collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Discord a Pony? What counts as "pony"? Fair Exclusive NOT a Pony?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
What counts as a pony?
MLP has always had non-pony characters, like witches, ghosts, and even toys like Cutiesaurus & Creamscicle the dinosaur & giraffe. The pony animal friends are well liked! If they'd of made the Moochik or Danny or something, they'd of probably done as ok as Megan dolls.

G4 of course has Gilda & Cranky Doodle Donky (who's toy is super cute as a blindbag) and many others too. Having a big and cool cast of characters and extras and villains both pony & non is good. Having merch of diverse characters is cool too but.....

(SDCC Blog posting pictures of said toy--it's a Discord in a chair figure)

So I have been hearing this year that the fair pony is Discord?
Do you think he counts as a pony just because he is in the MLP show?
SHOULD he count?
Do people not consider their G1 collection to be "Complete" unless is has Megan & Molly in it as well as all the UK princess dragons & all bushwoolies?

But then, the alternative to getting him as the fair item was (clearly) a common toy dressed in an outfit with a fancy box.
Some people liked it. Others didn't.
Also with the equestria girl of ManeIac, "the doll was better than the pony" got brought up. (Whether or not it was given more attention it was all opinions that arose because the doll existed, it didn't matter how good it was or wasn't: it was being used "in place of" an actual pony--unless the EQGs are considered as ponies too.)

I don't know what to think of the possibility of the fair pony not being a pony at all.
I mean, I don't hate Discord, I just don't find him attractive to collect. I know loads of people really love him, and that they will like the item but I can't help feeling..........not...pony-appreciated that it's him? Unless the fair is getting a surprise item that IS an actual pony character and he really IS JUST for the SDCC? They've had 2 items in the past (Doll & ManeIac) so it could happen. But I wanted to know what everyone thinks.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Is Discord a Pony? What counts as "pony"? Fair Exclusive NOT a Pony?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »
The figure itself was meh.

What ticks me off more than the fact that it is Discord is that he is NOT EXCLUSIVE.  Hasbro is just re-packaging the SAME EXACT DISCORD FIGURE that is scheduled to release at ToysRus for 1/2 the price.

The only thing you get that is unique, is the flashing stand? Oh wait, no, we already had that with the bedazzled DJ Pony. 

Okay so the only thing special or unique you get in this set- is the privilege of paying $25 MOAR for some (admittedly pretty cool) packaging.

Truly, I am shocked.

I suppose it is possible that the Fluttershy figure is unique, but I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that is not a unique figure either, and will also be released in some form in the Guardians of Harmony collection this fall.

SO MUCH FAIL HASBRO.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
I dont think I would have minded so much it if it was a unique Discord, but this is just unique packaging with different eyes than the so much cheaper Guardians of Harmony version. I am very upset that I bought something I expected to be exclusive or unique, when I really just paid for fancy packaging.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
I'll say the same thing I said on facebook: Nope.

I think what I'm learning with more and more of the FIM special editions; How much of a girl I actually am. I like pretty ponies, I'm not interested in discord, I mean I get that this is what is popular now but I really miss beautiful pretty ponies with brushable hair. Sad :(

It's a bit like ponies can't be beautiful or cute anymore. The whole girly side is being removed in favor of...not sure what really. Why Isn't it okay for it to be girly and pretty and still be acceptable to everyone. The fluttershy just sorta looks meh in this set, like she's added just so it's still 'pony'. I don't know, it just makes me sad. I love MLP and want to like it but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:20:25 PM »
Discord isn't a pony, he's a "friend" of the ponies (and, depending on the episode, he's not always the best of friends.)  :P

Personally, I don't mind them including something that isn't specifically a pony.  If they'd included oh, let's say, G4 Megan as an Equestria Girl, that might've worked.  My problem is the problem others have had.  Discord isn't exclusive.  His packaging is.  :(. That isn't very fair to all if the SDCC collectors who are putting in so much time and money to get him.  It makes it seem as if Hasbro really doesn't care about the collector market.

Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »
Most definitely NOT a pony! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
I suppose it is possible that the Fluttershy figure is unique, but I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that is not a unique figure either, and will also be released in some form in the Guardians of Harmony collection this fall.

SO MUCH FAIL HASBRO.

And honestly if she doesn't get a release I will be really upset. You don't make a main character a hard to obtain exclusive.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »
Discord is a dragonequs or some such nonsense. He is not a pony.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
He's not a pony but he's supposed to have pony in him.

Quote from: show
He has the head of a pony, and a body made up of all sorts of things.

well technically:
Arm of a lion
Arm of a gryphon
Body of an avian
Foot of an equine
Foot of a dragon
Tail of a dragon (maybe)
Neck of an equine
Head of a I-don't-know-what but it doesn't look equine to me
One antler
One horn
One bird wing
One bat wing

Maybe his head is actually a mule or donkey.. but I don't think so..

Anyway, there are mixed feelings about his one as per-usual.. you got a mass of people who don't like the figure here, then you have the small % of people here who do like it.. add to that all the collectors on other sites and bronies.. then it possibly balances out...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »
More like 'Fair NOT exclusive NOT pony'. The only thing exclusive about the whole thing is... the packaging?

SDCC Fair Exclusive Box.

EDIT: Okay, maybe that throne might be something special, but again, SDCC Fair Exclusive Furniture? Still doesn't ring quite right for me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:02:09 PM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
Maybe he is a pony toy but not a toy pony

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
Totally Fugly for a fair exclusive. But you think I would be getting used to that by now.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »
If the siren mermaids can be drawn as ponies, seems maybe Discord can be too....a quick search turned up this fan video of a "baby discord" that looks a little bit pony:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl33BHFbSMw

Eh...more like Spike the dog.  I'll buy that Q can be a dog.  Even I can't call him a pony, and I stretch the definition quite a bit...

Instead, I propose exclusive "Urban Applejack" with mohawk haircut, casually-worn denim jacket and animal-print miniskirt:

I just threw her together.  She'll need an earring, a cigarette and maybe heels to be the Fair Exclusive.

Edited to add:
I just saw what we're talking about and Dang that's an ugly pair of figures.  My Urban Applejack is waaay cooler.  He does have one hoof though so he does have a "toehold" on being pony...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:49:20 AM by lostpony »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 12:49:11 AM »
No way, Discord is absolutely not a pony. A friend, like the non-pony G1s, is a good category for him I think.

Its kind of amazing that the SDCC exclusive isn't even trying to be a pony this year. Fluttershy looks like she was haphazardly thrown on so they could deny claims that the ""exclusive"" isn't a pony. She doesn't fit with him at all, hard plastic figure more like Funko vs weird jointed pony more like a normal MLP. And they're not looking at one another, the same object, or even in the same direction.

Nothing about this not-at-all exclusive shows any effort or even planning.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 06:54:10 AM »
Discord is not a pony.

And I thought his head was a goat?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal