collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fashion style Ditzy Doo/ :muffin: Pony  (Read 138215 times)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
Re: Fashion style Ditzy Doo/ :muffin: Pony
« Reply #945 on: June 01, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
Yes, they were in the G3 mold because that's what was used, and upgrading to a current G4 mold would have been understandable

GAH now you have me dreaming of G4 art ponies.... *drool* that would be epic.

Get our your paintbrush Kalavista...you gotta make 500 stat!

Silly people. The talk of bum rushing and Diamond Dogs was spoken equally loosely.

Pitchforks, however, would be srs bsnss.

You forgot torches, they are always with pitchforks ya know. I think they must be a married couple. I wonder what kinda babies torches and pitchforks make?

Torforkies - flaming pitchforks made out of awesomeness. DUH :P

in all seriousness though, I'm happy :muffin: Pony/Bubblecup is the fair pony. An art pony would be nice too, but I'm not a big fair pony person anyway so I guess whether I like it or not doesn't really matter. xD I want her, but not a whole ton like I know some people do. :3
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline MintamenaPie

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sailorangei.livejournal.com/
« Reply #946 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
There are a lot of things to keep track of and I'm unsure that Summer commented personally yet. However, with Summer as our collector advocate and my friends who are running BronyCon, I'm pretty sure Hasbro does know there is some sort of distinction. Summer did mention to me at the MD Meet that Hasbro wants the Fair (which is fan run, mind) to remain a sort of collectors area and not really have special FiM guests of honor like we do at BronyCon (bronycon.org plug plug).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Art by SpottedSlug and MustBeJewel.

Previously known as Steves_Minty.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 01, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
I know Hasbro said they're going to keep the collector ponies in the G3 mold, but Hasbro reps, ironically, are not exactly the best source of information and times change. Honestly, if they wanted to pay tribute to long-term collectors, the collector ponies would be in the G1 mold, not G3.

I don't understand why people are freaking out about it not being a G3 pony. G3 has pretty much been over for two years.

Are people freaking out?

I admit I haven't read every single comment so maybe I missed the freaking out post or the posts where some are taking our the torches to burn Ditsy and/or calling the uglies pony ever.

And yes, it is a personal preference to like G3's over G4. Just like it is a personal preference to post that the Fair ponies from the last two years are ugly and hideous.
Ummm I said that loosely, but saying that Hasbro's going to hear about this at the fair and talking about bum-rushing their headquarters and sicing the Diamond Dogs on them sounds a bit hostile to me. Lots of people wanted :muffin: Pony and Hasbro responded. It would be kinda crappy for them to get backlash for it.

... first of all, telling Hasbro we're not pleased = automatically hostile? Um, okay, so if people are unhappy, they're expected to keep quiet...? I have no doubt that despite their frustration, older-gen pony folk (such as the kind we find here at the Arena! :hug: ) are polite, above all. We may take plastic ponies very, very seriously, but generally we treat any issues with a lot of respect. No need to go biting the hand that feeds us, after all.

Second of all, you thought I was serious about the glitterbombing...? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well, all surveys are voluntary.

This report is interesting, but it apparently only surveyed bronies. To use it to compare the number of brony/FiM fans than any other group of MLP fan isn't really meaningful because who knows how many MLP fans overall there are?

Also, yes, Hasbro's going to do what makes them money, but alienating a portion of their consumers usually isn't a good idea in the long run. Personally, I doubt Hasbro has any idea "brony" doesn't encompass all MLP fans. How would they know that?

I'm just going to add "THIS!" to your awesome post, because you said everything I wanted to! ;) You can't call it a true, scientific, "fact based" survey if your methods are not properly scientific or even properly run. If you are getting a full survey of all pony-fans, you have to survey ALL of us - not just the Bronies. (Sadly, I can't seem to open the link? But I've seen several of the "scientific" surveys being tossed around, and none of them fit that label. Apologies if this isn't the ridiculous "I HAVE A PHD SO IT'S SCIENTIFIC/LEGIT!" one. XD )

It's surveys like these that make me laugh. "Most of the fandom are Bronies! Bronies outnumber old-school fans! Look at how many Bronies responded!... because we oh-so-coincidentally only published the survey questions on Brony-centric sites! IT'S SCIENTIFIC, I HAVE A PHD!!!!11one" It's just ridiculous, any college professor would laugh them out of the room if they tried to present that as "evidence." :rolleyes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #948 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:23 PM »
Personally, I doubt Hasbro has any idea "brony" doesn't encompass all MLP fans. How would they know that?
See I really agree, and I don't think they had any idea the collectors wouldn't be happy about this.

I disagree.  They designed a MLP Fair logo with only G1 ponies on it, which they certainly would know not to do with a brony convention.

I don't really mind the G3 to G4 mold switch--I would rather have G3 molds, but I can understand them wanting to promote their latest line.  And I have nothing against Ditzy Doo.   But she makes for a really . . . boring . . . collector pony.  Because that's what the MLP Fair is geared towards--toy collectors.  Maybe they collect G1, maybe G2, maybe G3 or G4, but it's mostly about the toys, with glorious dealer tables set up all over the place, plus customs to see or buy.  And I KNOW Hasbro knows this because they have gone all out in the past, giving us awesome and crazy exclusive ponies!   (And also because they, you know, have attended the Fair many times before. ;) )

Compare these ponies to Ditzy's basic, plain design.  She would be fine as a retail pony.  She is fine as the SDCC pony, because a lot of bronies a) are more into the TV show than toys and b) will be attending SDCC, so that all works out.  But she is boring choice for a Fair pony IMO.

And what makes it worse is that she isn't even an exclusive for the Fair--Hasbro just shrugged and said, "Yeah, nothing special for you!"   I'm sorry, but I think that is really sad.    Before this year, they always made separate SDCC and Fair ponies, even though the demand for SDCC ponies was obviously less than it will be this year.   

So now they are raking in more money than ever and outputting half as much product.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:15:55 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 01, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Personally, I doubt Hasbro has any idea "brony" doesn't encompass all MLP fans. How would they know that?
See I really agree, and I don't think they had any idea the collectors wouldn't be happy about this.

I disagree.  They designed a MLP Fair logo with only G1 ponies on it, which they certainly would know not to do with a brony convention.

I don't really mind the G3 to G4 mold switch--I would rather have G3 molds, but I can understand them wanting to promote their latest line.  And I have nothing against Ditzy Doo.   But she makes for a really . . . boring . . . collector pony.  Because that's what the MLP Fair is geared towards--toy collectors.  Maybe they collect G1, maybe G2, maybe G3 or G4, but it's about toys and awesome toy design!  And I KNOW Hasbro knows this because they have gone all out in the past, giving us awesome and crazy exclusive ponies!

Compare these ponies to Ditzy's basic, plain design.  She would be fine as a retail pony.  She is fine as the SDCC pony, because a lot of bronies a) are more into the TV show than toys and b) will be attending SDCC, so that all works out.  But she is boring choice for a Fair pony.

And what makes it worse is that she isn't even an exclusive for the Fair--Hasbro just shrugged and said, "Yeah, nothing special for you!"   I'm sorry, but I think that is really sad.    Before this year, they always made separate SDCC and Fair ponies, even though the demand for SDCC ponies was obviously less than it will be this year.   

So now they are raking in more money than ever and outputting half as much product.
I mean I think they understand that the fair people will be open to G1, since they've been collecting them and attended the fair long before G4 even existed, and obviously the brony fandom is G4-centric which they've been extremely vocal about so Hasbro's knowledge of their :muffin: Pony love isn't surprising either. What I'm saying is that as a whole, I think that the collecting community has been pretty receptive to the G4 toys regardless of the new fans, and I don't think we've been outwardly negative towards it in a vocal way. So why would Hasbro have any reason to think we wouldn't enjoy :muffin: Pony as well when we as a community haven't said otherwise until now? Just because they know we like G1 ponies and G3 too? She's obviously dissimilar to the past ponies, but calling her "boring" is a matter of opinion. I don't find her boring at all, and personally I think the past fair ponies are a bit overdone so I'm glad to see it toned down.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 01, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »

I don't really mind the G3 to G4 mold switch--I would rather have G3 molds, but I can understand them wanting to promote their latest line.  And I have nothing against Ditzy Doo.   But she makes for a really . . . boring . . . collector pony.  Because that's what the MLP Fair is geared towards--toy collectors.  Maybe they collect G1, maybe G2, maybe G3 or G4, but it's about toys and awesome toy design!  And I KNOW Hasbro knows this because they have gone all out in the past, giving us awesome and crazy exclusive ponies!

Compare these ponies to Ditzy's basic, plain design.  She would be fine as a retail pony.  She is fine as the SDCC pony, because a lot of bronies a) are more into the TV show than toys and b) will be attending SDCC, so that all works out.  But she is boring choice for a Fair pony.

I mean I think they understand that the fair people will be open to G1, since they've been collecting them and attended the fair long before G4 even existed, and obviously the brony fandom is G4-centric which they've been extremely vocal about so Hasbro's knowledge of their :muffin: Pony love isn't surprising either. What I'm saying is that as a whole, I think that the collecting community has been pretty receptive to the G4 toys regardless of the new fans, and I don't think we've been outwardly negative towards it in a vocal way. So why would Hasbro have any reason to think we wouldn't enjoy :muffin: Pony as well when we as a community haven't said otherwise until now? Just because they know we like G1 ponies and G3 too? She's obviously dissimilar to the past ponies, but calling her "boring" is a matter of opinion. I don't find her boring at all, and personally I think the past fair ponies are a bit overdone so I'm glad to see it toned down.

Well, I'm not sure how they could think that any collectors would be okay with half as many ponies to collect, yeah? I mean, looking at it from a strictly non-fandom-biased standpoint, if people collect things, they're going to want MORE things to collect, not fewer. (And looking at her objectively, Bubblecup does not fit into the art-pony mold. She is simple (two colors, dual-colored symbol), and she just doesn't make sense, looking at what came before. Her interest for the fans is wrapped up in her fanon personality, not her color scheme. And for people who don't watch the show, or keep up with the oft-offensive fanon that's sprung up around her, it's a slap in the face to have their fandom compromised for another one's fanon. Think of it this way: who attends the MLP Fair? Older-gen collectors, not Bronies. (At least, it's a *majority* of old-gen collectors, at least.) Why would they want a Brony-centric exclusive at a non-Brony event?

My issue here is, the non-Brony fandom has been thriving for, what, almost ten years now? Even longer pre-internet and pre-Arena. It seems a little bizarre that Hasbro suddenly forgets we exist, after we've had a long-standing relationship with them, to pander to a fandom that just sprung up a year or two ago - and may have vanished just as quickly two years from now. They may be damaging their reputation with *this* fandom, for the sake of a potentially short-lived one.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #951 on: June 01, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
Well, yes, calling her boring is a matter of opinion.  So is calling her interesting.

":muffin: Pony" is very much a brony-based phenomenon.  I do not think the brony fanbase is at all incorrect when they feel that they were the ones who had such a huge effect that they rocketed her to fame and led Studio B to give her uneven eyes in episodes (other than the first episode, where her eyes were just a little in-joke by an animator.)

Not that more "traditional" fans, for lack of a better term, can't enjoy her;  I like her as a "Where's Waldo" type thing in the episodes.  But she is very much associated with bronies.

I don't dislike the pony on principal.  But I am testy that Hasbro gave the convention that mainly is geared towards their older fans (in terms of "years in the fandom", not "age") . . . something that was created by and is the unofficial "symbol" of newer fans.

And a toy that is not even unique to the MLP Fair?  As I said before, if they tried this with Botcon and SDCC, heads would roll.

As far as the design goes, she is just too plain for a MLP Fair pony IMO, as I said.  But beyond that . . . having her as the MLP Fair pony diminishes the connection between MLP collectors and Hasbro, which we have worked hard to build up.  Before, Hasbro took the time to create something special and unique for the Fair.   Some of their designs I've liked, some I didn't like, but you could always see the EFFORT they put into it, and I appreciated that.   With Ditzy . . . Hasbro didn't not even create her design.  Studio B did, as a random background pony.   So now we not only have an "exclusive" pony that is not really exclusive, but it's also one that Hasbro literally put no thought into designing, as it was designed by a different company.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Pinecone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #952 on: June 01, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
I love that peacock pony! :frolic:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #953 on: June 01, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
But beyond that . . . having her as the MLP Fair pony diminishes the connection between MLP collectors and Hasbro, which we have worked hard to build up.  Before, Hasbro took the time to create something special and unique for the Fair.

Perfectly put. That's the thought I've been trying to express but you worded it perfectly.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 01, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
I think what Hasbro must have though is this:

"Bronies" = G4 and FIM only
"Pony Collectors" = G1 thru G4 (including FIM)

The thing is it is not that simple. Even among people who are just collectors there are many different tastes. Even before FIM came along not all collectors even liked every generation out there. Some came in during G2 or G3 and don't really care much for the early ponies. Some people who have been collecting since G1 don't like some of the newer generations. Since so many people both "Bronies" and collectors alike are fans of the show, Hasbro probably figured it would make everyone happy if they made :muffin: Pony the exclusive for both.

I personally would not minded if even the Fair pony was a character from the show but not the same one. They could have done a full sized Gilda or Granny Smith or even Queen Chrysalis.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 02, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »

Ain't this the truth. In the end, we are all victims of Corporate America. What makes the $$$ right at this moment is what we will get, and not one iota more.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »

Speaking of the devil of capitalism...

1% of bronies is hogging 99% of con-exclusive ponies.
Occupy Bronycon!

lol

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 02, 2012, 02:58:28 AM »
But beyond that . . . having her as the MLP Fair pony diminishes the connection between MLP collectors and Hasbro, which we have worked hard to build up.  Before, Hasbro took the time to create something special and unique for the Fair.

Perfectly put. That's the thought I've been trying to express but you worded it perfectly.

Though people do seem to be forgetting that Hasbro HAVE done this to us before. Remember the year (2007?) when the fair was given a bunch of leftover Love Wishes as their 'exclusive pony' and the staff had to do something amazing to make them unique.

Granted it's not exactly the same but Hasbro have treated collectors unfairly a few times in the past.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #958 on: June 02, 2012, 03:13:29 AM »

Though people do seem to be forgetting that Hasbro HAVE done this to us before. Remember the year (2007?) when the fair was given a bunch of leftover Love Wishes as their 'exclusive pony' and the staff had to do something amazing to make them unique.

Granted it's not exactly the same but Hasbro have treated collectors unfairly a few times in the past.

That was pre-exclusive days though.  At that point it was nice to get anything, I think.  :P  Pony fair Australia can't even get Hasbro to acknowledge them.

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 02, 2012, 03:16:13 AM »

That was pre-exclusive days though.  At that point it was nice to get anything, I think.  :P  Pony fair Australia can't even get Hasbro to acknowledge them.

I believe that the year before that was when the fair got Bay Breeze though.

But yeah, it's very sad that Hasbro completely ignore large groups as well :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal