collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever After High Discussion Thread!  (Read 35541 times)

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
Re: Ever After High Discussion Thread!
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:26 AM »
Love the characters and the webisodes so far and I can't wait to see more...but am I the only one who's disappointed by the fact that most of the characters just seem to be boring ol' humans?  I was REALLY hoping to see fairies and unicorns and mermaids, etc...

This!
  me too  but  they are still cute.. and i did see alot of BG creatures  so fare ( troll under the bridge)  so hereis to hoping there might be some mermaids and fairies along the way. I mean cupid isn't human..

DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
I'm just sad Apple White is blonde.  Like, the only fairytale princess to have black hair in the history of the world.  And they made her blonde. 

nyanpotato

« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2013, 05:24:54 AM »
I'm just sad Apple White is blonde.  Like, the only fairytale princess to have black hair in the history of the world.  And they made her blonde.
IKR,They could have atleast made her a red-head to go with the apple theme but really,Blonde???

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:55 AM »
Upon seeing the actual dolls my excitement after watching the little animations sure died down.. :C
Maybe I'll have to see them in person but right now.. I don't like them. I cannot put my finger on it yet, but somehow those do nothing for me.
I guess I'll follow the story for a while and may get a Maddie, Cherise & The Sheep-Girl, but not going to collect these.. too 'normal'.
Like some I was hoping for Fairies, Unicorns, etc... well, maybe later on.

Otherwise: Totally a Rebel! LOL. Sorry to say, but all the Royal Characters just scream 'dumb bimbo-chick' to me - But hopefully they'll add a little more depth to them as the story continues.

Okiedokieloki

« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »
Really, really love the artwork... the dolls... not so much yet. My guess is that they're prototypes, but if they all turn out to have the exact same really round baby face I'm gonna be 'meh' about them until I get the chance to see them in person.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2013, 06:01:57 AM »
My only nitpick, Daughter of the Mad Hatter. She's pretty, she's an awesome design and all that good stuff. She may even be one of my favorite girls, but *Hides from fakies being thrown at her* Blargh she reminds me too much of Pinkie pie. >,>; I mean, I know she's the daughter of the Mad Hatter so it's kinda expected, but her randomness for some reason just reminds me way too much of her. :(  and I'll leave it at that without going too much into off-topic details. :P

I compared her to Pinkie myself, but I have to defend her here.
G4 Pinkie Pie herself is inspired by the Mad Hatter. That tea party she was throwing in that episode she went nuts? That was totally a throw-back to Alice in Wonderland.
We're just so used to this trope nowadays that we often forget that Alice in Wonderland basically invented the scenario.
And G4 really pushed Pinkie's odd behaviour way to far when they gave her typical cartoon powers (hiding behind a way too thin tree, popping out of super small places) and make her break the 4th wall to amuse the viewers. After all she is a cartoon horse and she's the element of laughter, so she better make us laugh even though it doesn't make sense in-universe ;)

Pinkie's wild hair doesn't help. The Mad Hatter has always been portrayed with wild hair throughout many, many incarnations because this was always the go-to stereotype used for wild, random or "insane" people. Not being concerned about your looks, shaking your head a lot, etc.

That means Maddie only reminds us so much of Pinkie Pie because they have the same character inspiration.
If anything, Pinkie is a copy of Maddie (despite being there first) because Maddie is supposed to be the direct relative of the Mad Hatter and follow in his footsteps by acting just like him while Pinkie is just a Wonderland unrelated character inspired by the trope.

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »
Wow. This may be the unpopular opinion but there is nothing wrong with basing a line on European fairy tales. I'm sure they'll add more characters later but there is no "shame" in using European models for the stories and characters. Not everything has to be politically correct all the time.

... even historically, it's not like Europe has ever just been homogeneous  :huh: Also, considering the hair colors, I don't think they're worried about accuracy to the original tales with regards to physical appearance.  :P

I'm not too worried about it - MH's first wave of characters just had Cleo and Clawdeen, after all. (Although I really would like to see more 'inhuman' colors, too...)

Offline Alatariel

• Cookie Queen
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:57 AM »
Upon seeing the actual dolls my excitement after watching the little animations sure died down.. :C
Maybe I'll have to see them in person but right now.. I don't like them. I cannot put my finger on it yet, but somehow those do nothing for me.
I guess I'll follow the story for a while and may get a Maddie, Cherise & The Sheep-Girl, but not going to collect these.. too 'normal'.
Like some I was hoping for Fairies, Unicorns, etc... well, maybe later on.

Otherwise: Totally a Rebel! LOL. Sorry to say, but all the Royal Characters just scream 'dumb bimbo-chick' to me - But hopefully they'll add a little more depth to them as the story continues.

I agree. I had high hopes, but after seeing the dolls all I can muster is a "meh." I do love the outfits, and how detailed they are. (Briar's dress looks exactly like a rosebud. So cute!) I also really like Maddie, and I think she's one doll I will definitely get. Other than that, they look like the same old dolls that have always been around. I was a bit put off by the shallowness as well. ("Shoes! Parties! My prince!") At least the MH girls had a variety of interests. Or maybe I'm just biased since it's the only doll line I've gotten into. :P

I am looking forward to seeing more, and the webisodes are very well done.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sirithfin and cannibalcow for my avvie and siggy!

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »
Ohhhhhhh man.

Just when I thought I was almost done with dolls.

As someone who is obsessed with princessy stuff and loves Disney and fairy tales and big poofy hair and dresses I can honestly say....

this line is going to destroy me!!!!

First of all, I loved the animation in the shorts. Everything was really pleasant-looking and the pacing was way better than the monster high webisodes where the characters practically talk over each other. Loved all the girls. Apple is a little ridiculous but I can tell that they are setting the story up for her

I think it was really funny and unique how there were two narrators arguing with each other.

And I love the prince that looks like Skrillex with the side-hair.

Im already in love with this line. Love the site. Love the packaging. Mattel knows what people like. This is a total cash cow for them.

However I would also like to add to the list of people that would like to see more POC in the line.

And we're still a long way away from having different body types in a doll line, but a girl can dream....

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »
Gonna echo what other people have said thus far,

webisodes=love

dolls=ehhh....

I think Raven looks alright, but I really hope these are prototypes. Cause right now she's just not doing it for me at all. I feel like they used really cheap fabric too, they just don't look like MH quality.

cleverLC

« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2013, 07:41:45 AM »
Wow. This may be the unpopular opinion but there is nothing wrong with basing a line on European fairy tales. I'm sure they'll add more characters later but there is no "shame" in using European models for the stories and characters. Not everything has to be politically correct all the time.

... even historically, it's not like Europe has ever just been homogeneous  :huh: Also, considering the hair colors, I don't think they're worried about accuracy to the original tales with regards to physical appearance.  :P

I'm not too worried about it - MH's first wave of characters just had Cleo and Clawdeen, after all. (Although I really would like to see more 'inhuman' colors, too...)

OMG, can you imagine the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio?  I would buy that on the spot!

Fred11706

« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:22 AM »
Gonna echo what other people have said thus far,

webisodes=love

dolls=ehhh....

I think Raven looks alright, but I really hope these are prototypes. Cause right now she's just not doing it for me at all. I feel like they used really cheap fabric too, they just don't look like MH quality.

I couldn't agree more! The webisodes were cool but the dolls are meh. I too hope they are just prototypes. They remind me of dollar store knock off princess dolls. I am happy however, that they are the same size of MH dolls so we can use their outfits. Will I buy them? Yes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a touch I pinkie pie in Madeline hatter(I know pinkie has been referred to as a mad hatter in mlpfim)

Kobold

« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »
I'm a little disapointed. :| The animation and general style looks very pretty but the designs range from ok to a bit uninspired... nothing is terribly bad, but considering how well MH used each monster's theme in the colours, prints and shapes of the outfits, I expected a little better than a hime-loli extravaganza.

Also, so many blondes and so many curls. (At least Cerise Hood is a bit of fresh air (fresh hair?) in that department.)

Still, the setting has potential and they will surely release outfits that I like better at some point, and hopefully some ethic characters for diversity.

I'm going to save my judgment of the dolls for latter - they don't look pretty at all to me, but those 2 pics were taken at a bad angle and lighting.  (Great job on the packaging though, making them look like books from the side is a great idea.)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 31, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
Did Dexter Charming remind anyone else of Jackson?

Yes, that was my immediate reaction. Maybe it's just the same voice actor?

Dexter has a bit more of a manlier voice than Jackson's. Cindy Robinson does Jackson, but Evan Smith does Daring and Dexter. He's the voice of Gil and Deuce.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
OMG, can you imagine the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio?  I would buy that on the spot!

:lovey: !!!! Now I really hope they make her...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal