collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wave 9 Blind Bag question: Prism Glider  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Wave 9 Blind Bag question: Prism Glider
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »
So I just picked up Sea Swirl and Prism Glider from wave 9 today and was quite surprised to see that Prism Glider is supposed to be a male (as per his card)?! Why haven't they made a male pegasus mold yet? They have them for unis and earth ponies already, why do the male pegs get shafted?

Anyway, just thought it was interesting because I had no idea. I'm probably just late to the party as always, but whatever. ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Wave 9 Blind Bag question: Prism Glider
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:13:51 AM »
I didn't even notice he was supposed to be a boy! And it is a bit odd there is no boy peg mold...

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:14:59 AM »
I assume because that would involve effort  :P It's a pity, as they have the Thunderlane mould and they could just slap a different mane on him but oh well :( I'm hoping we might get a proper one in future because I'd like to see a Flash Sentry toy of some kind...
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:20:04 AM »
Ah! I forgot about Thunderlane! I don't have him, did he come in a special set or something? Anyway, yeah! Why didn't they just use the Thunderlane mold? Tisk, tisk Hasbro.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
Ah! I forgot about Thunderlane! I don't have him, did he come in a special set or something? Anyway, yeah! Why didn't they just use the Thunderlane mold? Tisk, tisk Hasbro.
Yeah, he's gonna be in one of the triple packs with Rainbowfied Fluttershy and Dizzy Hooves/Muffins  :) Hasbro seem to like re-using those moulds (I think Muffin and Daring Do are the same mould but one has a hat) so I'm surprised they didn't just reuse his...
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.

diamondshy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »
There has been that purple pegasus in Thunderlane's mold floating around here, maybe Thunderlane was finalized after w9 already was?  Either way, I agree, more boy ponies!  Ideally I'd like molds that better match the background pony instead of Tunderlane/Shining/Bic Mac/Mane 6 recolors, but one step at a time, right?  Maybe one day, especially since there seem to be only a handful of background characters that get recolored anyway...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
Oh he is supposed to be a boy? Thats cool...but yes I agree a different mane and/or tail even if on the same pose would have been cool!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
The toy is clearly female, but the picture (and the character in the show) are clearly male, just like the pronoun/s on the card (at least in English). There's a minor movement to establish Prism as a canonically trans* pony, and I wish them luck.

(And as people have said, while the Thunderlane mold is unambiguously male, it's not out yet, and was quite plausibly not ready when W9 was finalized.)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:02 AM »
The toy is clearly female, but the picture (and the character in the show) are clearly male, just like the pronoun/s on the card (at least in English). There's a minor movement to establish Prism as a canonically trans* pony, and I wish them luck.

Interesting! Well, I can see several reasons he'd be a good spokespony for the LGBT community. But yeah, I can't see that ever happening "officially". ;) On my card it just says "glides across the sky!" in many languages, without any use of pronouns. So he's pretty ambiguous there as well.

(And as people have said, while the Thunderlane mold is unambiguously male, it's not out yet, and was quite plausibly not ready when W9 was finalized.)

Makes sense. I have seen that Thunderlane BB on ebay, guess it's just another of those Taobao things, unofficial releases then? Well at any rate, I hope they do make more male pegasi in a male mold. That would be awesome!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
According to the Tumblr part of MLP, we're considering him a canon transgender male pony. I'd really like to have him! : D

I don't know why they don't have male molds for all of the species though? You'd think that'd be a priority.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline CupidStrikes

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
According to the Tumblr part of MLP, we're considering him a canon transgender male pony. I'd really like to have him! : D

I don't know why they don't have male molds for all of the species though? You'd think that'd be a priority.

Whoa now, this IS Hasbro we're talking about...We didn't even have a unique mould for one of the main characters until this wave  :lol:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »

Whoa now, this IS Hasbro we're talking about...We didn't even have a unique mould for one of the main characters until this wave  :lol:

:like:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Cherry_Sunset

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
I don't have the toy so I had no idea that this pony was supposed to be a boy. Hmmm alright, this is good information for the ask blog I'm planning on! (I have the name PrismGlider reserved on Tumblr for said ask blog)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »

Now that you mention it, I do remember the card now and can visualise the picture :) Heck G1 and G2 were using traditionally "female" poses for male characters so its not like this concept is new to the line in some ways, I guess.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
For that matter... quick, which one's the boy?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal