collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: South Africa ponies  (Read 5456 times)

Wishing Well

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: South Africa ponies
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:16 PM »
I was watching that auction when it started at 500 Rand....

pixieponies

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 12:31:01 AM »
i have my family over in Johannesburg looking for MLP for me  :biggrin:

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »
Has anyone ever thought of contacting prima toys to see if they have any info? I know it's a slim chance, but maybe they have information stored somewhere that they could access to she's some light for us collectors?
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
i am sure people have contacted them in the past, but i can't remember what happened.

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

WildLace

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:57 AM »
I am from South Africa and I have contacted prima toys many many many times. Their service is shocking. they dont respond to any emails and when you get them on the phone they are very rude.

I will keep a lookout for these ponies. i am looking for one that I had as a Child and i think it was an SA one. I have looked at all the pics of the G1 and my pony is not there. She was white and had rainbow hair. she also had wings. I cannot remember her cutie mark.

When  i got older I gave her away to my little cousins to play with. i wish I didn't do that.

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 05:05:53 AM »
I know there is a South African Starshine that seems to match your description - could it have been her? There's a pic in the Nirvana Gallery here:
South African ponies
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
it does sound like starshine :D however there may well still be south african ponies out there that we do not know about :)

love pkw xxx

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
It'll be nice to have a local looking for ponies :biggrin:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

TheMidnightKeeper

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »
Hi Guys!

Breezing through and saw this topic, couldn't help but answer.

Can I just take a moment to dispell any and all ideas that SA pony's are rare because of some kind of violence/war/other rather radically weird idea?

I live here in South Africa, and trust me, SA ponies aren't rare because they were being piled up in bonfires on the streets in a civil war. We have some problems as a nation, but thats...really not one of them.

I also doubt the more touching theories about them still being recyled in play somewhere because we're all so dirt poor. It is true that in some of the rural areas, that sort of upcycling of toys will happen for those very reasons- but MLP isn't really in that sort of demographic. Kids in that kind of poverty are way more likely to be playing with 'township' specials like unique [and exceptional] wire handcrafted cars. Ironically, these are tourist essentials too :D They're stunning works of art, actually.

MLP is kinda in a middle class girls demographic, just like in the rest of the world. I'd speculate they are rare more from snob value, to be honest. SA has a big culture of things from 'overseas' being better then local. If you asked me to put my money on a cause, I'd say they simply got 'choked out' by the imported American MLPs, which were also very widely available and not very different in price- I think my backcards suggest something like a R5 difference, which wouldn't have been immense. I suspect Hasbro/Prima suffered from some of the misapprehensions that other folks in this thread have, and thought they needed to cater to a poorer middle-africa stereotype market then there actually ended up being- for those middle class and upward, SA is an urban metropolis like any other. Even for our poorest of the poor, their lifestyle will be more urban influenced then in other, poorer parts of Africa. They probably decided merely importing from America would be less hassle for them in the end then manufacturing the cheaper ones locally. We don't have that much of a plastics industry- we are mainly into metals, paper, mining and then intangibles like banking, commerce etc.

It was also, I'd imagine, a small market for them. Sadly, where our history does let us down is in Aartheid, and I'd imagine in the early 80's, phenomenan like MLP would have been restricted to a very small and single race demographic. As I mentioned, the very poor would mostly have been into creating toys themselves, rather then buying a cheaper varient, especially in the 80's when there wasn't any homogeniety of culture.

I'm glad to say that's not the case with the modern MLP incarnations, which are enjoyed by little girls of every colour and race!

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »
Thank you for shedding some light on the subject. I really appreciate it :biggrin:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
Very interesting to hear from South African natives.  Some points were addressed that I never really thought about before. 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
themidnightkeeper ~ thank you very much for posting :hug: i was hoping you would see this thread and chip in :)

love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal