collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Wigwam... *sigh* (updated pics on page 2!)  (Read 1892 times)

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
My Wigwam... *sigh* (updated pics on page 2!)
« on: July 03, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »
So I'm continuing the process of cleaning up my childhood ponies.  My one and only Big Brother pony has been in the "putting off" section of the pile for two reasons... I suspect he has mold, and his hair has been cut.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm pretty sure that dark stuff on his leg is mold? It doesn't look like a surface stain and seems to be coming from the inside.><  Also, I'm not sure when his hair got cut.. as a general rule my sisters and I weren't prone to hair cutting, but it's been 20+ years so who the heck knows.

Last weekend I tried to get his head off, but no dice. I put him in boiling water but was afraid to leave him in too long... it didn't seem to have much effect on the glue. His neck is stuck TIGHT. ><

So. My questions.  Any better ways to decapitate a pony? Should I try the hot water again and be more persistent?  Also, if he was your pony, would you consider re-hairing him or leaving him as-is?  I have no intention of selling him, I'm keeping all the childhood ponies, for better or worse, but I would like him to at least be clean before I put him out with all the display-worthy ladies. ^^*

EDIT: I have at least washed/conditioned/combed his hair and given him a once-over scrubbing, his big leg mark is still there but he does look freshened up. I put the photos on page 2.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:47:12 PM by buttonso »

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: My Wigwam... *sigh*
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
Ah he is beautiful!  :)  Or handsome...

Big Brother neckseams are the worst!  Try soaking some dental floss in acetone and saw away at the neck line groove.  Also maybe pop him into your dishwasher's steam setting and check regularly.  You can also put him in a hot car for a few hours, that almost softens up ANYTHING! 

The spot on his leg is likely an age spot/cancer if it's not pindot mold.  There's not much you can do, unfortunately - maybe he needs a set of chaps! :-p

Almost all Wigwams have thin hair - I've never seen one with luscious locks.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:18:25 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Hot cars are definitely easy to come by this time of year, maybe I'll take him on some errands with me today and let him wait in the car!  :lol:

He has always been a favorite so I don''t want him to languish in the To Do pile much longer... I just reallly want to see his innards and see what's going on in there  :P

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Almost certainly not mould - vinyl plastic isn't edible to organics, nor does it hold onto moisture well enough on the surface to make for a hospitable environment for growing stuff.  Looks like an old surface stain that has bled out, from marker or paint possibly.  Sunfading is likely the best bet. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
I think he's one of the nicer WW's I've seen! After you get his head off (my suggestions are the same as everyone ellse's) scub him inside and out with a whitening toothpaste and toothbrush. I've found that stuff gets rid of mildew and rust REALLY quickly (paste...not gel) There are some great tutorials for treating pindot and sunfading at the My Little Pony Preservation Project website. It's my go-to for everything pony! As for his hair...well, that's up to you!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
He doesn't look too bad to me for a childhood pony who has endured years of love xD. I think he's just taken the battle scars of living with a kid, but those flaws make childhood ponies more precious (at least I think so, at least he doesn't have hoof splits! Two of my childhood mountain boy ponies have had glue surgery on their hooves for that particularly nasty condition.)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »
Well if the prevailing theory is that it's not mold, that does make me feel better! The idea of mold bugs me a lot more than age spots do, for some reason ^^*  So if it is jut a stain.. maybe some elbow grease and a cleaning inside and out will help. Or if nothing else, it will freshen him up... and really I think once I wash/condition his hair that will make me feel better too.

And then someday I will have to get some more Big Bros to hang out with him, since he's my only boy!  :biggrin:

Post Merge: July 03, 2015, 04:40:29 PM

He doesn't look too bad to me for a childhood pony who has endured years of love xD. I think he's just taken the battle scars of living with a kid, but those flaws make childhood ponies more precious (at least I think so, at least he doesn't have hoof splits! Two of my childhood mountain boy ponies have had glue surgery on their hooves for that particularly nasty condition.)

Oh, agh, hoof splits? That doesn't sound fun :(

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »
Nope, not fun at all. My SUnburst and Thundercloud are officially lame ;) My mother's theory was that it was going from cold air to hot air suddenly when I took them to school as a kid (I'd have been 5 or 6 probably) to play with my friends, but I'm not sure if that's true. I was quite good with my ponies, and didn't abuse them, but I had one incident with a pony whose earring was smashed in my schoolbag and I know it was foul play because the earring was missing and not in the bag. Someone took it...so it isn't impossible someone did something to my ponies (or accidentally trod on my bag) while I was in class or whatever. Either way, if it was cold to hot plastic damage, you'd expect it to happen to other ponies. I had Fireball too, as a kid, and he is fine. It's just Sunburst and Thundercloud and I have never seen another MB with the same kind of symptoms (even though we have a considerable amount of cold here.)

So I take them as the scars of childhood :-/ Sunburst was the pony I had when my sister was born, so I'd never upgrade him anyway.

By contrast, your Wigwam has done pretty good. As for his hair, maybe he just wanted to go for a proper 1980s mullet?

(I am also now really curious as to whether my Wigwam has thin hair xD)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
LOL, maybe! It does make him look kinda tough-guy.  :lol:  I did a Google Image search for Wigwam and a lot of them do look kind of thin haired... though not all seem as thin as mine. But a wash/condition treatment will certainly improve his hair situation regardless of how thin it is I'm sure...

(We were not super rough on our ponies for the most part... though our one and only Princess pony's bush-wooly companion got left in the garage and was smooshed flat as a pancake by the minivan!  :lol: I probably should try to replace him someday...)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
LOL, maybe! It does make him look kinda tough-guy.  :lol:  I did a Google Image search for Wigwam and a lot of them do look kind of thin haired... though not all seem as thin as mine. But a wash/condition treatment will certainly improve his hair situation regardless of how thin it is I'm sure...

One solution might be his headdress, if you still have it or can get another? Thanks to this post my Wigwam is now chilling with me by the TV (lol) and his headdress is quite big, so it would cover probably both the cut part of the mane and the thin hairline quite nicely.

(We were not super rough on our ponies for the most part... though our one and only Princess pony's bush-wooly companion got left in the garage and was smooshed flat as a pancake by the minivan!  :lol: I probably should try to replace him someday...)
Ouch! My friend's dragon got eaten by a lawnmower and I thought that was pretty horrific, but flattened? I'm gonna have nightmares about that now xD
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
I don't have his headdress anymore (apparently we could not hang onto accessories to save ourselves) but I'll get around to replacing them someday, I hope!  ^.^

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
Lovely big brother! I have Chief with a forelock trim...(he was my brother's pony..hehe and the only boy in my herd.)  :) That doesn't look like mold to me either.. I wonder if the reason he has the thin hair is because of the headdress accessory..? hmm! Anyway, if I were you, I would just give him a good external bath with warm water and a magic eraser and leave his hair alone. The internal bath and rehair would be good for peace of mind / if you wanted to do that (take his head off). It's weird how when cleaning ponies you discover stuff on them that you never saw before. I would be freaking out too..so don't feel like you're the only one! I am also in the middle of cleaning my childhood collection.. it's a stressful stress-free time..lol.  :lol: :satisfied: ;) Most of mine got a bath in the mid 2000s, never touched again until here recently. I'm sure the ones I lost would have ended up in the worst shape because I took them everywhere with me, which is why they are lost to begin with...:P

Offline buttonso

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
Lovely big brother! I have Chief with a forelock trim...(he was my brother's pony..hehe and the only boy in my herd.)  :) That doesn't look like mold to me either.. I wonder if the reason he has the thin hair is because of the headdress accessory..? hmm! Anyway, if I were you, I would just give him a good external bath with warm water and a magic eraser and leave his hair alone. The internal bath and rehair would be good for peace of mind / if you wanted to do that (take his head off). It's weird how when cleaning ponies you discover stuff on them that you never saw before. I would be freaking out too..so don't feel like you're the only one! I am also in the middle of cleaning my childhood collection.. it's a stressful stress-free time..lol.  :lol: :satisfied: ;) Most of mine got a bath in the mid 2000s, never touched again until here recently. I'm sure the ones I lost would have ended up in the worst shape because I took them everywhere with me, which is why they are lost to begin with...:P

To be perfectly honest, any excuse to NOT take his head off is fine by me, just the idea of him being filled with icky stuff gave me the heebie jeebies... but a stain, I can make peace with.... and I actually haven't tried Magic Eraser on him yet, so.. we will see! So maybe I'll give him a scrub tomorrow along with a couple other ponies I have picked out of the To Do Pile.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 06:20:21 PM »
Heh, I understand !  ^.^

Magic Eraser works wonders! I had to learn the hard way though, to keep it away from all original pony paint, including symbols..oopsie.  >_< :) ..If the body is just slightly dirty I use regular low grade rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »
Lol at 80s Mullet.  :lol:
Hmm. Never heard of hoof splits before. He's a good looking boy otherwise though.  I don't blame you about disliking mold more, that stuff is seriously gross XQ, I'm sure a good cleaning and airing out will do wonders for him.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal