collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: EDIT: The gift option, rude or not? Previously: USA-UK Postal Delays?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile

EDIT: My new question is, if a seller asks you to pay via gift, is it rude to say no? I've had to do this many a time, since I know if something goes wrong, paypal won't refund you, given the fact you've paid via gift option. So, is it rude to the seller, to say you won't pay via gift, due to this, but will pay normally?
I don't want to come across as rude, I just don't want anything to happen where I end up with no money!

Thanks!  :blush:

PREVIOUSLY: I think there may be some delays, I'm worried sick about a parcel of mine posted on Monday 15th July and I keep thinking it's still too early to properly worry, and that it'll be here tomorrow, and then tomorrow comes, I wait in all morning for the postman, and only junk mail arrives. Am I worrying too early? I don't think I've had a parcel take so long to get here in over a year, so it's causing me to be a little more apprehensive than usual.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:02:51 AM by Icecrystalline »

kaskurgi

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: USA-UK Postal Delays?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Over seas stuff has been taking a bit longer then normal lately. Took about 2.5 months for my little care package to my pen pal in Ireland to get there. While hers got to me in about a 1.5 months.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: USA-UK Postal Delays?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 03:00:20 AM »
Thank you Kas! So pleased to know I'm freaking a little early! :P x

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: EDIT: The gift option, rude or not? Previously: USA-UK Postal Delays?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »
Personally, I feel that it's rude of a seller to ask a buyer to pay by gift (expect for certain situations: total cost is only $2-3; seller is picking up an item at cost & not making a profit; ect.). It puts the buyer in an awkward situation, as it makes it hard for the buyer to "say no", especially if this was not part of the original terms of the sale. Usually if a buyer is not willing to send as "gift", the seller will ask the buyer to pay for fees instead.

To answer your question, no I don't think it's rude of you to say no in this situation.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
If the seller wants to accept Paypal and all the increased benefits and international market exposure that accepting Paypal brings, then THEY need to pay for the services Paypal offers.  The buyer should NEVER be paying the fees.

Would it be okay if you went to the grocery store and went to pay, but the cashier tells you, "You'll need to pay *me* before I ring up your purchases.  Then you can pay for your food."  Would you pay the cashier or would you leave your cart piled up high with perishables right there? 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »
Just be honest and say, "I'm going to make a regular payment in order to protect myself as a buyer."

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
tralalala la la la it's against paypal's Terms of service to ask to be paid as a gift for a item purchase so no fees are taken out. You can not ask that the buyer pay fees separately. People need to stop this crap.

It's the seller's responsibility to pay the fees.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
I don't think it's rude at all to say no. If you pay as a gift, you're not covered if anything goes wrong. I say cover yourself first and foremost. It's up to you as a buyer if you want to be nice enough to pay as a gift. Sellers shouldn't be asking buyers to send payment as a gift in the first place. I think it's nice when a buyer does this, but I would NEVER ask someone to do this. I think it's rude in the first place, against PayPal's rules and it puts the buyer in an uncomfortable spot, especially if they want to make sure they have a back-up in case things go awry.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Okay, thanks guys for clearing that up!  :bigups:

I've  asked for payment as a gift once or twice myself, I'll admit it, although this particular thread was asked due to a seller asking me to pay as a gift recently.

In future, when selling, I'll not ask for gift payment, but will 'just pay it. Most of the time I'm not even looking to make any profit, just shift some unnecessary objects!

Thank you so much everyone, now I know, I'll stop using gifting, and will stick to my guns! :gallop: :nod:

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
The only time I think it's rude to say no to the gift option is if you are paying for something really cheap, like a dollar or two.  Paypal fees can really hurt then, esp. if it's an international sale.  There's no point in selling something if Paypal fees eat up most or all of the amount. 

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
I always feel really awkward when sellers ask me to send money as a gift, especially when it's a $15-20 payment. I don't want to say no and make them feel like I don't trust them or anything, but I don't feel safe sending money with no back up plan just in case.

(I'm just curious; if you bought a cheap (1-3 dollar) item and the seller asked you to pay, say... 25 cents to help with the fees on a cheap item, would that be wrong too?)

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
Before the Arena moved, there was a stickied post warning against gift payments at the top of the sales forum. Maybe it's time for that thread to come back since this topic of "who pays the fees" seems to come up in Trader Support at least once a month.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
(I'm just curious; if you bought a cheap (1-3 dollar) item and the seller asked you to pay, say... 25 cents to help with the fees on a cheap item, would that be wrong too?)

I still think that's rude. Why should I have to pay their fee?

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »
I've actually asked sellers if they'd prefer me to send payment as a gift, especially if I've dealt with them before and they have perfect feedback.  It's my way as a buyer to try to help others out since so many profits are being eaten up by fees nowadays.  I don't pay as a gift for sellers that I'm not familiar with from here or that have little or negative feedback, though.

I always appreciate it when I'm paid using the gift option for the same reasons stated above, but I'd never require it as a term of sale.  I don't really see it as rude but can definitely understand why someone would not want to.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
I don't feel comfortable using the Paypal gift options for purchases either. If I see a sales thread that says the seller only accepts Paypal if you use the gift option I won't buy from them. A seller recently asked me if I minded using the gift option, but said in the PM they sent that they understood if I didn't want to use it. I don't mind a seller asking this way. :) but I don't like to feel forced to use it to buy from someone.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal