collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you collect?  (Read 1657 times)

Roxanne

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do you collect?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 03:58:28 AM »
I have ponies of each generation, but I do focus mostly on G1!

All of the ponies I have come from flea markets, secondhand shops or a local secondhand site. One time I drove for more than two hours to pick up a huge lot of more than 300 ponies and another time we went to pick up another huge lot with lots of stuff in their original box, including Paradise Estate. So in short, I would drive to pick up bigger lots if they are interesting, but most of my things come from flea markets and the like. :)

I do have the bad habit of picking up almost all of the G1 ones I find... I just LOVE to fix them up! It brings me so much joy to see how they looked before, and how they look when I'm done with them. But I probably really should stop picking them all up because I do am running out of space. Or maybe I should take the time to get rid of my doubles, because of some I really have too many. But I just can't help myself! If I see a pony laying there I just NEED to save him/her! :P

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 03:58:55 AM »
I collect all gens, pretty much whatever I find in a store (current G4, or older in a thrift store). And I buy some online exclusives. G4 I'm starting to get more selective on which releases.

Generally I don't buy much merch or plushies - just BABW plushies, and merch if I really like it and can use it (clothing).

I do have a pony room.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 05:04:33 AM »
Only what I like, and I try to keep my pony hunt local... It's too easy to buy everything online.
However , stuff I obviously won't get locally (Nirvana's , mail orders)-- I'll buy online.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 05:25:09 AM »
I'm a G1 and G4 collector.

G1s are, obviously, bought online. I'm not lucky enough to find anything but G3 in thrift stores, and I don't really want to collect more than the two gens I currently do. I will actively seek out new pony items in stores and I'll search online for anything I can't easily get here...being a member here helps, especially with those pesky international exclusives!

I also collect merch, which I enjoy more than the ponies themselves for G4. I also collect pony Funko figures and various plushies.

I have a pony room, so that's where the bulk of my collection goes. :) I definitely needed a room, since I also collect other things.  The other collections are sort of strewn about the house, haha.

For G1, I collect what I like and I'm not too fond of accessories, mostly just cause I don't know what to do with them. For G4, I'll buy almost anything, but there are certain things I'm more inclined to get than others.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:37:32 AM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

shiverglow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 06:28:05 AM »
I've been collecting for more than a month now, and I've been solely focused on G3s. So far, I've been trying to complete the sets before I try to get the ponies I really want.

As far as accessories go, I would like to collect all the pony charms and brushes, and if a pony comes with anything else like clothes it's more of a bonus than anything. I adore the G3 movies, picture books, coloring books etc, (mainly because I watched/read them a lot growing up) so that's something I want to collect as well.

I don't really have a steady goal in mind, just the idea of 'need more ponies' thus far.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
My main focus is G1. When I began my goal was to get the ones I wanted but never got as a child. When that was done I focused on getting the ones from the cartoon, then it kind of went over to the ones I thought pretty.. I've completed a few sets, some were happenstance while others were so obviously belonging to something (sunshine ponies, Brush 'n Grow, 7 tale) that I needed them complete. Then someone was selling a bunch of Flutters on tradera and suddenly I got the idea of getting all the flutters (I'm one from completion) and now I am one pony from comleting year 2 Rainbow ponies so I thought I might get her just because..

On the side I've built small armies as well. Gusty, Moondancer, Bow Tie.. and I'm not really into varients and Nirvana it just kind of happened o.O

As it is now I'm not sure where to move from here. I need Wingsong ans Sunlight that is for sure. As I don't do eBay or paypal so it takes time to find the right ones and I am totally satisfied with that. I am considering the Rainbows from year 3 but I don't really feel like it.. But I hate to find the two I miss and then be done with it, so we'll see what happens.

When it comes to G3 I saw Kiwi Tart in the store and fell in love. Never thought I would like them but she was special. Then I fell for another and another.. But I don't really collect. The ones I've gotten these last years have been either rescued flee market finds or gifts from my boyfriens mother who buys them for me when she finds some and it's just so sweet I can't tell her to stop.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
But in addition, do you collect just the ponies you like, or every pony from a set?
Yes I am a set completer I have to have all in the set or I wont collect them any other way. I am very through or try to be when it comes to G1s.

Do you collect accessories?
No not really I just collect ponies. I would like to have some but not all accessories.

Are you aiming towards a goal (like completing your U.S. pony collection) or are you not even actively buying right now? I am working on mail orders and other ponies I dont have. I like to say I am not actively buying but I seem to always be focusing on something or the other.

Do you have a pony room, or is pony collecting just one of your many hobbies? This is my main hobby but I do collect strawberry shortcake and the odd time hello kitty. Hobbies can get rather expensive.  :blush:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »
I collect mainly G3s. Although I got my first G1 in a lot recently, and then discovered the different G1 lines, and now I might be in trouble.  >_<

Honestly, I don't have any goals. I started out "Oh, I love this one so much, this one really speaks to me!" and I thought I'd stop there, but then I found some more, because, lets be honest, G3 is such a gorgeous generation. So many beautiful ponies! ^_^

I have my limits, though, which aren't necessarily financial. As much as I adore MLPs, I don't see myself ever becoming a serious collector. I feel guilty with every one I buy, because I SHOULD be saving up my money up for something like school or paying my parents back for everything they've done for me.

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:41 AM »
First, I've got a set amount of ponies I'm allowing myself to have, though my number has risen from 40 to 60, but it can't go beyond that! I truly do only have so much space for all my various collections. G1s, G3s and Fakies are what I collect.  I'm also trying to limit super rare/super expensive ponies in both gens as much as possible.

I also don't collect playsets, because of space limitations. Though I'd love to have Paradise Estate, the Show Stable and the Waterfall set.

I prefer at least decent conditions. I'm not fond of PVC Breakdown or heavy yellowing unless its on a color I can easily paint over. I don't want ponies who are missing manes, missing body chunks or who have mold. I'm okay with pen marks, missing tails, rust and regrind. If I can easily fix it with my very limited abilities, I'm okay with it.

G1s Current Number: 19
I'm re-collecting some of my childhood favorites, as well as ponies I've always wanted back then and never got. I'd like to have at least one from almost every species/gender. I just need to add Flutters, Unipegs and Wingers
The Merponies and SHS doesn't really do it for me. I'm not collecting country exclusives, because they're hard to find and I'm terrible at converting dollars to other currencies.

I don't care about accessories because they make the pony cost way more for me (personally) then I'm willing to pay, though I'd love to have at least one bushwooly and Wigwam's headdress. But as far as ribbons and bandanas go, I can buy spools of ribbons and bandanas for cheap and have plenty for my herd. Plus I don't like how often Hasbro used a complementary color and it blends into the body or hair. I usually prefer complementary colors that stand out. I can use baby clips shaped like bows for my two sea ponies.

G3s Current Number: 10
So many gorgeous ponies, but too many earth, I've got most of the Earth that I want and right now, I'm focusing on adding another Unicorn and another Pegasus and  a baity unicorn and Pegasus to head swap for a Unipeg custom I'd like to have done. Fortunately, the ones I want aren't hard to find at all.

Fakies Current Number: 3
I'm veeeery picky about my fakies and unfortunately most of the ones around here are the creepy, glass, doll- eyed variety. I'd love to have a few Remco and a Unipeg Demon Donkey and a Princess RnP would be awesome! As well as more babies and maybe a few flockies. I count fakies as part of my MLP herd, BUT I don't count them as MLPs, so I can get away with getting a few more, if I'm fortunate enough to find the ones I like.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:54:55 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
I don't actively buy as much as I used to because I'm running out of ponies I really want that aren't too expensive, so I only buy once every few weeks or so when I see a bargain. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
I get the ones that are pretty and cheap.  :P

I don't actively buy as much as I used to because I'm running out of ponies I really want that aren't too expensive, so I only buy once every few weeks or so when I see a bargain. :)

I'm pretty much the same.

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline BuckinghamAlice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Lost in a Curious Dream
    • View Profile
    • NovelHeart Pony Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
I'm new to collecting and my collection (and budget) are quite small.  I'm interested in all generations, but I don't have the space or resources to want to complete any collections right now, so I just go for what I really like and can afford.

Thank you to Bekuno and tailrustedtealeaf for the adoptables!
*~More NovelHeart/Pony Tumblr/Instagram~*

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »
I collect G1 and G4 mainly.  When G3's were out, I bought many of them, but I don't buy too many these days, except at goodwill or thrift stores.  My g1's are my favorite, and I tend to focus on them, but when I see G4's at the store, I can't help but pick them up.  In terms of how I choose what I buy, I buy the G1's that I like.  I don't necessarily try to complete sets, but I do have quite a few complete sets.  For G4's, I try to buy just the ones I like, but I also tend to buy ones that might be more rare or sought after.  I think of some g4's as investments as well as toys for me.  (at least that is something I say to people when they see a cart full of ponies :)
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »
I collect G1. I had my childhood collection, but I've expanded it quite a lot!! I'm going for ones that I wished I'd had as a kid, but on the way I've discovered other lovely ones, so the list keeps getting bigger! I only have limited room though, so I can't really collect playsets and accessories. Although I'm very tempted to!!!

Jules x

Offline wondermintUK

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
I started out by collecting only the ones I wanted as a child, adding to my original childhood herd, but then it grew and then G3 came out... now I collect all 4 gens.  I love making lists and ticking them off so I collect all types of ponies and playsets and accessories.  All other collections have long gone to make way for more ponies.

G1 criteria: loose and in minty condition where possible, complete with accessories or I will spend ages hunting down any missing parts ;)  I collect backcards and playset boxes but try not to buy MIB as I will only open them and feel guilty about it!  I collect all USA and UK including variants.  I also collect Nirvanas - rainbows, Blossom variants, collector pose variants or just any that I think are pretty.  I collect vintage merch, comics, softies, porcelains, petites and mummy charms.  I have one Dream Beauty but no doubt she will gain a companion at some point.  I am only missing 3 USA, 4 UK/Euro and 14 MO to have a complete set of brushable G1 ponies.

G2 criteria: MOC/MIB and I don't open these! I do have a few loose, some are hard to find so will be super difficult to get MOC.  Still got 47 MOC and 1 beanie to get to complete my G2 collection.

G3 criteria: All were purchased new and most are now loose, but I have kept all of the packaging (yes my attic is full of boxes!) - some special ones I even have doubles so I can open one and keep one mint.  I have every variation of G3 ponies, except the giant blank pony and open-mouthed Ribbon & Hearts, but not every packaging/accessories variation.  I have a huge army of Pinkie Pie to show all the variations of packaging and merch.  I have approx. half the G3.5s but I'm only adding to them if they are super cheap!

G4  As G3!  Just trying to keep up with the new ones, but I do collect brushables, prototypes, blind bags, plushies, EG and Funko (regular and blind box) so it feels as if I will never complete G4!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal