collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is the best source of definitive information on G1 accessories?  (Read 537 times)

Delaneys

• Trade Count: (0)

One of the things we've been doing is reconnecting G1 ponies with backcards and accessories.  We're looking for the current definitive site/authority on accessories.  Some of the items we've seen even on the My Little Wiki differ from records we have... so where should we be looking?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best source of definitive information on G1 accessories?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
Greatponies.com is one of the best ones:
http://www.greatponies.com/

The MLP Wiki is an excellent resource too.  There is no definitive, one stop shop for accessory IDing.  Accessory IDing(particularly combs and ribbons) is often a decent into madness. There are very few accessory specific sites, and with shade variations and random Hasbro insanity, there can be a lot of conflicting information out there.  Most people do a combination of cross checking the main sites, looking up MIB pictures(if available), and filling in gaps by asking people on this site to help out.

Good luck! 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:20:32 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
This is a feat. Match to MOC/MIP's you own first, and then I used a combo of the following to create my own master list:
MLP wiki
Great Ponies (lady twilights accessories)
Ivy's ponyland tours

anything that differed from what I personally found (I match up childhood lots I buy, or keep them totally together until I do and usually the stuff present belongs to those ponies), or conflicts I then google those ponies individually in image search to find MOC/MIB/MIP sets. My personal picture files are so massive I'm afraid I don't have a means of sharing them at the present moment. So I'll search for "Peach Blossom" pony with different variations of MIB/MIP etc until I find enough clear shots of that pony's stuff. :) lighting or background/camera quality can change what shade an acc looks.

**I've also saved/hoarded MOC images for years. Sometimes you spot ones from the old MLP collector site (where my ancient list was built back in the day) that had obviously had the real comb/brush acc stolen from the package and a different one slipped in.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:17:43 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Delaneys

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:49:35 AM »
The only thing is MIB/MOC pics aren't even definitive or absolute as we have had items in packaging (regular US release) which differed from other photos online.  This may not be an exact science ever... or it may be as goddessofpeep termed it "a descent into madness"!  LOL

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:46:59 AM »
It is definitely a decent into madness. I've been working on my site http://www.ponylandtours.com/DreamCastle/Library/Accessories/accessories.htm for over 10 years and still am adding new info every few months. You also have of course the accessories that varied from package to package to make things even more fun.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Complete madness lol!  And yet I still continue to torture myself with it all ;)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »
The only thing is MIB/MOC pics aren't even definitive or absolute as we have had items in packaging (regular US release) which differed from other photos online.  This may not be an exact science ever... or it may be as goddessofpeep termed it "a descent into madness"!  LOL

Yeah. I've found that as well. sometimes the acc will vary from batch variations giving a slightly different toned brush, have an alternate or be misspacked from another piece in the same set. Immaculately kept childhood lots really show a lot of variety. I've bought so many over the years where the owner had 5-30ish ponies with their stuff intact. There's the baby palmtree's MOC with pineapple's pink brush instead of her deep purple one. VERY FEW of the ribbons are consistent. others they're are tons of differences in the same pony, most notably ones that should have had a blue, or pale lavender and came with white and early ponies who have a green ribbon but in the store it was a bright yellow from not being dyed (properly?) (the early green ribbons turn yellow if you fade them, same with soft blues and lavenders turning white).

Brushes and combs are easier. ribbons, there are FEW sets that are consistent in type of fabric used, even fewer consistent in colour.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »
ChipsterRJ. Haha

Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »
I use Wiki for US accessories, mostly. It's a bit scanty for UK ones, and there are a lot of variations (like flower brushes/SHS ponies, and shooting star combs/rainbow baby ponies, as well as Tic Tac Toe, also I think Tootsie here is different from US), but I don't know if there is anything that covers those variations properly. I have pics of some of them MIP but I wouldn't say that my site is anything like as useful for accessories as the ones listed. I think there are still a lot of gaps...

But the Wiki does lay it out clearly and, since Absol tries to have MIP examples from different places where possible, there are sometimes unexpected extra details of this kind of variation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal