collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 507
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Variant or Fading? What do you think?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Variant or Fading? What do you think?
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
Okay I know this seems silly because the more I look at them, the more I'm sure I'm just nuts and the left one is faded... but I've had these two Curly Locks in my collection together FOREVER. They're just so... different. I don't see any sign of the left one's hair EVER being that pink - but on many ponys, like posey or lickety split, when their hair fades, usually you can see it at the base of the mane or tail... so the left one has none of that... The right one is obviously very bright pink but it looks pinker than any hair in her tail. Both have same foot marks and everything else...

Anyway, - Variant or fading? I'm leading towards the left one being faded... I'd just like some other collectors opinions!! Thank you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
Re: Variant or Fading? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »
Some pink hair hates staying pink over time, so chances are that it's fading.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
That's definitely faded :) of course they would use different batches of hair and I guess the quality of some batches was not as good as others so that's why some fade and some don't.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »
Yes certainly faded :) But wow the pink on that one on the left is amazingly unfaded!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »
Okay thanks! I thought I was crazy for having her with my other BnG Variants after looking at her... I will have to give her a bath and put her with her BnG sisters. Thank you all for the input! :)

My Want List

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:45 PM »
Yes, that's the "fading pink" hair that most commonly does that. Nice to see one that's still as bright as it should be! Just keep that one out of the sun!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
Call me nuts... but I thought I had seen/read somewhere that there was a variant of this gal? Where that pink streak isn't the same pink as the lovely fading pink we all love to hate? I've seen a few on ebay with the same vivid pink and almost been tempted to bid because of it  :blush:  I'll keep an eye on this thread for more opinions to see if I am truly mad or not  :lol:

Ok - quick edit - found where I'd seen that:

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/curly_locks.htm
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:00:37 PM by Marlin »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
She's quite lovely but definitely faded. (*You're also very lucky if either one does not have re-grind.*)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
There is some variants in BNG's - Some do not have the fading pink hair - but a different shade - I've come across this multiple times.  The one on the left is certainly faded but the one on the right may or may not have the fading pink hair hard to tell in the photo.
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
So, I'm with you all on the fading thing... but like Marlin mentioned, there is talk about how some versions, like the MIB/MOC one they mentioned on the My Little Pony Scrapbook, who has very light pink hair, and then they mention that a variation could be this super dark pink hair... so I don't know what to do with the lighter colored-mane one yet... Does anyone happen to have a Curly Locks MOC/MIB that I could see? I've looked all over but have yet to find a picture. I assume though, that sun fading could happen through the boxes, leading to MOC ponies looking like the one on the left - as some of my MOC ponies have yellowed bubbles and such, obviously some sort of environmental reaction...

And I will mention, neither one of them has any regrind that I can see, even though their bodies seem perfect for that kind of issue... both are in really pretty nice condition, except for the fading... I mean, clearly the left one is faded no questions asked, the body is lighter, the hair is crazy different, but - do you really think it faded from the right color-pink to the left? That's why I guess I was trying to see if there was some variants or anything... and then with this little blip about variants - http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/curly_locks.htm
do you think there's any merit to that at all? I guess seeing that a long time ago may have been why I kept both girls...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:42:44 AM by SunshinePony »

My Want List

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
The one on the right very much looks to have un-faded fading pink to me, and to my knowledge, there is no pink MLP hair that was produced lighter than fading pink, so I'd say yes, the one on the left faded from that. Unless I'm mistaken and there is a color of pink hair that's produced lighter than fading pink?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Ok not sure how to explain this so bear with me :) And the confusion above may be from how we are terming pinks.

Yes there are minor variations in colour in the classic fading pink - just as there are actually minor variations in every single hair colour used in MLP. Similarly yes "fading" pink is perhaps the colour we most notoriously notice as being dramatically affected by UV - however it is the case that all colours fade some with greater speed and under less UV influence than others.

However, it should be noted that this fading pink hair in its many shades from completely unfaded right through to pale pale pink, is not the same as the similarly coloured but not fading [or at least not as dramatically fading] as bubblegum pink. The bubblegum pink colour is the shade we see on a couple of ponies in Europe - Princess Serena and Curly Locks. 

I have owned Curly Locks MIB with a front lock of hair which was completely white as well as one which was distinctly pink but not an intense shade.

Therefore the pony on the left could well have the bubblegum shade BUT bubblegum pink hair is really not that far off the fading pink hair when it is completely unfaded so equally you could have a Curly Locks who simply has been very well preserved. I would actually say from the fact her body colour is also unfaded is a good indication this girl has not been overly exposed to UV in any way.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »
Oh, interesting! I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of the two shades of pink one day.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
Here is a link to shelti's amazing Princess variant site - this page is for Princess Serena - you can see her in the top picture with her fading pink hair and beneath with bubblegum hair. The first picture has her pink faded a little unfortunately but as you know its just about impossible to find a pony with fading pink that isnt at least a little faded.

http://shel-tponies.com/PPCATALOG/PPCatSerena.html
Loa is my love god!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
Wow I think that really cleared it up for me then...

From all that great info... my best guess then is that the left one was made with 'fading pink' hair and has faded quite a bit, body and hair... and the one on the right is probably the non-fading bubblegum pink or a 'fading pink' that's never been exposed to much sunlight...

That sounds right... right?? LoL My personal Princess Serena has pretty pink hair still, and when I do compare the two, Curly locks is a bit darker and 'pinker' which pushes me towards her being made with the non-fading bubblegum pink hair versus Serena's 'fading pink'... ?

I am really super excited for all the help and the information about these girls, I've learned so much just by keeping two ponies who at first glance really just look like one faded and one regular, but there's so much more, LOL! Thank you all :)

My Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal