collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Smallest Brushes: What Where and How??  (Read 4425 times)

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
Re: Smallest Brushes: What Where and How??
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
I use Royal Majestic brushes.  I love the liner brushes.  I use a  10/0 on my pony eyes and other fine lines.  Best set of brushes I've ever had!  I found them at Hobby Lobby in the model car section.

I also found these online: http://www.micromark.com/30and0-micro-miniature-paint-brush-set-4-brushes,9628.html but I'm sure using something that tiny would take some pretty darn good hand control, and right now, I don't have it. :P
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »
Thank guys, I'll have to check some of these out! 

I'm thinking a 20/0 is probably my best bet (And I do love 10/0 too!)  I use Createx airbrush paints as they have a fab consistency.  They are more liquid than a lot of acrylic, but with a full body that almost makes it hard to paint them in any way that isn't smooth.  I do think the tip of the brush is the most important part.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 07:24:31 AM »
I buy my brushes at Michael's but I'm not loyal to any particular brand. I tend to get a mixture of 10/0 and 18/0 liners because the size varies from brand to brand.

These are my current faves...
The ones on left are all 10/0 and the ones on the right are all 18/0

The white 10/0 is a Simply Simmons liner, the campaign color one is a Loew-Cornell American painter and the teal one is Robert Simmons Expression. They're all 10/0 but a little bit different and good for different things.

The 18/0s I have a Loew-Cornell spotter and liner along with a Robert Simmons Expression. I tend to stay away from spotters because fine lines are harder to achieve and it's hard to keep the paint out of the ferrel so they don't last as long.

I find the 18/0 to make too fine a line for eyes so I tend to use the 10/0 but the 18/0 is great for fine lines and detail especially the Loew-Cornell liner.

Using liners might take a little more practice because you have to use a light hand but I think the results are totally worth it. ;)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
Awesome!  Did you find your Simply Simmons at Michaels??  I have to order them online, they are not too pricey, but the shipping is awful!  Like $8 or $9 to ship a paintbrush!  I have to order several at once to make it worth it, but man if they were at Michael's that would be boss.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
I'm afraid to order brushes online because I like to see them in person. :P
So yes, they are all available at Michael's.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline megsense

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/megsense/
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
I find the 18/0 to make too fine a line for eyes so I tend to use the 10/0 but the 18/0 is great for fine lines and detail especially the Loew-Cornell liner.

Using liners might take a little more practice because you have to use a light hand but I think the results are totally worth it. ;)

^ This all over the place. I love using liners, I have the same ones myself. I'm due for a new spotter soon in fact.

Line art from MLP:fim

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »
CSA - You could try finding them on ebay too : ) - Think Im gonna make a tut on trimming brushes down as I have had several people say they have problems doing it.

JenKollic

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Nearly all the brushes I use are from the Games Workshop Citadel line, because I love Games Workshop and Games Workshop loves me but only when I'm giving them large amounts of money. I've got one or two others, but I don't tend to use them for ponies, it's the Citadel ones that I use the most.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
I tend to make my own - I buy nail striper brushes or small ones at the craft store and take a pair of nail clippers to them to make them smaller. My smallest one has two hairs on it :)

Oh, finger nails!  I was thinking of hardware nails, and how a brush would help, lol.  Can you tell I don't paint my nails often?  =P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal