collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who are these G1 ponies? (Backcard art)  (Read 1827 times)

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Re: Who are these G1 ponies? (Backcard art)
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
Spoiler
This set is lovely! I wished they had made them.

Nicole Holley made this customs. I like these more than the ones made with flutters.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm not a fan of using G1s as bases for customs, but I like the paintwork and antennae on these much better than the flutters!
Well if the ponies had serious problems then that would be one reason to use a G1.. G4 ponies would do these girls no justice with their bland poses, though G3 versions would fit them just find it's nice to see something that was supposed to be in the G1 lines actually be made with G1 ponies ^^;

Possibly, but I've never really seen a pony that wasn't so bad it couldn't have been restored; like, most of the customs I've seen, more work was done on them to customize than would have been needed just to restore. So even the ones that actually have lovely paintwork, I kind of cringe to see that there's that many less genuine G1s out there for people who collect them.  ^^; It's a controversial topic, though, and I know a lot of people don't share my point of view on it.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »
Spoiler
This set is lovely! I wished they had made them.

Nicole Holley made this customs. I like these more than the ones made with flutters.

I'm not a fan of using G1s as bases for customs, but I like the paintwork and antennae on these much better than the flutters!
Well if the ponies had serious problems then that would be one reason to use a G1.. G4 ponies would do these girls no justice with their bland poses, though G3 versions would fit them just find it's nice to see something that was supposed to be in the G1 lines actually be made with G1 ponies ^^;

Possibly, but I've never really seen a pony that wasn't so bad it couldn't have been restored; like, most of the customs I've seen, more work was done on them to customize than would have been needed just to restore. So even the ones that actually have lovely paintwork, I kind of cringe to see that there's that many less genuine G1s out there for people who collect them.  ^^; It's a controversial topic, though, and I know a lot of people don't share my point of view on it.
There is a lot of things in the customizing world that are considered 'controversial', sad but true. Though I have seen some pretty awful baits out there... from completely sliced through, to missing feet and ears, to a pony that had such bad rust stains that it needed to FBR anyway to do anything with her (that one I can absolutely say she couldn't be restored xD)

Back on topic though... I'm wondering if these ponies would have originally been opaque or translucent?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »
I imagine them as opaque with the marbling effect-- similar to the colourswirls, but thinner lines that stand out less because the colours are less contrasting. 

There are so many ways Hasbro could have gone though-- translucent with marbling in the plastic; translucent with painted swirls; or either translucent or opaque with marbling and shimmer added over the top.  There's so many elements on visually with them!

The customs on this thread are amazing.  I especially love Shelves of Whimsy's flutters.  And the customs in the Precious Pocket pony moulds are really cool!  I reckon there's a high chance Hasbro might have gone with those poses since they came out later in the G1 line,

You can see the marbling better in this picture.  The symbols are so detailed...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:50:28 PM by daffodil101 »

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 11:43:23 AM »
i have a bag with these on !!

do they have names or was it just the art ?
has there been any other ponies that never made it to production???? xaflame

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
I so want to make these ponies.

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 01:46:58 AM »
There're rumors that someone has the backcard stories and their names. I guess it was Clipper.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:19 AM »
There're rumors that someone has the backcard stories and their names. I guess it was Clipper.
This I would LOVE to see
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »
I don't think they're Sweetheart Sister ponies, they were drawn with longer legs and a million eyelashes. (I almost typed eyebrows . . . now that would be an interesting set!)

My guess would be either the Precious Pocket molds or "normal" adult molds.  I wish they'd still been drawing ponies in their actual poses at that point, then we'd know for sure!  (I was just looking through later year backcards and, man, they sure loved drawing ponies with their mouths open.)

I think they were intended to be "normal" adult molds. If you look at the Celestial art & the Glow & Show back card there are a lot of similarities in color schemes & lay-out. My theory is that Hasbro developed both sets at the same time, then decided to only put one set into production. Maybe the celestial set would have also been translucent with glow-in-the-dark features?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal