collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is your collecting strategy?  (Read 738 times)

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
What is your collecting strategy?
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »
You have a HUGE list of ponies on your want list so how do you go about collecting them all? Do you start at the top of the list and work your way down? Do you start with the most expensive ones until you get to the common ones? Do you buy on impulse and buy ponies whenever you happen to find one you want that is for sale? Or do you have a completely off the wall way of getting your ponies?

The reason I'm asking is because when I first started collecting, I went after only the ones I wanted. Now I've decided to expand my collection and I have a large amount of ponies on my want list and I don't know where to start xD So how do you all collect?
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: What is your collecting strategy?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
I spend my money on those I want the most, preferably spotting a couple I really want inside a lot. Both back when I was missing lots & now that I'm missing a few. Things not overly high on my wishlist I pick up when I spot a deal, or as tag alongs inside lots I picked up for other things.  Of course, when it comes to those second hand finds I take what I can get at reasonable prices, and rehome anything I don't wish to keep in my collection. I'm really picky about condition so in my case especially Patience is a Virtue. I try not to get carried away when an auction runs high for a nice one, or I spot a BIN well over what I am willing to pay as they always come around again.

I keep track of prices, and only "overpay" for ponies I love the most so I get my money's worth out of enjoyment. :D

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
I buy when I see a good deal! I sometimes will get a pony that is on my list and sometimes I will not. I do not like to over pay for anything at all. Guess I buy what will make me happy and I do not have.
I have even bought ponies that I never wanted. I can not pass up a .99 cents pony that ending in a few minutes :)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
I have a list organised by what I want most and I follow it pretty well, since most of them are priced the same I'm not worried about passing one lower on my list so I have money for one higher on my list. The higher priced ponies I put in their own category to buy if I find them at a good price, other wise they are for when I finish all my other ponies and will have no choice but to save so I can buy the more expensive ones.

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
This is an interesting question.
I'd def. be interested to see how other people went about it, especially people who are done/nearly done collections.

I'm nearly done the G3s.
How did I do it? I started like you did "most-wanteds only" but then I decided to go for ALL. I did it by "where's the bargains" buying. I went to the arena every day, and bought up ones who I didn't own who were at a affordable at the time price. Two dollar blow-outs, group lot dumps, commons-go-away sales, etc.  People rescue them from yardsales, and then make a bit of money from it on the arena, so that's cool. They're still TOTALLY find-able at yardsales & fleas, so I wanted to get in on G3 while they're still common...unlike G1, there's no "mega money" G3's. But I think later, there will be.

Go after whoever's price is down NOW
Like I just found out the other day Taffeta is like waaaay down on her price. She's not even worth re-hairing.
When I bought my whole set of perfume puffs off ebay yyeeeaars ago...they cost less than JUST 1 Red Roses NOW. Prices do shift, so take advantage to maximize your ponies!
Remember when Princess Sparkle appeared on the TV show "The OC"? That put her price up too.
I also trade whenever I can, anything I can, because trading is super fun too & really adds to collecting in my opinion.
Good luck with getting everybody! It's a quest, but it's so fun.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
I also have been buying alot of NIB G3 ponies. They seem to be low on the price right now. So I will grab them up :) 

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
I haven't complied a most-wanted list yet :blush: I just don't feel at the stage to do that. I do know ponies I want and that I will keep a bit of an eye out for, but it's not a major.

In doing this though I still have a decent amount of ponies. I'm most often browsing for bulk lots of G3s. That way I can increase my collection for the greatest value. It's working well as I have quite a lot but not many doubles.

I do want to increase my G1s but I want them in (my idea of a) good condition, this means it's hard to get  a group of ponies at a price I consider to be value for money.

I'm also trying hard to keep up to date with G4 releases.

I dunno, it may be a bit haphazard but it's working for me where I am now. Especially as I have categorically run out of room :biggrin:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
I find myself stuck on years. When I first started collecting. I grabbed ponies that I really wanted each by year. I went by that with G1s. As for G3s or G4s its been pretty much whatever I can find at the right price. I find that I really would like to finish my Us G1 standard collection not the Mail orders yet. So that is were my main focus is. I only have about 30 to go. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:14:14 PM by SkyCakes »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
well for me that is usually how much room I have right now, how much I want that pony , and on top of that who is expensive.

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
I don't have a definite way I collect my ponies. I'm usually patient so I'll wait till something pops up at a good price. I have a list of ponies that I do like more than others, so I'll keep them in mind when I'm shopping. Otherwise my pony buying habits depend on what mood I'm in, what I feel like spending and how much money I've already spent on other collections.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
I buy what I can afford. When I get close to completing my list, I find more ponies to want :lol:

Seriously, though. I try to buy common ones as much as my budget allows because I do tend to get "almost done" and then get into another set, gen, version, etc., and then slowly chip away at my Nirvana/rare list as budget allows and as I find them. At least one of the ponies on my wish list I have never seen for sale.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
I collect g1 and g4. My G1 strategy is collect the ones I really want for now. I figure I am limited of funds right now and I will never be able to money or room for all. For g4, I just collect the brushables 1 of each character. With the exception of my fashion style Rarity. Because she's my pony.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »
Since my grail is a complete U.S collection, I've been collecting by year pretty much, though I tend to skip ahead if I want something really badly.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
For G4 I buy whatever comes out, almost as soon as it's released. I'm a little behind the game right now because I promised myself I wouldn't spend anymore on G4 until I got my taxes back...... although that could break any day because it's killing me to see them in stores right now and not own them. haha

G3's and G1's I buy whatever strikes my fancy, whenever money allows, which isn't too often. G4's I don't own always take precedent over these, though.

G3.5 are VERY rare for me. If I see a really good deal, though, and I have money, I'll buy it.

and G2 I don't collect. YET.

*edit* and pony tattoos are my #1 tattoo priority right now. Just waiting for my artist to open up her shop, so I can add another one to my collection. She already has $300 paid towards her  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:06:36 PM by dxgirly »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
I keep an eye out for a few ponies I want on my want let and usually pick up any cheap ones I find.  I also pick up *any* g1s I find at the thrift store  -  they either go into my collection or up for sales and trade.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal