I hit random on Ghost of the Doll, which took me to the Pony Surprise page, and one of the auto eBay searcher thingies showed her to me! I buy things on eBay though my dad's account, though, so I had to wait for him to become available. The listing survived the night, but I'm still kicking myself for spending time with my boyfriend that day, since I couldn't check on her the second my dad got home! I didn't check the time the listing sold, so I don't know if it was my fault or not, but I'd rather not know. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess. (And yes, I did leave my dad a note, but he somehow couldn't find the listing that I had left on the screen... Typical of him, though. Just this week, he couldn't find the newer box of syringes with half-unit markings for our diabetic cat, so used one of the older ones, which don't have such markings... and were right next to the newer ones!)
-And, more recently, a $15 (just under retail price) So Soft Bath Time Rainbow Dash who could've come out of the box yesterday. She was missing her duck and she had a tiny spot on one of her feet, but she'd clearly never been in the bath and was even the version with a pink tail, which is my favorite of the two! Finding one of these with just the washcloth is one thing, with just the diaper another, without discoloration and dreadful head/body mismatch another, and without paint rubs on her mane yet another... Not to mention the blue-tailed variant seeming ever so slightly more common... But alas, my dad urged me to sleep on it, since I've been buying a lot of stuff lately (which wasn't untrue), but the very next day, she'd sold. Oh well. Hopefully I'll soon find another amazing deal on that decade-old bath toy!

I sorta ranted there; I'm more than a little salty from these! I just have a hard time letting go of when I feel like there's been an "injustice," however minor and whether or not I'm involved. I'm conscious of it, though, and try to not be as seriously upset as I would have been as a younger me.
I also make sure to remind myself of the great deals I've gotten... Princess Sparkle (the purple one with teal hair!) for forty-nine cents... Teeny Bootsie with his gorgeous factory curls for about a quarter, the time I escaped a thrift store with ~5 G1s, 6/10 of the Petite Pretty Pony Parade, and a few books for less than $3, and Rama Llama for $1 (which my grandma actually bought for me, since she took me to that magical flea market with the intentions of spoiling her adult grandchild)... not to mention the free stuff I've gotten here and there (Sleep & Twinkle StarSong stands out!) from various places where those sorts of things were listed. Good things do happen, so I try not to get too bummed out. I put some of my favorite purchases in plain sight, since they remind me of that fact!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 11:34:10 PM »
Lots, either because they were already brought, or my brother was getting out of a game for my mum.

I missed out on Summer Heatwave pony five times, last night being the lucky sixth time when I got her for £20.00.

Tornado missed out on him nine times because of the bids on him going up and up and up, was lucky to get him from Etsy £7.00.

Most big brothers either because of the ridiculous prices people put them on for sale, or high bidding on them.

Baby Paws with his bowl, my brother was playing on my mum’s iPad, then when the bidding ended no bids, waited for it to be put back on and somebody bidded on him.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Vintageg2

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Love G2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 04:56:43 AM »
Plenty unfortunately!

Oh well, luckily I also got quite a few bargains  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal