collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Popular Traits Do You Dislike That Others Like?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
What Popular Traits Do You Dislike That Others Like?
« on: July 13, 2023, 03:36:28 AM »
In terms of ponies, that is. We all have different tastes and of course sometimes, we may not like what the majority of the community likes. So, is there anything that you dislike on ponies that the majority of the community seems to like?

For me, it's A. any of the G1 Sparkle Ponies or Sparkle Pony adjacent ponies (i.e. Divine Shines, G2 Queen Sun Sparkle, etc.) I just don't like how they look and the plasticiser leakage problem certainly does not help their case.

B. Tinsel in manes. I think that it just looks tacky and gives the mane an unpleasant texture. Not to mention, brushing it becomes harder, lest some tinsel is lost.

Perhaps at a later point, I will make a reverse of this thread, it's just that this idea ended up popping into my head first.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:17:58 AM by TheClassCalico »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: What Popular Traits Do You Dislike That Others Like?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 03:58:09 AM »
I agree on the tinsel. Especially the princess ponies in G1. Just a forelock of tinsel... no, thanks.

Baby ponies maybe? G2 are the exception because they are adorable, but most baby ponies don't do anything for me. I have some from my childhood collection, but other than Dutch Cat there aren't any I'd like to have.

Seaponies too. I get the idea and the song is an ear worm for sure, but as ponies they're too plain and even with their shells, I'm not impressed. The floats are a little better, there's one that's an alligator and I love it, but overall Seaponies just aren't my thing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TheClassCalico

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 10:20:11 AM »
Actually, I suppose that I don't particularly care about G2 G1, typo! baby ponies myself.  I wouldn't say that I dislike them necessarily, but I will 9 times out of 10 take an adult over a baby, even if they had the exact same design besides their mould.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 10:38:26 AM by TheClassCalico »

Offline TarkanDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just your average 80's dragon boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 10:42:29 AM »
I have a trait I dislike the most. [Spoilered for your own risk just for safety reasons.]

Spoiler
Mine would be IDW.

Honestly I really don't know why IDW just simply ruins the characters and the story. The problematic part is that most fans consider IDW to be CANON even when it really doesn't.

Spike is one of the characters that IDW actually ruined. I couldn't felt more sick of how they did Spike. I mean when I look back in G1 comics, they're pretty standard yet kept in their character traits and really came up with better stories. But what IDW just does is this: leT's do A RaNdoM ArC That EvEryoNe Go HyPe By HaViNg DiSCorD tO DeAl WiTh A cRazY Ex tHat wAs NevEr In tHe ShOw AnD MeSs WiTh tHe ChaRaCters.

That's not how supposed comics work IDW. Even nowadays You're slacking off that would later on your compony would shamble from your corruption.

I mean the arcs that they do weren't good to me. They're just like, what the heck were they thinking? Are they really desperate for attention with their audience?

I'm sorry if this is a massive vent. Because I know that IDW was not my personal flavor taste and I wouldn't even try to bother looking at the artstyle they gave for MLP:FIM.

But that's not all as when they did the MLP:Generations thing, Did they even bother to know the original G1 characters? Or even what G1 supposed to be.

It could've been an actual past or the year 1980.
But NO! IDW has to make it into some sort of dimension. HOW DOES THIS MAKES SENSE?! I know Equestria girls were a thing and I happen to dislike it. But is IDW really trying to lean on Equestria girls than the actual ponies? I really don't want to like have myself to look at the comics because I couldn't handle the wrongness of IDW trying to ruin the franchise like that.

Especially G5 that had Discord when he never appears in the show.
And they also starting to ruin Sparky as well. but I'm a bit thankful that G1 Spike didn't even came to the IDW Generations comics because I don't want my idol to be ruined by it.

*phew*

That was a long rant and yet my opinion of a popular trait that I actually dislike and yet others like.

I just wish Archie comics would still kept their business since Archie was the comics that I actually enjoy with Sonic ones.
And I just wish IDW would just look back at their stuff that they did with MLP.

I'm sorry if this actually something that no one agrees but this is my opinion. And also offends any IDW fans about this.

If anyone would ask me to take this post down. Or want me to remove the rant I have said. Let me know. And I apologie for this message. I just want to get this off of my chest. Any feedback is appreciated although I'm really uncomfortable talking about IDW and it's popular corrupting traits.

also TheClassCalico if you read this I don't know if this is alright even though that what I said was actually a bit "toxic" rant but I honestly really felt unconfortable talking about what I dislike.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:44:07 AM by TarkanDragon »

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 11:59:40 AM »
Yeah, I'm not entirely sold on the hair tinsel either. I get why hasbro does it (little girls love sparkly hair, right? Who cares if its hard to brush on our toys specially advertised for their brushable manes and tails?) but it just doesn't work for me. Especially the ponies who have more tinsel than hair. If I wanted to brush tinsel, I'd bust out the christmas decor and comb that instead!  :silly:

A trait/gimmick I dislike are ponies with glitter designs all over their bodies. If the glitter is in the plastic or glued onto one specific area (like the forehead or cutie mark), its fine. But I don't like the texture when its glued onto all of the pony, just feels weird to pick up a pony and feel the grit. I also have sweaty hands, and I remember as a kid touching toys like that then pulling away and my hands being covered in it. I feel like I have to be extra careful around ponies like that because I don't want to damage them by touching the glitter. I love milky way, she's one of my favorites! But I feel like I have to pick her up by the legs/horn/other non-glitter parts because I don't want to touch her body or her cheeks.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 06:52:07 PM »
I'm not a fan of sweetheart sister pose ponies.  For me they don't fit in with the rest of the ponies.  Them and the teeny babies. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 07:25:02 PM »
This is just my personal opinion, but . . . ponies look better with shorter manes.  Like the length of G1 Glory or Blossom's mane.  I think I'd like even the not-so-horsey gens more, like G4, if they had more modest hair + forelocks. (Just to be really pedantic, I do not consider bangs (like G3.5 Cheerilee) to be the same as a forelock.  Has to be a thin bit of hair going straight down the nose.)

I had Brush 'n Grow Bouquet as a kid and her mane made her not-fun for hairplay, ironically. It got in the way.  It was too thick for my clumsy little-kid hands to style. And when I tried to brush and comb her, the bristles / teeth broke off.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 07:27:58 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Queen Sophie

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 07:45:07 PM »
The Petite Ponies, they are too simple for me, found out they only had one cutie mark on their side, and they just don’t seem that interesting

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 11:15:41 AM »
For me it's Blind Bags
Sure, it's nice to have little miniature versions of Ponies as toys for the Ponies or some dolls to play with, but to me they've never been the main part of a collection. The main part is always the normal-sized brushable Ponies, with their flowing hair you can groom for hours, who can fit into Pony clothes you can buy or make, who can interact & blend with other Ponies, who have playsets & accessories to share with other Ponies... I could go on but you get it.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 01:50:03 PM »
Blind bags. So many nice designs relegated to some overpriced bitty thing that'll get lost in like, 5 minutes.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 02:34:37 PM »
Umm... Curly hair.  It looks pretty but so, so hard to keep from getting frizzy.

Edit:

I also love it on real people and animals. I have curls myself.  It's plastic pony hair that gets stretched out and permanently bent that annoys me.  Those ponies, you really can't touch their hair.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 02:39:12 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline TheClassCalico

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2023, 10:37:48 AM »
This is just my personal opinion, but . . . ponies look better with shorter manes.  Like the length of G1 Glory or Blossom's mane.  I think I'd like even the not-so-horsey gens more, like G4, if they had more modest hair + forelocks. (Just to be really pedantic, I do not consider bangs (like G3.5 Cheerilee) to be the same as a forelock.  Has to be a thin bit of hair going straight down the nose.)

I had Brush 'n Grow Bouquet as a kid and her mane made her not-fun for hairplay, ironically. It got in the way.  It was too thick for my clumsy little-kid hands to style. And when I tried to brush and comb her, the bristles / teeth broke off.

I agree that short manes usually look better and are certainly easier to manage.
I have a trait I dislike the most. [Spoilered for your own risk just for safety reasons.]

Spoiler
Mine would be IDW.

Honestly I really don't know why IDW just simply ruins the characters and the story. The problematic part is that most fans consider IDW to be CANON even when it really doesn't.

Spike is one of the characters that IDW actually ruined. I couldn't felt more sick of how they did Spike. I mean when I look back in G1 comics, they're pretty standard yet kept in their character traits and really came up with better stories. But what IDW just does is this: leT's do A RaNdoM ArC That EvEryoNe Go HyPe By HaViNg DiSCorD tO DeAl WiTh A cRazY Ex tHat wAs NevEr In tHe ShOw AnD MeSs WiTh tHe ChaRaCters.

That's not how supposed comics work IDW. Even nowadays You're slacking off that would later on your compony would shamble from your corruption.

I mean the arcs that they do weren't good to me. They're just like, what the heck were they thinking? Are they really desperate for attention with their audience?

I'm sorry if this is a massive vent. Because I know that IDW was not my personal flavor taste and I wouldn't even try to bother looking at the artstyle they gave for MLP:FIM.

But that's not all as when they did the MLP:Generations thing, Did they even bother to know the original G1 characters? Or even what G1 supposed to be.

But NO! IDW has to make it into some sort of dimension. HOW DOES THIS MAKES SENSE?! I know Equestria girls were a thing and I happen to dislike it. But is IDW really trying to lean on Equestria girls than the actual ponies? I really don't want to like have myself to look at the comics because I couldn't handle the wrongness of IDW trying to ruin the franchise like that.

And they also starting to ruin Sparky as well. but I'm a bit thankful that G1 Spike didn't even came to the IDW Generations comics because I don't want my idol to be ruined by it.

*phew*

That was a long rant and yet my opinion of a popular trait that I actually dislike and yet others like.

I just wish Archie comics would still kept their business since Archie was the comics that I actually enjoy with Sonic ones.

I'm sorry if this actually something that no one agrees but this is my opinion. And also offends any IDW fans about this.

If anyone would ask me to take this post down. Or want me to remove the rant I have said. Let me know. And I apologie for this message. I just want to get this off of my chest. Any feedback is appreciated although I'm really uncomfortable talking about IDW and it's popular corrupting traits.

also TheClassCalico if you read this I don't know if this is alright even though that what I said was actually a bit "toxic" rant but I honestly really felt unconfortable talking about what I dislike.

No worries! For future reference, this thread was intended to be about the toylines rather than pieces of media surrounding the franchise, though. It's my bad for not clarifying that. Personally, I disagree, I thought that the comics did an amazing job but that isn't to say that I always liked them or that I thought everything was handled well.

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 02:37:07 PM »
i'm not sure if it's a popular trait but i don't like flocking on ponies all that much. i prefer the brighter colors. it's also so hard to find ponies with nice flocking. they are very old at this point though so it's not surprising.

i kind of like the tinsel assuming it's not too crinkled. :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline TarkanDragon

• Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just your average 80's dragon boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 03:01:45 PM »

I agree that short manes usually look better and are certainly easier to manage.

Spoiler
Mine would be IDW.

*phew*

No worries! For future reference, this thread was intended to be about the toylines rather than pieces of media surrounding the franchise, though. It's my bad for not clarifying that. Personally, I disagree, I thought that the comics did an amazing job but that isn't to say that I always liked them or that I thought everything was handled well.

Well it's your opinion and I understand as well.

Although I would say not that all everyone was into IDW. Most of them loved it and Most of them hate it. In fact I have met a friend of two who had the same opinions as mine. I wouldn't tell who exactly but... My opinion still stands of my taste of IDW. Maybe yours is a bit different. To me I don't think it was handled very well.
Even when I didn't expect your opinion to be towards with the like side of IDW. But I'm not gonna complain about that and let you do you without force. (and I hope you don't complain about it either and then make me try to read IDW, because, like I said: not my cup of tea or my taste of comics)

But in all honesty; Sometimes it's blind to know who actually likes IDW and who isn't. And I happen to be in the side of the dislike part.

Hopefully after the point I happen to make does respond your disagree as I understand that you may happen to like IDW while I don't but I'm not gonna start a fire over that.

Anyways, as for the toy line part since you now clarified. There's nothing else that made me dislike the traits other than the MLP G4 movie stuff. It really feels like well... *bad* flashbacks with the G4 movie.

But yeah that's the only thing I dislike that the movie just got it's toy treatment and it still make me unsure about it.

Hopefully this answers the question as well.

I've made my part and hopefully you understand as well. Sorry if I had to like respond in a way you'd never expected and you also clearified that this is about toys an yeah I understand.

Thank you and take care.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 06:17:01 PM »
"Chibifying" everything. Just stop already. It looks awful on animal toys.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal