collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoration Help for G1 Moonstone - First time Repaint  (Read 1519 times)

BrandyPantz

• Trade Count: (0)
Restoration Help for G1 Moonstone - First time Repaint
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:17:21 PM »
So I was Goodwill Outlet shopping for ponies to fill a nursery with soon and I came across a G1 Moonstone. She is actually in pretty decent condition. She has a great mane and tail with no haircuts and her face is perfect.

However...

Some evil creative little girl decided to use a very persistent marker all over her body. I gave her a bath and tried nail polish remover to no avail. I don't think its going to come off.

So I decided to try and repaint her body and cutie mark maybe. The cutie mark doesn't seem to be very difficult, but I wanted to ask what body paint you custom folk would suggest. This would be my first repaint, but i think I can pull it off. I just wanted to ask about paint before I make her situation even worse.

Thanks!

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration Help for G1 Moonstone - First time Repaint
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
you may want to try sunbleaching if you dont need her right away. It can help alot, although the mark may still show a bit, it will most likely be better
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

BrandyPantz

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »
I'm not in any big rush really, I just figured since it was winter time I'd probably be better off trying to repaint her. Her cute-mark has been colored on with Orange marker as well, and I figured if I just repainted it I would have an easier time.

Kaapelikala

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
The marker has most likely stuck into the plastic for good, so it's going to be hard getting it off. Maybe with a very fine sand paper you could get at least some of it off. Otherwise repaint seems to be the way to go.

Of some photos I checked I'd go with a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Wolf Grey and Vallejo Skull White. If the head is good, you could just pull it off (careful here, these things are old) so you don't need to reroot the head. You can wrap some masking tape or something to the tail so you won't ruin it. Then you'll need to find a good colour that will match the head. Otherwise you need to reroot her hair as well since you really can't be careful enough not to mess the hair up (been there, done that). Qutie mark can be done with either metallic paints or glitter. Make a stencil out of masking tape and use that.

Send us pics, might help in helping.

BrandyPantz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Here are some pictures =(

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sorry they're so big. Not sure how to change the size of them.

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:15:42 PM »
You could try pur acetone and see if anymore ofthe orange comes off.
Poor Moonstone :(

JenKollic

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
Oh man, that just makes me feel sad. Moonstone was my favourite out of all the ponies I had when I was little, I wonder what happened to mine...

Good luck with the restoration!

BrandyPantz

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
I know it makes me sad too. She has such nice hair and aside from the marker is in pretty good condition. I'll try the sand paper maybe.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
I wouldn't suggest trying sandpaper. It will just scuff up the vinyl and the marker will still be there. :huh:

Have you tried 100% pure acetone? It works better than nail polish remover and may get a bit more of the orange out. Sun fading really does work but can take quite a bit of time. More than likely it won't save the symbol but you might be able to get the stains on the body taken care of. The symbol can always be repainted using metallic paint and glitter.

Also, a full body repaint really isn't the way to go for a restoration but if you want to make a true custom of her than I say go for it. ;)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

BrandyPantz

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
I think I'll give the pure acetone a try then.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal