collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to tell if a pony has original curl?  (Read 652 times)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell if a pony has original curl?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
Even on the same pony, if you gathered 50 moc and opened them the curls would vary too! It's always going to be a softer look, ranging from more springy curls to a soft wave. That SS paradise does have her original curl in there. I either seek out never brushed immaculate ponies, or ones who's hair has been left in a rats nest, but I know that her curls are still present. it's time consuming and can be hit and miss actually cleaning up the hair, but overall I'vve had great results bringing it out again without the use of curlers etc. Most re-curls are going to have a tighter more uniform look, or the hair divided into distinct tighter uniform ringlets.*

*exceptions to the distinct ringlets rules are ponies like candy cane curls, or rainbow curls, MO goldilocks. Few ponies actually came this way. and original, they still have a different look then when they've been redone in straw curls.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
I don't quite know how to describe it, but to me, factory curls and restyled curls have a different structure within the ringlets themselves, even besides the wave-like shape some factory curl takes. When a person does something like straw curls, the individual portions of hair that make up the ringlets become sort of flattened when wrapped around something, and the ends tend to be looser than factory. With factory, the ends of the ringlets/waves sort of stick/clump/tangle together, and the individual portions are not "flat" like they've been wrapped around something. Think more like curling a piece of yarn for factory, versus curling a piece of ribbon for re-curls.

And, as was described in the process of making factory curl, the hair ends up taking on a different, rougher texture, so even once the curl is gone, you can still often tell it used to be curly.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
Do you know a good comparison in real life....think about how you curl ribbon. Its actually the exact same process just for nylon hair would be done with something bigger and fancier and more exact than a pair of scissors :P

I'd been kinda wondering if the scissors technique would work on recurling pony hair.  Or would that just make it frizz?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
fascinating. not sure I understand it exactly, but i'm fascinated none the less!
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
Do you know a good comparison in real life....think about how you curl ribbon. Its actually the exact same process just for nylon hair would be done with something bigger and fancier and more exact than a pair of scissors :P

I'd been kinda wondering if the scissors technique would work on recurling pony hair.  Or would that just make it frizz?

No, but that technique is a good way to explain how hair curls. Hair actually curls because it is straight on one side. Take a strand of your hair and do the same thing with your nails or a credit card. It will curl up (depending on the porosity of your hair, it could break).

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
Okay, now I really want to know... how did they give the ponies their curls? When I was little, I always imagined people lovingly curling their hair before sticking them in packages but I'm sure that's not the case XD

Sooooo.... how do you think they actually curled the ponies hair?  Do you think it was a big machine?  Did they use heat, I wonder and if so, how did they keep the hair from being damaged  :what: 

I think thats a lovely idea! Unfortunately however all the hair will already have been curly before it even made it to the ponies to be added. Hair can be made with different sizes of curl - clearly for MLP its a very large curl size hence the impression of a wave rather than a curl. As to the process, its way more technical than I am going to be able to describe :P But its simply that straight hair will undergo a process where one side of the hair is stretched more and at a more acute angle than the other side. Nylon hair has a certain elasticity ensuring it can be stretched and curled but will always be able to be restored. However there is a limit and if you push that then the polymer molecules will break apart and cannot be restored again - to create a curl they force this break on one side of the hair ensuring each side of the hair wants to be a different length...that creates a curl.

I always heard it was the farts of Scots!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline princess

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
I'll agree with everyone else and say it has a nice wave to it, yet looks disheveled.  I didn't realize there was a thing as factory curl when I got my hands on a couple of ponies, so when I was cleaning up ponies like Sundance I just thought they had extremely tangled and messy hair.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of a lot of factory curls, but I just bought a pony with his curl still, and I think I'm going to let him keep it. Though I'm worried I'll forget that and try brushing his hair to look nicer.  :redface:

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 06:20:39 AM »
Okay, now I really want to know... how did they give the ponies their curls? When I was little, I always imagined people lovingly curling their hair before sticking them in packages but I'm sure that's not the case XD

Sooooo.... how do you think they actually curled the ponies hair?  Do you think it was a big machine?  Did they use heat, I wonder and if so, how did they keep the hair from being damaged  :what: 

I think thats a lovely idea! Unfortunately however all the hair will already have been curly before it even made it to the ponies to be added. Hair can be made with different sizes of curl - clearly for MLP its a very large curl size hence the impression of a wave rather than a curl. As to the process, its way more technical than I am going to be able to describe :P But its simply that straight hair will undergo a process where one side of the hair is stretched more and at a more acute angle than the other side. Nylon hair has a certain elasticity ensuring it can be stretched and curled but will always be able to be restored. However there is a limit and if you push that then the polymer molecules will break apart and cannot be restored again - to create a curl they force this break on one side of the hair ensuring each side of the hair wants to be a different length...that creates a curl.

And here I had always thought that's what made the hair grown on boy ponies' hooves  :wonder:
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »

Nope..thats the reason for the hole in the ozone layer :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Dulci

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
In my experience they all look very similar.  Additionally they've all had some age so if it looks clean and groomed - it's not original.  Expect to see some frizz or feel some thickness where they were originally curled.
WANTED:
 - Nirvana Glory(s)      - Nirvana Moondancers
PM me if you're selling :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

My husband is only half-Scot but has full-lethal farts, so I am in agreement with this.  I can only imagine what a full-Scot would be capable of. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

My husband is only half-Scot but has full-lethal farts, so I am in agreement with this.  I can only imagine what a full-Scot would be capable of. 

Epic proportions...think dalek/borg lovechild evil.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »

Sooooo.....Persistent in their desire to eradicate me.  Got it.   :freak: 

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »
Human hair is curly to varying degrees depending on how curcular the hair itself is. If you take a cross-section of straight hair it'll be an almost perfect cirle, wheras curled hair has an oval shape. The more oval, the curlier the hair. It's pretty cool, actuaaly.
I have this here TAF pony who came with almost out of the box factory curl. It was dirty, though, so i had to wash it. I used COLD water (hot will relax it too much) and put the shampoo in my palm, then laid the hair onto the shampoo and *scrunched* it into the curls, without stretching them at all. I rinsed in cold using the scrunch, then conditioned and rinsed again, still scrunching. To dry, i positioned her curls back to where they were originally and laid her on her side to dry and hold the position. I left her there for a WEEK! She still has that curl, too,even months later!
I think a lot of the curl has to do with the squash in the plastic packaging and the heat from the factory as well as the steps taken to curl the hair to begin with :)

As opposed to this one, whom I gave sponge roller curls to:

Her sponge curls have sagged out and relaxed with time. Original curl seems to last forever if it isn't brushed...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:30:18 PM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »

Sooooo.....Persistent in their desire to eradicate me.  Got it.   :freak: 

But it also means you have the power to defeat them..

Not sure what that "power" would be - wit and a gravelly sexy voice maybe?
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal