collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: An idea I had based on a dream for custom makers...  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
An idea I had based on a dream for custom makers...
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
A while ago, I dreamt that Claire's was selling blank ponies in various poses specifically for customization.
And then I wondered, if some people donated bait ponies so that we have one of each pose from each generation, would it be possible to use them to create a mold to make the real life version of them?

Like ok, I made a picture to show some examples.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One thing I was wondering though is if it would be legal? I mean if the person making the molds sold them, many customizers would rely on them probably and I'm not sure if that would tick off Hasbro.
Still, it'd make things easier if you want to make a pony in a particular pose.

Is it possible?

[Moving to customs ~ Mirn]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:36:31 PM by Mirnyj »
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: An idea I had based on a dream for custom makers...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »
A few members here already do this to a certain extent... but they have to stay very low-production for obvious reasons.  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
This is a great idea, and it is indeed possible.
It has already been done (ish) in the form of the "Dollar General Baby" and "Crumpet Fakie". Of course, that's fakie companies doing it, but they're doing it with the original mold. 2 others are "baby rearing/truly" and "tootsie with a bad head" For the first they shrunk the rearing mold & gave a new poor head, the second they use Tootsie's body and usually give it a funky big head with glass eyes.

If the fakie companies are doing it and those are on shelves now, is it still illegal? They're never called My Little Pony/not claiming to be it.
Would Hasbro care? Yes if it's G4 because it stops people buying what's on shelves right now. G1, 2, or 3? No idea because Hasbro is not making money from ye olden secondhand sales.

The problem (one of several) is that ponies aren't made in any real way a person could imitate at home. I think they're blowmolded, which means some special sprayer thing coats an inside of a mold so pony is hollow still. But that's lots of specialty equipment no one can get. But, maybe someone can shed some light on manufacturing process?

Offline moevelvet

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »
This is a cool idea, I've been wondering lately about the possibility or repro accessories.

Hasbro did sell a blank G3 pony, but only in the Core 7 pose.  I bought a bunch for my birthday party a few years ago.  I think it's still available on their website.
Current profile pic from: http://kero444.deviantart.com/
Ember by Nence

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
The problem (one of several) is that ponies aren't made in any real way a person could imitate at home. I think they're blowmolded, which means some special sprayer thing coats an inside of a mold so pony is hollow still. But that's lots of specialty equipment no one can get. But, maybe someone can shed some light on manufacturing process?

Oh gosh, I totally forgot about that! Hmm. That is tricky.
Unless maybe you could only cast half, and then have two halves? But that'd still be full.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »
It's definitely not legal.  Most of the fakies 'get away with it' because they're produced in a country that is notorious for not giving a darn about copyright law.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »
honestly, I can't see any way to make a project like that worth the work it would take; baits go for $1-5 in general, so they'd have to be super cheap(or very htf body shapes) to be worth it.  Even G1 boy baits only go for like $10...
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Some people do make resin cast of ponies already... but they are not sold as customizing bases, they are sold as finished customs.
The issue is copyright and cost. Most Resin cast for ponies are solid unless you have a rotocasting machine which can be made but again cost + space + time to make.

Now I can see someone doing this with completely original made pony figures. No issue with Copyright there...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:32:23 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 01:30:24 AM »
I've been thinking of doing this myself, actually, as I want some blank (white, unpainted and with white hair) g1 ponies to display Pony Wear on in front of my MOC pony wear, and I don't feel like wiping clean actual G1s just for this, but I don't think I'd be selling due to copyright and stuff.
I like the idea tho!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 02:12:36 AM »
Maybe it is possible to make bases from styropor....I know someone who has a business in making styropor *shapes* for the hobby and craft market! I will contact him on facebook ad ask if it is possible and affordable! *Be right back when I got some more info!*
I asked the person some questions and he is going to overthink the possibility's!

Unfortunately he can only make 2D styropor figures and not 3D!  :(

But maybe there is a market for 2D ponies???
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:49:12 AM by Lady.Arachnia »

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »

Unfortunately he can only make 2D styropor figures and not 3D!  :(

But maybe there is a market for 2D ponies???

Ha! Well that'd probably be drawings.

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
I have no real knowledge about this kind of stuff, but perhaps 3D printing could make this happen? Of course legality is still totally questionable.
But I think you could 3D print hollow ponies
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »
So you can 3d print ponies, I do so sometimes. But its still going to be expensive for a hollow pony with a nice finish.
And first someone has to model it, and that can be expensive if you don't know how to do it.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
There's also the technology to get a scan of a pony donne. I have a friend that works at a printing company and they scan sculptures (and people!) for print, or sometimes just the raw file. But, like everything else already recommended, that is a very expensive option. A 1 inch "selfie" scan and print there is $25, a 4 inch one is about $80. Although...Getting a scan and just receiving the file without a print is only $10...If I had a 3D printer, I would probably do that and print my own ponies, heh. Both the head and body would probably have to be in two parts for it to be hollow, though...Unless you get it done in a printer that doesn't require supports. Which would, again, be incredibly expensive.

Yeah, ultimately I think either casting or printing ponies as sellable custom bases is not worth it in the end. Materials are expensive, it would be time consuming, and it is so so much cheaper to just buy a bait and paint it whatever color.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:01:12 PM by Jocelyn »

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »
There's also the technology to get a scan of a pony donne. I have a friend that works at a printing company and they scan sculptures (and people!) for print, or sometimes just the raw file. But, like everything else already recommended, that is a very expensive option. A 1 inch "selfie" scan and print there is $25, a 4 inch one is about $80. Although...Getting a scan and just receiving the file without a print is only $10...If I had a 3D printer, I would probably do that and print my own ponies, heh. Both the head and body would probably have to be in two parts for it to be hollow, though...Unless you get it done in a printer that doesn't require supports. Which would, again, be incredibly expensive.

Yeah, ultimately I think either casting or printing ponies as sellable custom bases is not worth it in the end. Materials are expensive, it would be time consuming, and it is so so much cheaper to just buy a bait and paint it whatever color.

Yeah 3d scans are a good option, but once you have the file you'll still need software to make it printable (cleaning up the file and adding a thickness to the solid shape)

I think support material wouldn't be too much of a problem, but it would have to be in two pieces to be hollow. But you're right, its still an expensive option.
I would print them on my printer at home, but the resolution isn't as high as some professional printers  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal