collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies you regret not buying when you had the chance . . .  (Read 912 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Ponies you regret not buying when you had the chance . . .
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
Buyer's remorse is bad, but so is non-buyer's remorse. :) Have you ever had the chance to get a pony but passed it up for one reason or another? Or given away a pony you wish you hadn't?

When I was still a kid I saw a paradise baby, Baby Palm Tree, I think, at a flea market, but didn't buy her because I was too embarrassed. (I was an older kid at that point.) I wish I had, though.

Oh -- and I donated a G4 Snowcatcher to the toy drive. I don't feel *bad* about it, exactly, since hopefully a little girl got it and loves it (maybe even a MLP fan), but I do wish I'd checked on its value and donated a more common pony who a little girl would still love as much. I found it at Family Dollar and just figured that if it was still in stores it wasn't rare . . . :facepalm:

And on a sillier note, I was thinking recently that if I had just ordered all the ponies from the Day at the Beach catalogue -- preferably five of each -- I could be a rich girl now. I remember looking in that catalogue as a kid. Who could have known that Rapunzel, Gametime and Sugarcake, and the mommy and baby set would be so rare now? Yes . . . if only I had a time machine. :)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: Ponies you regret not buying when you had the chance . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
hmm interesting idea.
when i was younger i didn't know ponies were in stores. thought they came from my Grandparents.
the first pony i ever bought in stores was g4 rarity for a custom.
but there are a few hard to find g4's i wish i would have gotten for my niece.
but she didn't like them at the time.
so sad.

wait is snowcatcher a htf pony?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:00:29 PM by rosierjay »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
hmm interesting idea.
when i was younger i didn't know ponies were in stores. thought they came from my Grandparents.
the first pony i ever bought in stores was g4 rarity for a custom.
but there are a few hard to find g4's i wish i would have gotten for my niece.
but she didn't like them at the time.
so sad.

wait is snowcatcher a htf pony?

I believe she's semi-HTF due to being one of the very-few non-Mane Six ponies, and she's become a bit of a collector favorite as a result. :)

For my own, oooh ... I sometimes read up on the 'nostalgia' threads on the Nirvana forum, where people mention getting crazy-cheap prices for Greek ponies because people thought they were fake, and I wish I had jumped on THAT train! :lmao: I'm sure I've seen lots of eBay sales that I wish I had bid up higher, as well!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »
:blush: Hmm, I just realized that there's a thread very similar to this one ("Have you ever made that big mistake . . . ") Mods can combine them, I think, if they want?

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:08 PM »
FS Applejack ... I remember seeing her there when they first came out and thinking they were ugly. Ugly or not, I should have bought her.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:29:12 AM »
The other thread is about selling...this thread is about buying :) So I think they both work fine.

There are plenty of ebay auctions I regret not bidding a little higher on or not staying up late to bid on or sniping on :P ; auctions for items or ponies or merch or paperwork which I am still years later searching for. Some of those missed opportunities I will admit still to this day annoy me.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:02:17 AM »
Unicorn FS Twilight Sparkle  :blush: especially as her Princess FS doesn't come with her crown (A+ job, merchandisers)

I wish I had grabbed Cherry Pie when she was in stores, but I was waiting for Lyra and Trixie...I regretted not getting Sunny Rays and Cherry Berry at first, too, as that wave disappeared after barely a week on shelves, but I later got them MIB for retail from Mareplay UK :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:03:52 AM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:17:14 AM »
There was a brief moment in time when the Greek babies suddenly hit the market.  It only lasted a couple of months one summer, but it was a tidal wave of Greek babies.  Several sellers had them, MIB.  A huge cache of old store stock had been discovered and they were everywhere on ebay.   My boyfriend (now husband) said he'd get me one as a present.  Babies that had USA counterparts(Blossom, Cotton Candy, etc) were selling for about $50 MIB.  Babies who were unique to Greece(Baby Minty) were going for about $100 MIB.  I didn't want my boyfriend to spend too much, and I was most interested in those funky accessories, so I went for Baby Cotton Candy instead of MIB BABY MINTY FOR ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS.  It took me over 10 years to *finally* get a Baby Minty.  No, she's not MIB, and she wasn't $100 either.  At least she's here!  To the day I die, I'm going to kick  myself for not getting that pony for cheap when I had the chance.

I also passed up a BIN auction of the full set of Baby Brothers in mint condition, with all accessories(including those horrific to find mallets) for $50 because I don't like boy ponies.  I still don't, but their accessories have really grown on me.

I also passed up MIB G2 Springdy and Springly because I thought they were boring, and I wasn't trying to complete the entire line at that point.  And they had been cycling over and over again on ebay for months, so I thought I'd be able to pick them up later if I wanted them.  Nope.  I need 4 G2s to complete the entire collection.  2 were ones I thought I had, but I guess didn't.  The other two are Springdy and Springly, and they're just nowhere to be found.  I only collect them mint with all accessories, so finding them complete has been a very long wait.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:39:50 AM »
I regret how I "fight" new generations when they come out.  Even as a kid, between G1 and G2, I didn't like what they did with the G2 style and lost interest out in ponies.  I found G3s about six months in to them being released and started collecting, fell off the wagon with G3.5s and REALLY fought letting myself get into G4s.  As in I was a couple YEARS behind in collecting these little buggers.  What kills me is I *knew* I'd start collecting them eventually, so WHY on Earth did I not start buying them from the start instead of needing to backtrack and pay four times what I could have from the very start?!  Very frustrating.  You'd think I'd learn by now ;)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:16 AM »
I bought one of the closed-mouth Breast Cancer Awareness ponies and had the chance to get the open-mouthed one as well and I passed her up and wish I hadn't.

Also, I wish I had bought more of the MOC Greeks that were on ebay circa 2004 while they were going to relatively cheap. I did get two though :)

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
The only pony item I can remember really kicking myself for not getting is a couple of sets of MOC bright sight/glowing magic petites on eBay maybe two years back. I love my petites, and I've not come across those sets MOC since then, so yeah, defenitely regret that one.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 06:39:43 AM »
I've only been collecting since G4, so that narrows it down quite a bit. I didn't get Lulu Luck when she was in stores because she didn't grab me at the time, and I regretted it later.

Thankfully I got her for a decent price eventually. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Nacht

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
The only pony I remember letting slip out of my hands was G3 Desert Rose. This was back when she was still selling in stores. My mom had offered to buy her for me but I felt guilty because of money. I'll be getting her in a couple days though! My boyfriend bought her for me off of ebay. :)

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
I bought one of the closed-mouth Breast Cancer Awareness ponies and had the chance to get the open-mouthed one as well and I passed her up and wish I hadn't.

Also, I wish I had bought more of the MOC Greeks that were on ebay circa 2004 while they were going to relatively cheap. I did get two though :)

Ditto on both! I also had the chance years ago to buy a complete Rapunzel for $300. *cries*

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
I was watching an auction on ebay from Germany for  G2 Bride , she was missing an eye ,so I decided to just wait to the end to bid on her and well ,the internet decided to go down right at the time I was ready to bid :(  went to the iphone to get the bid in and Iphone was dead :(
I guess it was not meant for me  LOL 
I complained to the internet company though  because that was the drop that filled the glass , I was at that point fed up , I escalated my case to a Manager there ,and since I had been on their case about my service disruptions for almost 2 months ,I was ready to change providers. so they promised me they will get the service back up and running the next day and a credit for the 2 months of crappy service :)  that was awesome, so that credit became "G2 Bride Fund " lol
I was then late to get my inquiry about one here ,so lost another chance.
Nhal039  here alerted me of one in France later on, It was in a lot with fakies, I won the auction, I paid for the ponies, the seller refunded me the money the next day ,with no real explanation , never answered my messages anymore.
so another failed attempt.
the Bride Saga might be ending soon ....crossing my fingers on a pending deal :)
otherwise it will be  a 4th failed attempt.,hoping this one comes home.
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal