collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is going after a pony plushie maker on DA  (Read 34481 times)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is going after a pony plushie maker on DA
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
It's sad that this artist got a slap on the wrist, but I understand Hasbro's stance, and she could have got off a lot worse. I'm going to keep my mouth shut on all the legal talk, as I am no expert there... But I have to say: When you're making hundreds, even thousands of dollars (per piece) off of a big company's characters and designs... Of course you're going to be told to stop. It sucks for the plushie maker- but it's not like Hasbro has swooped in to take away her fabric and sewing materials. She can still produce and sell under the radar. :/

Offline xkappax

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Kappacino Creations
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
Hiring her is definitely a good idea which I hope they do in the end (probably won't though) but Hasbro also does have the right to go after her like they did.

It's probably cheaper for them just to pretend to be a customer, buy one of her plushies, dissect it for the pattern, and send it to china so they can reproduce it for five cents a day. :(

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
Eh makes sense really. It's sad, and does suck, but it makes sense. It is their property.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
If I'm honest, I can understand where Hasbro are coming from on this occasion.

Normally, I'd side with the custom artist, but when you're making such a huge profit off a character that doesn't belong to you... Well, like others have said, it's only a matter of time. Her plushies are indeed amazing, but the characters still belong to Hasbro. It sucks but... That's the bottom line.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
The reason they left alone the people selling plushies at the Fair is that the majority were based on G1 characters, who they care very little about since they lost the trademarks.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
Well I guess it's time I said my two cents here lol

First and foremost, her plushies make me sick, they're that good.   LOL  That woman's got talent!

Secondly...Kudos to Hasbro for defending their copyright WITHOUT being total jerks about it.  So many companies are a-holes about this sort of thing.

Thirdly...I understand Hasbro's stance and agree with it.  I hope the plushie seller finds different ways to sell her amazing art that won't infringe on current copyright.  Maybe G1s or custom styles.  C: C: 

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

ZOMBIESohnoes

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
Even as an artist I side with Hasbro. If someone were making bank off of my work I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

She is not a small time plushie maker that's putting these on ebay once in a while for some extra spending money, she is making a living off of Hasbro's characters. She's doing what she can to get more exposure for her auctions (internet radio, other sites, DA). Normally this would be a smart business move but not when you have zero rights to any of the characters and you are making that much money from them. This is why she is being targeted and why I am on Hasbro's side in this case.

If Hasbro was going after someone that made 3 in the last year I'd have a different opinion. But they didn't, Hasbro only stepped in when someone took it too far.

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »
As someone pointed out in the thread dedicated to discussing her situation, she could simply move to OCs.
That's what plushie makers have been doing for ages until G4 came around, right?

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
Doing OCs would be a great alternative. Hope she goes for that route.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »

Secondly...Kudos to Hasbro for defending their copyright WITHOUT being total jerks about it.  So many companies are a-holes about this sort of thing.

THIS!!!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Clementine

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
Hiring her is definitely a good idea which I hope they do in the end (probably won't though) but Hasbro also does have the right to go after her like they did.

It's probably cheaper for them just to pretend to be a customer, buy one of her plushies, dissect it for the pattern, and send it to china so they can reproduce it for five cents a day. :(

I highly doubt a company like Hasbro would do something like that. Looking at it from a similar way though I can see why hasbo might not want "show accurate" plushes being sold by fans, if hasbro were to attempt to improve their own plushes and make them closer to resembling the show than they could be falsely accused of stealing a pattern from one of the plush makers/copying them and it could stir up a lot of bad publicity even if they did infact create their own pattern simply because both hasbro and the fan strived to create something  close to the look of the show. Of course chances are I'm looking in to this to much :P
Still, I have to say I side with hasbro on this. I would be seriously mad if someone took something I created and started making thousands of dollars of profit from it without so much as asking my permission. Sure hasbro is a large company but does that give them any less right to defend their own characters and creations?

Betelgeuse

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
If Hasbro really cares about people doing this why don't they step up their game and make their own show-accurate, multiple character plushies? instead of going after a few people they should be worrying about boosting their profits.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »
Like I said (and others too), maybe they areabout to release plushies...

RedheadedBeauty

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »
Her page is gone I guess da deleted it. How sad i wanted to check out her work to see what the fuss was about.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
Her page is gone I guess da deleted it. How sad i wanted to check out her work to see what the fuss was about.

If you click on her gallery her works are still there, I guess just the plush pictures were removed from being featured on her main page.

ETA: Apparently according to her dA page someone did indeed report her to Hasbro. I would take it with a grain of salt, as always with these dramatic issues, but that is what's being said there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal