collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cosplay wig help!  (Read 802 times)

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Cosplay wig help!
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
Calling all cosplayers! I'm constructing my very first cosplay and I need to wear a longish wig. My hair is thick and long, about past my shoulder blades, and I'm having trouble fitting it all under the wig without the wig looking lumpy. I can't frenchbraid or I'd try that. Are there any other tricks I could try?
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cosplay wig help!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »
WIG CAPS.

You definitely need to wear one to keep all your hair inside.  You can buy them cheap on Ebay (maybe $1-$2) or look at beauty supply stores near you.

I also recommend sewing a "toupee clip" or two into the front of the wig.  It will clip into your own hair and keep the wig from sliding around.  I bought a pack of three, called "Snap Clips" at Sally's Beauty Supply for around $1.50.

You may want to look on the forums on cosplay.com for more specific wig advice, too. :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »
Not a clue but good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
Well, I'm not a cosplayer, but my sister and I wear wigs on a regular basis. Evening_Moonstone is right, you definitely do need a wig cap, and combs in the wig are also a great idea. If you get a nylon cap, I don't recommend putting tiny comb clips on the wig, though, because they won't go through and will just loose the cap. If you pick a fishnet cap instead of a nylon cap, though, they will and I do recommend them (One in the front, one in the back, and one on either side just behind your ears) I have a wig like this and I love it. It's my every-day wig, and I've never had it slip once. If you have long hair, the best way to keep the wig on really would be a nylon cap, and the comb clips (I can take a picture of my comb-clipped wig if your confused as to what I'm referring to).

My younger sister has thick long hair that goes to the middle of her back and I've had no trouble getting her hair under even a pixie-style wig (Okay, well maybe a little trouble with that one, but that's because the wig was cheap). I would recommend pulling your hair back into two low ponytails on either side of the back of your head, then getting someone to help you twist them both up into a bun (Or you can try and do this yourself, but it takes some time to get it), then put a wig cap over them, then the wig (Wig should be applied from back to front). The buns will puff up the back of the wig, but if you place them correctly it won't look unusual, especially on a long haired wig. If you find their is a bit of an awkward gap between them or they aren't 'smooth' enough to your skull, you could tuck a scrap of fabric (Handkerchief works good) under the wig to sort of smooth the shape out a bit.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:30:12 PM by Nonnavlis »

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
Thanks for the great tips! I'll look at Sally's Beauty Supply for a wig cap & clips. I never thought about using a wig cap :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
I don't know if Sally's is any different in the US verses where I am here in Canada, but here they do not sell caps for going under the wigs, only hairnets (I can't imagine you can use a hairnet as a wig cap).

You should check, if their is one close to you, but you'll probably have to get one off the internet (Don't worry, they are very cheap). Unless you happen to be lucky enough to have a wigshop in your town.

I do think they carry the clips, though. I know they carry the kind one uses to make hair extensions, so it seems a logical second that they'd have them.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
Im going to pipe up and suggest bobbipins as an alternate if you have really long hair.

Just have patience because it takes awhile to get all that hair down and secure, then a little while to fit on the wig cap (I have a nylon one) and finally the wig.  The longer the wig, the longer it will take to secture it in place.  I think it took...20 minutes? To get my hair in place and secure a wig that went down to my knees (though it was 2 clips of tails, and I have long hair as it is)

Whatever does happen, im sure it will be fun either way :)

ETA:  Please, you *need* a wigcap or your wig will slip.  I leant that the hard way the first time I wore one and went to a con..got stuck trying to adjust it every 5 minutes xD  It will also help keep your hair in place^^
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:24:05 AM by melodys_angel »

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
If you can't find a wig cap, make one with a knee-high stocking!  This always worked in a pinch for me.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal