collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "pearly baby" restore, help!  (Read 422 times)

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
"pearly baby" restore, help!
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
I bought a few "rescue ponies" to restore and came across a body type I've not worked with yet when it comes to restoring. I'm pretty sure it's Ripple the Pearly Baby Sea pony, and I'm not sure how to go about fixing her stains with that pearl coat on top.
What I do know is that the stain appears to be pen/marker, and the pearl effect is not a part of the plastic, but probably some sort of paint or finish sprayed on after. Some of the pearl on her face and parts of her body is rubbed off as well, and if I can figure out a good pearlizer to use I'll fix it. The pearlizer I have now I think is too silvery.

Onto the picture!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bonus question: Is Merry Treats prone to being "burned"? She also has some pen/marker I was going to sun-fade.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: "pearly baby" restore, help!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
Yes, Merry Treats sun burns easily.  I would love to see what others answer for the sea pony fix, as I have a few in need of desperate help with stains and discoloring.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
That "pearly" is an applied paint. You most definitely will take it off if you do like I did and Magic Eraser it. Regular dish soap and Bar Keepers powder are pretty safe and won't take the pearl off unless you really have a go at it. If you can find something better I'd like to know about it to help out a few of my Original Herd.
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
I could be totally wrong about this, but I think sunfading would fade the ink marks without affecting the pearly paint.  You can reapply a pearly coat with pearlizing medium, but to get an even coat you might have to remove all the old paint with acetone then re-paint it.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
I'm really bummed Merry Treats burns! I wonder if I completely covered her and just left the pen spots to fade, would it burn the pen spots?

And yeah, I was planning on sunfading the pearly baby as well. She's absolutely mint besides the little section of pearl loss and the pen marks! I am determined to fix these little ladies up though, guess I should look up other fading solutions besides the sun!

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 04:39:57 AM »
Ah, Pearly Ripple is the best of allllll the baby seaponies, I would try sunfading her :)
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:57 AM »
I have seen Merry Treats burn and seen her successfully sun faded. More success than failure to be honest over the years - she is not particularly prone to age marks/cancer which tends to be a sign on a white pony that sun fading could be an issue. Like with every pony its a gamble and as long as you aware she may burn and keep an eye on her, perhaps its worth the risk?

As for Ripple; as you say the pearl is a coating so acetone/magic eraser will remove it. Unfortunately she is one of those ponies particularly prone to random spots and stains for some reason. Sun fading will not damage the coating and that for sure is your best bet. However again because of her colour and tendency to age marks, Ripple can burn but again the coating helps to protect her as does just keeping a regular eye on her :)

Good luck!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
Whew, I'm going to sunfade them both then, but keep an eye of course. I just need to pick where to put them to get maximum sun and yet be able to watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal