collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is WeLoveFine doing with the MLP Vinyl line?  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: What is WeLoveFine doing with the MLP Vinyl line?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
It's okay if they want to keep producing the same thing or variations of it, but just be truthful about it.  Say you don't know when production will be stopped or if other versions will be made.  Don't give a definite limit and then change your mind.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 10:34:23 PM »
Wow WLF. I remember readng these were the last ones too! Im dissappointed they lied but at the same time im not surprised! I have personally seen and read everything in the screenshots you guys have posted myself on their website! Im totally fine with them making these, I do like them, but they dont need to lie about not releaseing more ever again after chromes then poop out 3 more out plus even more on the way.  I wish WLF would apologize...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:45:52 PM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »
Judging from the comments on EQD about the figures- it really seems as though most of the bronies truly do not care that WLF has lied to its customers again and again. 

I don't know if it is attributable to their age or what, but the complete indifference to the fact that WLF has demonstrated such an obvious and blatant lack of integrity- is nearly as disappointing to me as the lack of integrity itself.  :(
I do think it is (partially at least) because WLF answers their demand for more "show accurate" pony figures/merchandise. "So what if they keep lying about not releasing figures anymore? Yay we are getting more show accurate pony merchandise/figures of OUR favorite characters!!"

I feel weird saying this, but the words/term "show-accurate" when it comes to MLP bugs me for some reason. D:

It is my most hated phrase :P

Other than some moulded hair, I also don't see how any of these characters are more show accurate. Break dancing DJ does not look any more like the cartoon version than the Hasbro released SDCC/Fair exclusive. I think the fandom needs to be more honest. Its not really about show accurate its about anything without brushable hair [for some reason?!] and anything which makes MLP "non girly".
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 04:17:58 AM »
Judging from the comments on EQD about the figures- it really seems as though most of the bronies truly do not care that WLF has lied to its customers again and again. 

I don't know if it is attributable to their age or what, but the complete indifference to the fact that WLF has demonstrated such an obvious and blatant lack of integrity- is nearly as disappointing to me as the lack of integrity itself.  :(
I do think it is (partially at least) because WLF answers their demand for more "show accurate" pony figures/merchandise. "So what if they keep lying about not releasing figures anymore? Yay we are getting more show accurate pony merchandise/figures of OUR favorite characters!!"

I feel weird saying this, but the words/term "show-accurate" when it comes to MLP bugs me for some reason. D:

Other than some moulded hair, I also don't see how any of these characters are more show accurate. Break dancing DJ does not look any more like the cartoon version than the Hasbro released SDCC/Fair exclusive. I think the fandom needs to be more honest. Its not really about show accurate its about anything without brushable hair [for some reason?!] and anything which makes MLP "non girly".

Agree 100%.  I really hate the phrase "show-accurate" too.... so much so that it has become somewhat of a joke in the Eyes household.   

WLF is not a company I have really bought from in the past as I don't like their figures or merch, but even if I saw something I liked I would now refrain from buying it due to their dishonest practices. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:19:47 AM by brighteyes »
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
For WLF, I don't know if it's really 'show accurate' that is drawing the fandom's attention. After all, look at their newest figurine, that humanoid stance Twilight Sparkle.

I think it's the part of the fandom that produce fanart. The people are all very enamored with WLF because WLF takes fanart and makes it famous. Each person who makes MLP art thinks they might someday see their art on WLF's products.

This kind of thing is 'big' right now. Anything that encourages the involvement of the masses is a popular thing in our population. Realty shows and news stations are taking advantage of it, asking for more and more audience precipitation, and that's just the tip of the ice burg. Companies like WLF make the fans feel special and like their art can become the next big popular thing.

I have to admit it's a very enticing (and very lazy) way to run a business. WLF doesn't have to design anything on their own, they just go to the fans and take the most popular art and slap it on some products. Instant profit, and at the same time they develop a fanbase that love them no matter what.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 05:14:29 AM »

Except that these figures aren't really show accurate. That term in context with MLP really bugs me too and I don't know why o.O

I haven't bought any collectables from them, but I was disappointed with shirts and service 2nd (and seems like last) time I bought from them. Kinda sucks because they have really nice designs *sigh*

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 05:29:45 AM »
I'm glad I don't like any of the figures because I wouldn't want to give them any business. "This is the last one" hmmm... Somehow I don't believe them :P And how many variants of the same thing can you make anyway? :blink: Seems like even the bronies would get tired of it.
My Wish List

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 07:31:18 AM »
Does it make the artists more profitable on their own?  Because WLF takes exclusive rights to any art they submit and profits from it with only a minimal one time payment to the artist. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
I think it gives certain artists a higher profile and more respected status within the fandom. Therefore people want their art to be used as it makes them more likely to be commissioned or just more likely to be liked. If that makes sense :P

This is a fandom packed full of "celebrity fans" remember - just regular fans who for one reason or another are escalated to higher status so its perhaps not surprising some want so much to be recognised.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

AJLareneg

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 09:32:46 AM »

if we are being honest here, the hasbro brushies have a more 'show accurate' faces and bodies than the wlf toys. :b

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »
Well EQD posted something today-  no mention of the misrepresentations, no mention of an "explanation" from WLF.   Not terribly surprising I suppose.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
I know the WLF figures aren't really "show accurate", but at the moment I couldn't think of a better term for it. ^^;
It popped into my head when I was thinking back to when the Funko figures came out, there were a lot of " OMG these figures are so much better than Hasbro's stuff because the characters are show-accurate/ lack [girly, incorrectly-styled] brushable hair!" along with fans demanding more "show-accurate" stuff in general.
If I had a quarter for every time a " Where is Applejack's [brown] hat?!  :mad: " comment shows up whenever new Applejack merchandise gets revealed... ^^; 

As some of you mentioned, it likely is because in part WLF gives them "manly"/"totally not just for girls" products, hence why fans love them so much, even if they keep going back on re-releasing certain figures over and over again. ^^;

Speaking of the fan-art aspect of their popularity, I had wondered if WLF actually does their own MLP shirts anymore. Like, ones that don't have art from an fan-artist. IIRC, I remember when WLF first started their MLP line, there weren't a lot of "fan art" shirts (if any). Nowadays, it seems that's all they have for their shirts. They even have that year-long contest going on. ^^;
(Not knocking on any of the fan-artists themselves or anything - I'd be lying if I said I would never enter one of their shirt contests, if I felt confident enough).

Well EQD posted something today-  no mention of the misrepresentations, no mention of an "explanation" from WLF.   Not terribly surprising I suppose.
That is a bummer. :( I guess EqD doesn't want to risk potentially upsetting WLF if they were to bring up an article about their whole re-releasing " never going to be made again!!" figures situation.

Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
I know the WLF figures aren't really "show accurate", but at the moment I couldn't think of a better term for it. ^^;

Sorry, I wanted to say that figures/toys with fully moulded hair seem to be perceived as "show accurate" even though they are obviously not ^^;

Speaking of the fan-art aspect of their popularity, I had wondered if WLF actually does their own MLP shirts anymore. Like, ones that don't have art from an fan-artist. IIRC, I remember when WLF first started their MLP line, there weren't a lot of "fan art" shirts (if any). Nowadays, it seems that's all they have for their shirts. They even have that year-long contest going on. ^^;

I've noticed that some of the designs which previously had "fan made" sign now don't...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »
I realize the pony artists really are pleased that their designs are being turned into merch-  but why deal with a company that you know is completely dishonest?

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
Anyone else think that releasing the new variant on April 1st was kind of to hedge their bets? If it was popular, they could go ahead with it, but if it made people mad, they could always call it a joke and be done with it.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal