collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Broadening my collection?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
Re: Broadening my collection?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 05:09:47 AM »
I've never kept my self to just one gen I can't do it I love ponies all ponies!

yes the Arena is the best place to buy ponies form other gens if you want to start with less expensive ponies I suggest some g3 since they don't go that high and are relatively easy to find. Check out some of the g3 ID sights like Strawberry reef they help you find out what ponies you might want to start looking for. 

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »
I was a strict G1 collector in the begining and then I decided to branch out into G3 and G2 as they were the ones available at the time. Let's just say I got completely overwhelmed by everything! I'm a completist so I feel the need to have one of everything. I couldn't keep up with the G3 releases as they were  new in stores at the time and just felt blah about it all. So what I would say is, decide which ones you want by making lists of them and stick to it ;) If you start feeling overwhelmed take a step back and access your collecting. I ended up selling all but my exclusive G3s in favour of my G1s and now I also collect G4s and I'm fine with that :)

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 06:12:42 AM »
Don't do it!!!

Collecting one gen (particularly G4) isn't too bad because there aren't many of them. G2s are OK 'cos they're really skinny. But once you start on the G1s and G3s, you will be looking for more places to put them all of the time!  :lol:

I collect all gens and I must have going on for 20 metres of pony shelving now, just had to put another 1m up this morning so I have no more wall space left now.  :blush:

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Ponies are addictive!  You can't have just one, and it seems like a lot of us can't have just one Generation!   :lol:   I collect everything but G3.5, I had the G1s growing up, discovered the G2s when I was at university, and just continued from there.

My advice would be to find a good guide (either a book or online) so you can familiarize yourself with the generation you're interested in.  You'll get to know who's available and who you're interested in collecting.  You might also be able to learn about which problems some Ponies are prone to.  Or you can do a search for a specific pony in the corral or price check archives to get some ideas about her.  And, of course, the community here is always happy to answer questions!

I'd also recommend buying the Arena.  It's much safer and easier than Ebay, you can ask for additional pics or info, check a person's feedback, and even check the trader support forum.  You'll probably find things at a better price, too.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Elf

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
Haha!!  I love when people change their minds about ponies:).  I have been a strict G1 winger collector for years.  Suddenly, I am now a Breezie collector and a flutter collector too!!  They sneak up on you and find a way into your heart.  I think that Arena members, being so passionate about certain ponies, have caused me to fall in love with their ponies.  Welcome to the best place on the Internet, the Arena is chalk full of love!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
I also started out the same way. I was a G1 collector at first. I grew up with G1s. Played with them had fun times. I didnt start recollecting until about 4-5 years ago. I collect G3s and G4s also. I just dont get "G2s or G3.5s" (though my daughter has a few of the G3.5s) I also know the problem about space and shelfing. I know it can be daunting. Someday I will have another pony room. Everything is packed up nicely and stored for now. I agree to try here first in finding ponies and then other places like ebay and ect. I also agree on getting good books or guides for collecting. They really help.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:02:29 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »
Well at first I only intended on collecting G3s and the main character G4s, but that all changed quick enough :P I think everyone has a "I only wanted a few...." or "I only wanted these ones...." kind of story to share, lol. I quickly branched out to G1s, and I'm looking into G2s, I'll take the G3.5s if I get them, and I even started collecting blind bags (something I swore off from their very beginning!) and although I'm currently trying to only collect the sparkly ones.... I'm starting to tell myself "Maybe I can just get the best of the regular ones....." lol. Silly ponies!! Recently I re-did my wishlist and oh my gosh, I'm shocked at the length lol.

The funny thing is, since branching out to all gens, I've started wanting less G3s. I guess I'm being picky now because I have so many more ponies to choose from xD
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
My advice is to remember many G1s are 30 years old so you won't find them in perfect condition easily at all. There are some flaws you'll have to live with if you want them or just pass them on to the next collector. Somebody will take them.

SDstang

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
yes ponies are addictive! My peice of advice that I didn't see mention while I was skimming through is beaware that the market on ponies changes price wise. It can go up and down pretty fast at times. It really depends on who is popular at the moment even with common ponies.  Also if you miss out on something it will always come back around! I mean the hunt can be very fun.

Angelshy

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Wow, thanks for the advice, everyone. It's fun to hear other people's stories  :biggrin:

I think my main problem will be making space for any new ponies. I've already put a lot of my stuff in storage to make a "pony shelf" but that is already almost full XD

It might be easier when I move out of the family home (hopefully soon...too poor right now  :P ) since right now my collection is confined to my room.  My friend and I joked that if we ever rent a place together, we'll set up our own Ponyville in a corner somewhere. I kind of hope that actually happens one day  :lol:   

Offline sabathamk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sabrinas-space.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
I just started collecting in August... and I don't know what happened.  I have some of every gen.  I buy whenever I see them in second hand stores, or flea markets (at a good price, mind you) or garage sales.  I have more than I know what to do with, and have been seriously contemplating thinning the herd and figuring out WHAT exactly I want to collect in each gen.  G2's and G3.5's are pretty much only in my herd if they find their way there (although... I love them... I just don't want to focus on them).  G3s are pretty much the same.  Although I have lots since Ifind them frequently.  I'm more actively into G1s and G4s.  I disliked G4s at first... but they grew on me, and now I'm wishing I would have bought Lilly Blossom when I first saw her last year since I can't find her anymore and have all the other brushables, haha (I don't do the duplicate's thing... and I don't yet have Scootaloo for that reason alone).

I grew up with G1's, never knew what G2's were until I was here, and G3's brought back some nostalgia because they were so similar to my childhood toys... but not quite the same... so I bought a rainbow Dash in a tin... still have her.  Then I found a G1 Whizzer in the thrift store and ended up buying her... and soon afterward a lot from Kijiji of 52 ponies... G1, 2, and 3!!

Good luck not letting the ponies take over your house!  I know they are starting to take over mine!

Thanks to Cardinal Melody\'s pony maker!
wishlist/adoptables

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
My advice is to pace yourself!  There are so many ponies in any generation, it can be easy suddenly find a river of ponies arriving at your mailbox.  But it's more satisfying to collect gradually, IMO.  The ponies aren't going anywhere.  If you miss one good deal today, there will be another good deal next week or next month or next year.

I will each the fact that G1s are 20 - 30 years old, understand that many of them will have flaws.  Sometimes new collectors customize G1s that, to my eyes, barely had anything wrong with them, which makes me cringe.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal