collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to identify a rerooted pony?  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
Re: How to identify a rerooted pony?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »
I still dont believe they are rehairs.. The hair doesnt look new at all.

And its sometimes really hard to remove a head, sometimes you need to help it with a knife. And as others already said, people often remove the head to clean the pony, not just for re-rooting.

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
Starbow is minus a washer, Streaky isn't. I've got a photo of Starbow, Streaky's neckhole was a bit small. There is just more hair visible than I'm used to seeing and it is pretty much identical to how my Sugarberry reroot looks.  :blink:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
It looks normal to me. A lot are not very neat. I have some that look like a disaster, and I opened them myself. I have also messed up hair by scrubbing it with a brush to remove rust stains...
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
They really don't look at all like re-roots to me, and I've seen plenty (surrounded by army of customs). 

It doesn't surprise me though that Starbow may have had a knife taken to her head to remove the head and look inside- is the washer original?  It's common for rust or gunk to be in international ponies).  The baby heads are really hard to get off sometimes.

toally agree, expect I am not surrounded by a reroot army : ) they don't look like rehairs at all, plus some euro pony colours aren't an exact match to dollyhair which could make rehairing difficult or more obvious

uk/ euro ponies heads are so hard to take off, i tend to behead all of mine to remove the tail washers but i don't like it one bit, give me a early us pony any day to behead

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
Here are some really nice pictures of rainbow customs with rooted hair-  see how shiny brand new hair looks? 
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,335087.msg850462.html#msg850462

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
I have to say it doesn't look rerooted to me.  Especially since the hair is in such rough condition and you said inside they required cleaning.  It is very difficult to get a matching cut (just look at all the g1 customs that try and try and never get it right) I think it's more likely that play and wear has caused the hair to shift in the head a bit, leaving it looking a little rough, just like the outside looks a little rough.  Some of my G1s have looked similar on the inside (just a hot mess) and some are nice and tight.  It's hard to tell from your pictures but from what I can see I don't think rehair.

I'll be stalking this though. :)
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
They don't look like reroots to me either. And having no washers wouldn't mean they would be rerooted either. Recently I had a pony come to me with no tail and I had an extra tail in her color I had gotten in a lot. Her neck was already loose so I just used a zip tie and gave her the tail and viola, it was as if she was never missing one to begin with. Some people automatically do this to avoid rust.

TwilightOwl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
I'll chime in with everyone saying "not a re-hair". I open and clean almost all my g1 ponies and have come across roots like those pictured in ponies I was certain had original hair ( ie. My childhood herd).  Normal play wear can make the factory roots messy, as can cleaning the inside of the head. The clincher is the hair length and condition. New or even donated vintage hair wouldn't be smooth at the top and kinky/ stretched at the ends. I hope you guys can work it out :-)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
They look totally original.

As far as opening a pony, there are a lot of reasons people do so, not just to reroot or replace a washer. I open every single pony I get, Nirvanas included, wether I can see something is wrong with them or not. Sometimes a pony can look fine on the outside and be a mess on the inside, so I'll pop their head off and take a look. I don't remove washers unless they are rusty. I have plenty of ponies who's neck seals have been broken and nothing replaced/removed.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »
Well if Streaky is sent back.... you can send her to me, LOL.

I'm gonna say no to the rehair theory. Most of my ponies look like this after a good scrubbing. I'm a TLC collector mostly, and I've had a lot with rust coming through mane plugs. After being scrubbed on the outside, they look like this inside... and I broke the factory seal myself. A good scrub inside also produces the same effect, or makes it worse! I like to keep original hair where possible too, so I don't actually currently have any rehairs - and at least half of my collection would look like this to some degree.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
I agree with the rest of the "herd" here... :nod:  They don't look like rehaired ponies to me either.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Fransponies

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
I have a starbow. I popped off her head to take a look, and it looks almost identical to the picture shown. I don't think mine is a re-hair because her hair is super frizzy and old. Plus, the pony is pretty raggedy looking like no one had cleaned or did anything to her. I am guessing that is just how they were originally haired by the factory.

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
I have my original Starbow I got as a child and she looks very similar.  As someone who does re-roots I can say it would be very hard to get that much wear on "new" hair.  Those ponies looked to be aged appropriately.

wingsinmoonlight

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
Another vote for not rehaired here.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
No way those are rehairs.  Nope.  A rehair would not have their hair that rough, and besides, most of the hair now used wears better.  It would not get frizzy the way the older hair would, and that is MOST certainly old hair. 

Sheesh, there's just no way.  I couldn't even think to consider those were rehairs. . . 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal