collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Withe VS G3 White  (Read 406 times)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
G1 Withe VS G3 White
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
Were the G1 ponies EVER as white as the G3s?

Should I be concerned when I feel a G1 pony is White, but when placing it against a G3 looks really dingy?

I assume that G1 plastic and G3 plastic are about as alike as Apples and Banannas and therefore it is unrealistic to compare the 2 whites?

Any thoughts?

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Withe VS G3 White
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
I believe the G1's are made of a different plastic compound which was TRUE white when they were new but it dulls with age.
G3's are true white and since they're younger they have yet to fade completely.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
What a cool question!

All the shades of white....Personally I am going to say no the G1s were never as pure and vibrant a white as the G3s; most of those intending to be white were very very white but I do believe the vast majority of ponies have yellowed to some extent [be it major or a teeny tiny amount] over the years just due to the nature of plastic.

They are made of 2 slightly different plastics bases therefore the fact that the generations are different shades of white is probably no different than why we get G4s with heads and bodies which should be the same colour but are different shades. Different processes, different manufacturing means a different finish and shade - what is white on one medium is not necessarily the same shade of white as another medium.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »
i have a couple of G1 birthflower ponies that are the truest white, as white as the G3 and they are of a harder vinyl, i find they all vary and the squishy they are the more they are prone to discoloration.
one of my truest white ones was almost a tan colour and it took only 2 days in winter on a windowsill  to go back to white 

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
The purest white pony I have ever seen is a sundance who is also a slightly harder vinyl...I have seen several Sundances like that, actually!

Early white ponies(gusty, glory, moon dancer, etc.) age to an off white or cream color(which is the color of my errors, too!) that I think is the 'natural' vinyl color before its dyed?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
hathorcat couldn't have said it better! I think there are many things that go into determining how white a pony is regardless of age, as well- particularly how they were stored and how they have been handled over the ages. If a white g3 is handled constantly by a child with dirty hands they'll tend to look just as dingy as every other pony would, and if they are not stored properly they could possibly get any dingier, much the same way a g1 could.

I have a g1 Baby Dangles (who was just given an oxyclean bath not too long ago) who is currently whiter than any of my white g3s, dingy or not! So I guess if you wanted to name fingers and point names at what causes variations in white, I'd say it boils down to: age, type of plastic used to create the pony, how it has been stored, how it has been handled, how the pony was made in the factory, and probably how it has been cleaned, as well!  ^.^
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal