collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Just a general curiosity please explain?  (Read 1635 times)

GustySunshine

• Trade Count: (0)
Just a general curiosity please explain?
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
I am still a bit new to this forum/fandom but I have noticed more often than not many members on here seem skiddish or paranoid especially when it comes to buying or trading. Could someone please explain what has happened to make things this way? I mean no offense at all but it's a shame :(

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Just a general curiosity please explain?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »
"Not many members seem (skittish?) or paranoid" - but the rest of your post seems to imply that they are? *headtilt*  Not sure which way you're asking the question, assuming the "not" was in error.

The MLP community is about as old as the internet, so we've seen it all - the good, the bad, the ugly.  To me it just seems like a healthy dose of caution.  Trust is earned, not implicit.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »
I'm sure if someone has been scammed before then there will always be a bit more caution when buying. I've never been scammed by anyone on the Arena but I'm always cautious anyway.

There's been a recent thread about some glitter funkos that is apparently a scam so I imagine everyone is extra cautious at the moment when it comes to sales (especially if they're too good to be true!)

But it's been my experience that most people here are very trusting. Even though I've never asked for it, I've even had Arena people send me gift payment for items bought and I think that shows the level of trust of Arena members. It's just a shame when some transactions turn sour.

I would say most people here are very trusting. Is there anything in paticular that makes you think otherwise? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:12:21 PM »
"Not many members seem (skittish?) or paranoid" - but the rest of your post seems to imply that they are? *headtilt*  Not sure which way you're asking the question, assuming the "not" was in error.

The MLP community is about as old as the internet, so we've seen it all - the good, the bad, the ugly.  To me it just seems like a healthy dose of caution.  Trust is earned, not implicit.

Here's the split: "more often than not", "many members seem..."

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
I think you are alluding to the questions in your sales thread?

There is a big scam going on in the Arena right now (you can read about it over in TCS), with exclusive ponies. Personally, I think everyone is a bit on edge right now because of it, so if a new member with no feedback (who also has 'sun' in her username) has ponies for sale that are not available to purchase in stores yet, it makes people wary.

It's hard being a newbie to the Arena because you can't get any feedback unless someone trusts you and takes a leap of faith, but because of scams like the current one, users are being especially careful right now.

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
What Baby Sugarberry said is spot on. There's a little fiasco involving someone who scammed several members, and, if I recall, had no feedback to speak of. Having a bit of feedback is a good way to prove you are trustworthy. (though having good feedback doesn't always guarantee you will have an easy transaction..)

GustySunshine

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »
Ah I see. I wasn't aware there were scammers around here or whatnot. I mean everyone is super friendly I just wanted to ask. I know if someone scammed me there would be hell to pay though  :mad:

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »
Yes, we do get a bad apple every now and then here, but everyone else is very trustworthy. If you want to build some feedback, I'd recommend selling some cheap items here.  ^.^

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
I don't think this community is particularly skittish. If you are talking about all the questions on your sales thread, you are just new with no feedback offering brand new and not yet officially released ponies without providing proof pictures in the thread. That raises red flags.

Offline Dorothy Rose

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »
Also, if you have sold things on Ebay or another place where you have good feedback, giving potential buyers/sellers a link to that feedback can help.  For my first few transactions, people asked for that, and I believe it helped until I was able to establish feedback here.

Dorothy Rose
Want List

GustySunshine

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 01:23:44 AM »
Ah I understand more now. Well thank you all for your input :3

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 01:44:41 AM »
Also, if you have sold things on Ebay or another place where you have good feedback, giving potential buyers/sellers a link to that feedback can help.  For my first few transactions, people asked for that, and I believe it helped until I was able to establish feedback here.
I second this. This is actually how I made my first transaction here :)

Offline nogames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 01:56:46 AM »
[Removing unhelpful remarks - Loa]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:07:55 AM by Loa »

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 02:11:31 AM »
Moved to Trader Support.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »
I don't think asking for pictures or feedback from another source is being paranoid or skiddish.  It's called being safe. Also when you have several people requesting additional information from you and you are not providing it, it looks suspicious. If you had provided said information then most likely folks would be more apt to work with you. It's nothing against you, it's them protecting themselves and their fellow collectors around them, especially when you have items listed that have not even hit the retail floor.  :)
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal