collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Peroxide sunfading advice please  (Read 468 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Peroxide sunfading advice please
« on: October 20, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »
I'm sun fading a few girls in peroxide since that seems to work well for several people. I know it will take forever considering we're in the winter months now and nice direct sun is scarce. -_-  Question!

It took forever to find a container that had a clear top (this top even has a bit of a frostyness on the top of it), and my ponies are mostly getting sunlight from the sides instead of through the top. I had trouble with them wanting to float up to the top of the container and therefore nothing good was coming from it. I took clear marbles and weighted one down. The other is an issue.

I have the head and body pulled apart since otherwise they will not fit in the container and be submerged in the peroxide. One pony I have her body weighted down to sit properly, but her head! Gah...the neck plug is too small to fit marbles through. I'm afraid of forcing them then the poor girl will have marbles rolling around in there forever. :P

I cannot for anything get her head to stay down under the peroxide, and it wants to just float about. Any suggestions especially from those that use this method on forcing her head to stay where it should?  I spent the other day fighting with it....might have spilled peroxide all over the counter and dishes.....maybe :lookround:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
Re: Peroxide sunfading advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:44 AM »
I've never been convinced on this - Light breaks down Hydrogen Peroxide into water and oxygen right - so how does it work? Pretty much after the first day you're just soaking your ponies in water and sunlight...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »
I've never been convinced on this - Light breaks down Hydrogen Peroxide into water and oxygen right - so how does it work? Pretty much after the first day you're just soaking your ponies in water and sunlight...
I'm not sure this is my first attempt at it, and I decided the shape these two ponies are in might as well try it.  Someone else might be better to ask about this than myself. I was trying to ask my mother about it earlier (but I think she was a bit weirded out that I was putting peroxide on ponies). I know peroxide itself is useful for removing things. I watched my mother and grandmother use it on their scrubs all the time for work.

How it actually works, if it works and the components of peroxide and the reaction. These are things I know little about. :blush:

Formerly Maddie

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »
I'm not sure how the chemical works but either way the results vary, I wanted to do a test but I don't have the ponies to run these test.

anyway, madhatterda the solution for keeping her head down is to fill the inside of the head with the peroxide itself. The head keeps floating because of air trapped inside, which is also why the body floated too.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
I might sound stupid in asking this then, but how do you get the air out?  I just keep pushing her dang head under the peroxide and it pops back up like a top.

Oh the body wasn't bad about resurfacing it just wasn't stable. I wanted it to sit to one side, so I could flip it around easily without it rocking back and forth. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. :lol:

Formerly Maddie

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »
I might sound stupid in asking this then, but how do you get the air out?  I just keep pushing her dang head under the peroxide and it pops back up like a top.

Oh the body wasn't bad about resurfacing it just wasn't stable. I wanted it to sit to one side, so I could flip it around easily without it rocking back and forth. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. :lol:
Just turn her head over so the neck hole is facing up, like a cup so the peroxide can fill the head
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:29:30 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »

Just turn her head over so the neck hole is facing up, like a cup so the peroxide can fill the head
Wow, I'm not the brightest....I was pushing it under instead of turning it over. Thanks :blush: :blush:

Formerly Maddie

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
I'm sun fading a few girls in peroxide since that seems to work well for several people. I know it will take forever considering we're in the winter months now and nice direct sun is scarce. -_-  Question!

It took forever to find a container that had a clear top (this top even has a bit of a frostyness on the top of it), and my ponies are mostly getting sunlight from the sides instead of through the top. I had trouble with them wanting to float up to the top of the container and therefore nothing good was coming from it. I took clear marbles and weighted one down. The other is an issue.

I have the head and body pulled apart since otherwise they will not fit in the container and be submerged in the peroxide. One pony I have her body weighted down to sit properly, but her head! Gah...the neck plug is too small to fit marbles through. I'm afraid of forcing them then the poor girl will have marbles rolling around in there forever. :P

I cannot for anything get her head to stay down under the peroxide, and it wants to just float about. Any suggestions especially from those that use this method on forcing her head to stay where it should?  I spent the other day fighting with it....might have spilled peroxide all over the counter and dishes.....maybe :lookround:

Fishing sinkers? maybe use some line and tie them to the neck ring?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »
Ivy is right - HP and sun soak is essentially a water and sun soak because the UV breaks the HP apart and the reaction happens so quickly that it has no affect on the pony. You can simply use a water soak and out into the sun for the same affect.

However, for weighing down her head I would suggest a weight at the bottom of the jar and then fishing line tied around neck or even a hank of hair and held by the weight if you want the item completely submerged.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal