collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How I feel about the term

I don't find it innaproprate at all. I use the term.
I find it unsettling to name a flaw in a toy after something that is medically serious. I don't use the term.
I don't personally like it, but I use it because other collectors understand the term.

Author Topic: "Cancer Marks"  (Read 998 times)

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
Re: "Cancer Marks"
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
I do not really have an issue with the term but do not use it. Especially when it comes to describing ponies on eBay and such, I know others ARE bothered by the word being used in such a way. I simply refer to marks as being brown age spots/marks that are not removable.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

TWILIGHTCOOKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
I find the term "cancer" is offensive or inappropriate to refer to in a toy, don't ask me why.  I use the term " age spots".

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
The big question is why the word was chosen? :|

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »

I haven't a clue. It's been around for years though. I remember being totally taken aback and puzzled when I first spotted it used, thought it was a typo.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »

I haven't a clue. It's been around for years though. I remember being totally taken aback and puzzled when I first spotted it used, thought it was a typo.

Oh so is a mistery? it was made in early forums or elsewere??

diamondshy

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Hmm, I guess I'm like a lot of others so far: it doesn't bother me, but I don't really use the term that often.

To me, words are just words, but this particular term seems to bring up bad emotions for some people and tends to be misleading and panic-causing to new collectors because it's so undescriptive.  If I were talking about it, I'd go to "plastic breakdown" or "age spots" first, mostly because I like to be descriptive and not leave too much room for misunderstanding.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54:16 PM »
I call it both cancer and age spots, basically whatever my brain spews out first. I wasn't at all surprised by the term when I first encountered it, cancer is very often used to describe destructive or undesirable non-medical conditions so I figured it was pretty fitting. I find latching onto certain connotations more upsetting than the words themselves (I've graduated art college, where everything has the potential to be phallic) but I respect that certain things can be triggering to others.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone call them Liver Spots instead of Age Spots?
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »
I call them "age spots" because I do find it inappropriate and unnecessary to use a serious medical term. We don't call yellowed ponies "jaundiced" or say faded ponies are "anaemic" do we?  ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:36 AM »
I like the term, I find it very fitting. But I try not to cause too much drama, so I often use "age spots" as well.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:05 AM »
I am the third/ bottom option. I don't like the term, but I use it as others understand it as a term.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »
I try not to be rude for the sake of it, but I'm also not a PC person. In fact, I roll my eyes at people who are easily offended or those who feel the need to tiptoe around everyone because someone might freak out if the wrong word is said. Anyway, "Cancer" doesn't offend me when describing a pony, but it's still not a word I use. "Age spots" or "discoloration" seems more appropriate to me because that's what it is.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 04:33:26 AM »
I don't find it personally offensive, but I can understand that others may see it that way. It's a scary word, but I've seen it so much in a pony context, it has made the word have two definitions in my head.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 05:13:52 AM »
I have used cancer, and I do believe it was termed cancer as it does spread in a pony. I brought a gingerbread he had one spot 2 weeks later he had 3...
I will more often refer it to age spot if I'm selling a pony with close up photos.

izabel89

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 05:33:48 AM »
I do not like using it, sounds a little offensive.

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »

We first started using the word cancer to describe those permanent and suddenly sprouting brown spots (I don't know who first used it) because there was no known cure for the spots and often the spots spread, much like cancer in living creatures.

I can certainly see why some would be bothered by the term and it even bothers me, but I still use the term. I've lost family and friends (a month ago a dear friend passed and recently another friend was diagnosed). When I say "pony cancer spots" most collectors will know what I mean and when I read "pony cancer spots" in a sale pony's description, I know what the seller means. Of course, familiarity with a term isn't an excuse to keep using it.

I see age spots used to describe cancer often now and I think that if collectors wanted a change, it could be done with diligence. The problem with using age spots to replace the term cancer, is that age spots is an umbrella term for several ponies issues, like regrind.

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal