collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Paypal Rule - 180 Days to Open Claim  (Read 789 times)

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
New Paypal Rule - 180 Days to Open Claim
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »
Starting November 18 2014 Paypal will be increasing their 45 day window to open a claim to 180 days. This is 6 months.

I wanted to make sure all the sellers here on this forum were aware of this new change. I searched around and haven't seen it mentioned as of yet. (If I missed it sorry)

I hope it's alright if I link to the Ebay thread where I first saw it: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/PayPal-Dispute-Filing-Window-Increasing-To-180-Days/td-p/22744865

This is longer than any credit card I'm aware of. I don't understand how this could possibly be possible or how anyone is supposed to have any records of something that happened half a year ago.

I can only hope that at some point, other online payment options on Ebay start coming around. This has gotten out of hand.

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New Paypal Rule - 180 Days to Open Claim
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
Wow, that is a long time! Great for buyers who are waiting for slow packages in the mail.. I don't know about sellers though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
I believe this for the time being relates to eBay members in the UK only. It does not pertain to state to state transactions with in the US.

This is longer than any credit card I'm aware of. I don't understand how this could possibly be possible or how anyone is supposed to have any records of something that happened half a year ago.

Generally the dispute time for charge backs is 180 days through any major credit card company.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:45 AM »
That's great! This will be really helpful for buying things from people overseas or paying for things in advance but having to wait for the goods (eg. custom-made things and pre-orders).
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:29:26 AM »
Woah...not so good as a seller :( That sucks!

I leave any money from a transaction in paypal...just on the off chance you get some nonsense claim back from a buyer for some unknown reason or someone randomly wanting to return something. Then the money for refunds is always sitting there. I dont mind waiting 45 days to claim the money as mine essentially and until I know a buyer is completely happy...but now that period has to be 6 months?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
Ugh...  this is going to be a nightmare.  :(  6 months is a looooooooong time to hold funds in reserve just in case! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
So based on my understanding of this new policy, as of 11/18/14, this will be for all sales paid through paypal whether it be ebay, etsy, arena etc? Unless I completely misunderstood something that I was reading.

I really don't understand the point of this "try before you buy" policy, buyers for the most part already have a lot of protection. I understand that surface international takes 6+ weeks or that custom made items can take months to arrive, shouldn't circumstances like that be separate from regular transactions?

I tried reading through some threads on ebay about it where someone had called in and spoke with paypal to get more clarification about this new policy and it really sounds like this is bad news for sellers. If this only pertains to international sales, then I can see this scaring many sellers away from dealing with international buyers.

I typically leave the funds in my paypal account untouched until either I've received feedback or the 45 day window has passed, waiting 6 months is ridiculous though.

If I did misunderstand something, please feel free to correct me, I don't deal well with legal lingo :blush:

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »
I believe this for the time being relates to eBay members in the UK only. It does not pertain to state to state transactions with in the US.

It is already implemented in the UK (as far as I know). It is coming to USA Paypal in November.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »

It is already implemented in the UK (as far as I know). It is coming to USA Paypal in November.

That is what I said, for the time being it is currently only in the UK.  The bottom line is that it ends up aligning the credit card user agreement with the paypal/ebay user agreements as most credit card companies have had a 180 day policy or similar  since way before eBay existed. eBay has always had a policy that will not let you close your account for six months for this exact reason. They wanted available recourse back to you in case there was a chargeback.

Anyways on a lighter note I usually get tired of everything I buy in about 6 months. So this policy is going to save me a lot of money! In fact I'm gathering up everything I've purchased in the last 6 months from Ebay to return it. Empty shipping tape rolls, my empty ink cartridges, the stainless fry pan I scorched, and the silk skirt I threw in the dryer by mistake. Gee, I won't even have to sell on Ebay once I start returning all this stuff!  :P Kidding, just kidding!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal