collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Dangers of Fad Fans  (Read 13524 times)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: The Dangers of Fad Fans
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »
Wow. I wonder if she even asked her mother. That's a shame.. a quick google would've confirmed how rare and valuable Rapunzel can be. And she's such a different body match of Pinkie anyhow!
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
If they were her mom's ponies, then how old was this girl?

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
I just threw up a little.  I literally want to cry. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
It really is a shame to hear that this has happened to something so sought-after, but I figure as long as she had her mom's permission, this is fine. Ponies are toys, and toys are for having fun, aren't they? Motives aside, if modifying this Rapunzel was fun for this girl, then gosh darn it, I think the toy did what it was supposed to.

I suppose this is similar to somebody putting spinny-rims and flames on a Gran Torino. Although blasphemous, if it's not your property, it shouldn't concern you too much beyond a cringe. I don't think there's need to be personally insulted by it. :)

Maybe a lot of this comes from me being a non-MIP/MOC collector. I have a lot of little knick knacks that I'm fond of, and I like letting 'em mingle on my shelves. I wouldn't much like the way that things looked were they all stuck on cards.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
I think a piece of me just died after reading this :sad:
My Wish List

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
Bergamot, you do realize this pony's worth something like $500 right?

Personally, I think Rapunzel's kind of...ugly...and you're absolutely right, people can do what they want with their property. But doing things out of ignorance I always find painful. In this case, it's painful for the collectors who would have liked it (it's a toy, but a collectable as well), and I can't imagine the family who owned this doesn't care that they just lost that much money. That's why I wonder how old this girl is to not care even after she was told.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »
I ..have no words  :cry: :sad: :blink: :faint: :cloud:

(and she is worth much more than $500 if she was MIP )

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Yeah, I know she fetches a pretty penny mint-on-card. :)

I've no idea how old this girl is, but many kids are fortunate enough to not understand money terms like "value." Quite honestly, I suppose I envy this blissful ignorance. Money is an abstract thing to them, as they are not stuck in the confines of paying bills and worrying about other dreadfully grown-up things.

Surely she didn't find the toy and say to herself, "Gosh, this will really insult some serious pony collectors, I'm gonna destroy it!" I think her thought was more along the lines of, "Wow, ponies, fun! But none of these look like my favorite character. Some of them are dirty, eewww! This one is nice and clean. I'll customize her!"

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »
Believe me, you don't have to lecture me on "value" or tell me it wasn't on purpose to upset collectors. Really, that's a pretty obvious assumption. I'm just saying I wish people would look into what something is before customizing/using it for art. Valuable pony or not.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
 :yikes:   That's so sad.  Maybe someone will buy her and do an epic restore.  I don't think I've ever seen an MiP Rapunzel.  Hey, maybe you can get the accessories from her, if she doesn't want them (in case you find your own Rapunzel someday).

Oh well, I still love bronies.  They are bringing back the MLP momentum for the next generation, so hopefully new ponies will still be around when my kids are old enough for them.

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Yeah, I don't see this so much as a danger of a "fad", just someone who probably didn't know. I also don't like calling the current popularity of MLP a fad anyway...

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
The only MIP Rapunzel I've seen up for auction sold for $1,500.

Now excuse me while I go cry in the corner and try to forget I ever read this :yikes:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
I think I just died on the inside :(
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Stuntmang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
Can you grab a picture of the custom made from her? I wanna see what it looks like.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
It really is a shame to hear that this has happened to something so sought-after, but I figure as long as she had her mom's permission, this is fine. Ponies are toys, and toys are for having fun, aren't they? Motives aside, if modifying this Rapunzel was fun for this girl, then gosh darn it, I think the toy did what it was supposed to.

I suppose this is similar to somebody putting spinny-rims and flames on a Gran Torino. Although blasphemous, if it's not your property, it shouldn't concern you too much beyond a cringe. I don't think there's need to be personally insulted by it. :)

Maybe a lot of this comes from me being a non-MIP/MOC collector. I have a lot of little knick knacks that I'm fond of, and I like letting 'em mingle on my shelves. I wouldn't much like the way that things looked were they all stuck on cards.

I don't collect MIB/MIP/MOC ponies either, but many people do. I also don't care for Rapunzel, but many people do. But I STILL feel hurt and angered by this situation because I know how much SO many collectors here would have cherished that Punzie, even after she was opened. I'm sorry, but I don't think there is any way this girl could appreciate her new Pinkie Pie anywhere NEAR as much as one of the hundreds of collectors would have appreciated Rapunzel. And I'd bet she won't appreciate her Pinkie as much as she would have appreciated having $1,000. And to think, she could have just gone to Wal Mart and bought a Pinkie Pie for $5. =(

Someone above mentioned the accessories...I forgot about those. I hope they didn't get tossed in the garbage. RavenWolf, do you have any idea about what happened to them?
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal