collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's talk boy ponies  (Read 4159 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Let's talk boy ponies
« on: October 23, 2023, 12:56:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

Let's talk boy ponies.

I think they are great,but there are less of them than I would have liked to be. Definitely more g1 boy ponies.  I like the g1 brothers the best, especially Tex.  I wish g4 had more boy ponies as main characters, rather than just spike. Nothing wrong with a female lead/girls/girl ponies. Just my opinion.

I'm excited to see g5 Hitch trailblazer. I have yet to fully get into g5, but so far I haven't due to me disliking part of the main characters.

What are your thoughts on boy ponies/characters? Likes? Dislikes?

I would love to hear your thoughts :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:34:42 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk boy ponies
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »
I would love more male ponies, especially unicorns and pegasus. I’ve already made two pegasus boy customs, and I’m working on my first unicorn male custom right now.  Definitely need to bolster the G1 pony ranks with more boys!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 03:11:26 PM »
The Mountain Boys are my favorite. I like the Big Brothers too and the little brothers. I had Racer as a kid.

I think it's neat that G2 has some boys.

Big Mac is my favorite from G4 and I loved his princess transformation.

Hitch is cool I just wish they gave him real hair in his toys.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 04:23:18 PM »
Definitely need more boy ponies. The only G1 male I have is Daddy Sweet Celebrations or Mint as I named him. I do like that G4 at least started to have a lot more male characters in the show if not the toys so much and I like that there's still more male ponies in G5 also.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 04:37:45 AM »
We do need more boys.
Gen 1 was the best on the toy side for boys while gen 4 had a variety of background boy characters in the show.

So far gen 5 is falling short on their boys (on the toy side of things, I haven't watch the show). Hitch has been getting gipped on the number of toys for him compared to the rest of the cast (at least from what I can see)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 04:53:59 AM »
We were so sorely lacking in Boys that Boys are the main HQG1C blanks I get!!! I use common Clone Pose G3s to make G3 Boys, wish there had been more than THREE brushable G4 Boys, love being able to make G2 Boys, & want the G5 Boys to have brushable manes & be as easy to find as the girls!!!

My faves are the Mountain Boys. I love their bright colours & their weather themes. I also love that the Euro versions of the Loving Families had an adult Boy & a Baby Boy each, as well as the two girls.

I look forward to HQG1C making more Boys too...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 09:55:56 AM »
I LOVE boy ponies, I wish there were more!! G4 had a good amount in the blind bags at least, I just wish the brushable line had shown the same amount of variety. I still can't believe there weren't any boys in G3! One of the biggest missed opportunies in that gen IMO.

I do hope that G5 will have more boy characters. Having Hitch be a main character is a wonderful step forward, he's already gotten more brushable-size toys than any boys in G4, good start, now let's give him some proper hair instead of this silly notion that only girls can have brushable hair! *rolls eyes*

Incidentally, how many boys are in the G5 toyline so far? These are the ones I know of:

Hitch
Argyle (blind bag, Busy Book)
Deputy Sprout ("brushable", Busy Book)
Alphabittle (Busy Book)

Have I missed any? It's nice that there's already four, I think it took G4 much longer to get that many boys into their line :P

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 10:09:05 AM »
I don’t think I own any boy ponies… :wonder: Well aside from a couple blind bag g4 plastic ones. I used to keep them atop my computer monitor at work, but since changing jobs, who knows where those went. :lookround:
But I would like to own a couple g1 boys. It’s just never been a priority.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline loveliestponies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
  • Im So Meta, Even This Acronym
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 10:17:58 AM »
I don't own any boy ponies, but i think the mountain boys are wonderful. I dream of getting fireball someday...
I HEART ALL PONIES

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 05:01:55 PM »
I only had baby Lucky and 3 Mountain Boys as a kid. Sunburst, Fireball and Thundercloud. I never saw the big brothers but I enjoyed reading about them - and the Mountain Boys - in the comics. I find Somnambula is fun but the names are awkward for me as I grew up with UK ones.

I think they at first decided the big brothers would be too american for the UK market so made the MB set instead - they came out here first. Then when they did well, maybe, they decided to sell the brothers here anyway? I don't really know. It's all a bit mysterious, but the first set here were known as Adventure Boys (ie, doing something exotic and wild and adventurous) rather than 'big brothers' (ie things that you might find in your own family).
The second set were just Big Brothers, though, on more or less the same cards. So by that point they'd given up (lol).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 07:52:26 PM »
I love them. I have the boys and Dads from the G1 Loving Families, plus Lucky, Lightning, Fireball and Ice Crystal. I think Daddy Sweet Celebrations is gorgeous. I'd like to own Clipper as well but I'm not actively looking for him at the moment.  In G4 I have Big Mac plush and brushable, Prince Shining Armour and Sandbar brushables. I wish Sandbar was the same size as the others but he's an odd 3/4 size. Better than not at all though, he's lovely as a figure. IDK why the pegasus and unicorns were all female.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 07:56:40 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 01:13:16 AM »
I like G2 boys the best. Especially Prince Firefly. He's so pretty.

also: extremely unpopular opinion below ↓↓↓ (OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK) :freak:
Spoiler
Am I the only one who thinks boy ponies are kind of overrated?  :lookround:

Like, I don't dislike them, but I don't get the hype around them. Especially when a lot of them look so... average. At least to me.

And if Hasbro is going to continue giving g5 boy ponies molded manes only, I'd rather they not make boy ponies at all.

Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline WingedDragon

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 09:18:18 PM »
I really love how G2 boys look exactly like the girls. The most beautiful irl horse we have usually seen are males anyway, because gelding has better temperament.

I also like how G4 boys are just well-round characters with similar jobs and hobby to the girls, who just appear to be boy, not caricature of sport fans or playing bully role. G1 Big Brother design is not that bad, but they are completely isolated from the girls.

That being said, I love G1 dads to bits. Strong big ponies that have the same theme of gentle things like his family, absolutely lovely. Also, Tux'n'Tail, what a distinguished gentleman.

Spoiler

Like, I don't dislike them, but I don't get the hype around them. Especially when a lot of them look so... average. At least to me.

And if Hasbro is going to continue giving g5 boy ponies molded manes only, I'd rather they not make boy ponies at all.

I can see that. I am really worry about the toy direction in general, not just about boys. Almost everyone complained about the lack of brushable. But I also worry about pony getting smaller every redesign and the hard plastic they use now.

Offline loveliestponies

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
  • Im So Meta, Even This Acronym
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 12:59:57 AM »
I really love how G2 boys look exactly like the girls. The most beautiful irl horse we have usually seen are males anyway, because gelding has better temperament.

I also like how G4 boys are just well-round characters with similar jobs and hobby to the girls, who just appear to be boy, not caricature of sport fans or playing bully role. G1 Big Brother design is not that bad, but they are completely isolated from the girls.

That being said, I love G1 dads to bits. Strong big ponies that have the same theme of gentle things like his family, absolutely lovely. Also, Tux'n'Tail, what a distinguished gentleman.

Spoiler

I can see that. I am really worry about the toy direction in general, not just about boys. Almost everyone complained about the lack of brushable. But I also worry about pony getting smaller every redesign and the hard plastic they use now.
literally! i feel like the ponies are getting smaller and less cute every year these days! maybe its just nostalgia lol  :nerdy:
I HEART ALL PONIES

Offline WingedDragon

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 01:33:34 AM »

Spoiler

literally! i feel like the ponies are getting smaller and less cute every year these days! maybe its just nostalgia lol  :nerdy:

Unfortunately, it is absolutely getting smaller with less hair in mane/tail every redesign. Cute is subjective, but I miss the day Ponies actually have eyelids and forehead, not just eyes printed on their smooth head.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal