collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: About the texture of original MLP hair...  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
About the texture of original MLP hair...
« on: October 05, 2023, 01:35:45 PM »
I've been back at restoring some ponies, and one thing I've noticed is that original pony hair seems... springier and more lightweight than new nylon hair. The original manes curl up naturally without losing its shape but my restored ponies don't seem to have that.

Is this a known thing or am I just crazy? Do I just need to make sure I REALLY boil-perm the slight curl into the manes?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: About the texture of original MLP hair...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 03:12:15 PM »
I don't know much about hair, but I wouldn't say you're crazy. Perhaps it's being made differently nowadays?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 04:00:09 PM »
I don't remember who posted about it before or if I have the details right, but G1 hair was made in an Italian factory that burned to the ground. So what is now sold as "original" G1 hair is close but not exact. Again, I don't remember exactly, so do with that info what you will.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 05:32:07 PM »
You know what? Silver Dawn runs Shimmerlocks.  She may be able to shed some insight.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 10:15:12 AM »
New nylon hair needs to be washed and conditioned to get rid of the manufacturing oils. Boil perming shouldn't take long at all. Just remember to let it dry completely before you take the curls out. I usually let it sit for at least 24 hours.

Original pony hair was curled in a certain way and I don't know if anyone knows the exact process. It has held up for 40 years. Even after washing it, the curl comes back. I think it might be more the way it was styled rather than the nylon itself?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Sawkinator

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 11:28:51 PM »
I don't remember who posted about it before or if I have the details right, but G1 hair was made in an Italian factory that burned to the ground. So what is now sold as "original" G1 hair is close but not exact. Again, I don't remember exactly, so do with that info what you will.

Really? So all the doll hair suppliers are lying? :P
In all seriousness, I had no idea! So there could be a slight difference - maybe the original hair was slightly thinner? Of course the hair we can get these days is great, but it'd be interesting to know.  ^.^

New nylon hair needs to be washed and conditioned to get rid of the manufacturing oils. Boil perming shouldn't take long at all. Just remember to let it dry completely before you take the curls out. I usually let it sit for at least 24 hours.

Original pony hair was curled in a certain way and I don't know if anyone knows the exact process. It has held up for 40 years. Even after washing it, the curl comes back. I think it might be more the way it was styled rather than the nylon itself?

I totally forgot to wash and condition the hair on the pony I've been working on! Thank you for reminding me before I actually finished her hair.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they did something to the nylon to help it keep its shape. Boil perming is pretty crude compared to the all the complex stuff a toy factory does.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 07:58:08 AM »

In all seriousness, I had no idea! So there could be a slight difference - maybe the original hair was slightly thinner? Of course the hair we can get these days is great, but it'd be interesting to know.  ^.^

I actually think original hair may be slightly thicker...?

I've certainly noticed differences in texture between different colours from the same supplier (I was quite inactive for several years so I mostly just have experience with Dollyhair). For example, Espresso is one of my favourite natural colours but it's somehow much finer than most other colours of nylon, it tangles much more easily and the individual hairs seem thinner. One of their whites was also like this, I can't remember which one. Maybe White Witch? In contrast, some of the metallic colours like Sunlight seem to be thicker/stiffer than the non-metallic colours.

Of course, styling probably also plays a role! I'd love to know how they got that perfect curl around the neck, and how they cut and styled the forelocks. Forelocks are something I can never get right. I wonder if an eyebrow cutter would help? (Sorry, going slightly off topic here.)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 08:10:42 AM »
I've noticed this too.  However, I've noticed that Rainbow High dolls (currently on the market) have nylon hair with bounce and body too.  With OMG dolls it's a mixed bag, I've got some where the hair is limp and tangles if you blink at it and some that are just like G1 MLP hair.

The first set of G5 Fashion Styling ponies also have amazing bounce in their manes. (Not their tails, which are made of different material.) Not sure if they're nylon or something else, but it looks / feels great!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 01:50:28 PM »
I think the difference is that straight and pre-curled nylon both exist. A doll rooted with curly nylon will have hair with more natural curl, shape, and bounce than a doll that has been rooted with straight nylon hair.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 08:48:59 PM »

No, and that's not what I said. When the current suppliers say that they're ordering from Hasbro's supplier, they're speaking about the company that currently supplies Hasbro, not the company that supplied them in the 1980s and 1990s.

Offline Sawkinator

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 12:19:41 AM »

No, and that's not what I said. When the current suppliers say that they're ordering from Hasbro's supplier, they're speaking about the company that currently supplies Hasbro, not the company that supplied them in the 1980s and 1990s.

Oh, I was just joking (hence the  :P smiley), sorry if that wasn't clear!

Glad to see other people noticing the same thing - so I'm NOT crazy for thinking there's a difference (and even between different colors of hair sold right now - really interesting!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal