collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some horses and other animals (updated, page 3)  (Read 2753 times)

divalei

• Trade Count: (0)
Some horses and other animals (updated, page 3)
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »
Digital drawing is bit difficult to me but practice makes the master, right. So, here's some horses.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quick question, should I colour this or not? I kinda want to but underwater scenes are rather difficult, I did one once and well, took like a two weeks to finish it.

The original

The re-done

Just because of bones are showing.

To me horses are easy to draw but I want to learn to draw semi-realistic humans, but thus far, I've gotten no constructive criticism. Friends and family are no no because I know they will say "it's awesome" so, any ideas where to post or where to ask?

Lol, I changed the title to suit more what I show here, horses and animals and stuff.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:13:32 AM by divalei »

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Some horses
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »
Oooh that blue one is gorgeous! Is it traditional?

I think you're definitely getting there with your digital sketching, too. The zombie one is particularly impressive! I also like the tail design on the hippocampus. If you feel like colouring it, I say go for it! I'm sure the result will be worth the time and effort. :)

I'm also in the same boat when it comes to drawing horses vs. humans. I also struggled at first with the semi-realistic style since I'd mostly done big-eyed anime style and such since I was 12 or something... But all it really takes is practice, practice, practice. Studying photographs and drawing self-portraits using a mirror have been helpful training methods for me. I'm always willing to offer what little advice I can, if you'd like to post your drawings either here or privately. Do you have a deviantArt account? I think there are some specific groups devoted to giving critique, although I can't name any unfortunately... 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

divalei

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:17:21 AM »
Oooh that blue one is gorgeous! Is it traditional?

It is, it's done about same as this one below. We were asked to draw pegasus. It was part of character design class. The one below is extra one, teacher asked me draw another one since I was finished way too early.

I'm also in the same boat when it comes to drawing horses vs. humans. I also struggled at first with the semi-realistic style since I'd mostly done big-eyed anime style and such since I was 12 or something... But all it really takes is practice, practice, practice. Studying photographs and drawing self-portraits using a mirror have been helpful training methods for me. I'm always willing to offer what little advice I can, if you'd like to post your drawings either here or privately. Do you have a deviantArt account? I think there are some specific groups devoted to giving critique, although I can't name any unfortunately...

I do have DA-account but I haven't used it like for a year or something. And I might want to make a new account just for getting the critique. Just maybe. For some reason I feel uneasy when I'm using DA.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have full-size mirror but I can use photos, and if I find some who wants to use camera, I can take my own photos what to use for studying. And I probably should start from the basics, skeleton, muscles and etc.

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:18:34 AM »
wow, i love your art :) i really like the dead hores^^

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:32:44 AM »
Those look great! Keep up the good work :)
And you could probably ask for crit here, or on dA. If you have a premium membership on dA, you can request crit, but I hear ya about being slightly uneasy over there.
*feels cozy in the friendly Arena atmosphere*

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
Fun work, watch how you are trying the lower neck into your jaw, on horses that is a very clean area that is not as thick.  But overall you have a great feel to em.

In regards to cirts, you can always ask here.  I would be happy to help out, I work with my daughter all the time in regards to getting her proportions right and the balance between style and realism.  Would not mind helping someone who might actually take the advice with out her teacher repeating exactly what I told her.  LOL  I always recommend finding some good deference books and looking for photos of the poses you want to work on.  Often if you know some kids in sports you can ask them if you can photo them in various poses and then have some ready made reference material.   Also just having a good proportion chart handy can be a huge help.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
Funny enough I've actually been avoiding this thread. I've stopped by and looked a few times this week but I've no criticism for you so I just kept walking away. Sorry! (I know you said that you were frustrated with people just being positive and saying it was great and I realized all I was going to be able to say was how amazingly wicked that undead pony is) SO I had nothing to post.

As far as crit are you looking for it on your horse or human art? I like alot of the ideas that have been mentioned already about asking on dA or here.

You may be able to find some critics on here though who can help you to improve whatever your wanting to. :3

good luck!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:10:07 AM »
Those are very good! I love the wings that you have on the horse!

divalei

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
Fun work, watch how you are trying the lower neck into your jaw, on horses that is a very clean area that is not as thick.  But overall you have a great feel to em.

Thank you and I try to keep that in mind. And what comes to taking photos, I'm planning to. Also, I might ask my sister to help me.

As far as crit are you looking for it on your horse or human art? I like alot of the ideas that have been mentioned already about asking on dA or here.

Well, for both I guess. But I should focus on drawing more humans than animals. I like that undead pony too.

I probably should make another thread for human art or something (a blog?). I like to keep things separated. So, this is for my horse art.

And for those I didn't quote, thank you.

Hippocampus is now coloured. I wanted it to be without lineart but couldn't make it work the way I wanted to... Which I find weird since I've done couple lineartless pictures.

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
I love how the background came out - it looks simple yet the gradient and the subtle highlights convey the underwater feeling perfectly. Great job!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
You're welcome to post NPA (non-pony art) here and ask for crit, as long as it's within the ratings of the site.  :)

Mature Content (no nudity)
As a member of the Arena, you are subject to our community content guidelines regarding what you post and what you link.  Arena members should not post any material which may offend, or that is unsuitable for teenagers.  This includes, but is not limited to, harsh language, sexual material including references, violent and/or gruesome material.  Please be advised that our members will use adult language occasionally in their posts, but the language should not exceed what can be said on network television.  Any use of material that is inappropriate for the Arena will be removed by moderators, and you may be subject to disciplinary action including warnings, suspensions, and banning for repeat offenders.

These content guidelines apply not only to the material you post, but also material that you link to.  Make sure that the link that you post falls within our content standards when it comes to language, violence, innuendo, nudity, and sexual content.  This applies to blogs, videos, art galleries, forums, and any site you link to.

We have some forums that go beyond the network television rating although we do not allow posting about any illegal acts that you partake in or have been involved in. This includes illegal drug use.

No R-Rated and above pictures: It is your responsibility to follow this rule. MLP Arena or anyone affiliated will not be held responsible. By posting here, you agree to these terms. No vagina slits, no penis, no butt crack and no nipples may be shown in picture, drawing or custom form. If we receive any complaints the Mod team will review each case and decide if it is appropriate.

Please be aware that you are solely responsible for the content that you post here on MLP Arena. Owners and Moderators of the Arena will not be held responsible. We will cooperate fully with any authority that requests for us to do so.

I am not really super comfortable with digital art either.  I have always been better with a pencil.  But practice makes perfect and it looks like you're doing really well to me.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
Wow! That second pegasus especially is beautiful! I love your style :) Cant wait to see what else you come up with.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 04:39:49 PM »

divalei

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »

This is what I've been working with. Some prehistoric animals.

I need to scan my horse drawings. I try to draw as much on both styles. I can't keep my style consistent. It's annoying. Some days I draw well and some other days I don't. Does stress and other things affect that much?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:10:01 AM by divalei »

divalei

Re: Some horses and other animals
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

Galaxy and Fizzy, yay. Their colours are from the toys. If only I had Galaxy, Fizzy needs her friend. It was my laptop's background for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal