collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To restore or not to restore? That is the question  (Read 2205 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
To restore or not to restore? That is the question
« on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
I buy a lot of restoration project ponies since I find them fun. I cannot do all the like painting and other neat things, but I do like cleaning, sunfading and rehairing when necessary. I have a pretty flawed herd, but they please me. ^.^

I have a pair of them that have been sunfading a while and while staring at them the other day I felt a slight tinge of guilt. I'm half debating taking them out of the window and letting them keep their strange marks I'm fading. After all poor girls earned the battle scars from years of crazy children or who knows?  Ever have slight restoration remorse? Did you end up leaving them be? I might let these girls go on as they are instead of finishing them up.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
Re: To restore or not to restore? That is the question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »
I have a BBE Lofty that I'm wondering whether or not I should customize... I managed to get most of the rust out of her eyes, but I'm still not sure, her body's turned to a nice creamish color (which I suppose some sunfading would help) however there are pink stains in her neck from the nail polish I cleaned off that was no doubt on there for more than ten years. Dunno how or IF I can get that out.  :|
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »
Hmmmm....when it comes to removing marks no I haven't ever had any kind of remorse but then again I don't like to fix a pony up with eye or symbol touch-ups - "natural" restoration only lol if you know what I mean!

However, I have changed out a couple of original tails in the past for dollyhair replacements and I regret that on both ponies...looking back I would have preferred I had tried harder to remove all the remnants of rust and defrizzed better.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

• Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
However, I have changed out a couple of original tails in the past for dollyhair replacements and I regret that on both ponies...looking back I would have preferred I had tried harder to remove all the remnants of rust and defrizzed better.

Why, what happened? D:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
depends on the pony but most every one can be restored
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »

Why, what happened? D:

Nothing :) I just wish I had kept the pony's hair original rather than replaced it with new hair and automatically devalue her a little. It was a lesson learned and I wouldn't do it again.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »
Hey Maddie (and everypony!) :wave:

I'm having a bit of this feeling.  There are a few ponies I have with either initials or a name on the bottom of their hooves; I don't want to sunfade those away, 'cause all I can think of is in Toy Story 2, when Woody had Andy's name painted over. :cry:  I'm too sensitive for my own good, I think...

I also have a Sparkler with an issue (some little person with a marker drew her, um, some anatomic adjustments, shall we say?) but I'm more of a mind to keep it 'cause it's so funny. :lol:  Haven't yet made up my mind, but I've got until next summer when the sun gets more propitious to sunfading (it's carpy weather here now, all cold and rainy and blah).

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
No restore remorse. Might as well make them look their best!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
depends on the pony but most every one can be restored

Mmm not to confuse people. I wasn't asking if they could be restored just if they should.

Cat: I'm sorry to hear that. I've replaced some hair, but I have no regrets. :P

Purple: Isn't baby Lofty's body sort of a yellowy color anyway? I think it is. I'm sure sunfading would help it's sure doing wonders for my pen marked girls. ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

• Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
Purple: Isn't baby Lofty's body sort of a yellowy color anyway? I think it is. I'm sure sunfading would help it's sure doing wonders for my pen marked girls. ^.^

Some of the pictures I've seen of her online make it hard to tell D: either way, that darn nail polish won't be coming off until probably next summer  :enraged: lskdjfkldsjfksdlf /flails angrily at children who had her before me

Also, Cat, I'm sorry to hear that. :c I think I'll only rehair ponies if absolutely necessary (mainly cause I'm lazy but also cause I learned something from you, that that decreases their value) In cases like my Rosedust though, it's pretty unavoidable... /stares at her buzz cut  :cloud:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 06:00:13 AM »
Lol yes a buzz cut gives you little choice but new hair!

But honestly if you ever encounter just a plug or 2 in a mane which needs replaced or a pony has a need for a new tail, I personally now try and pick up a bait pony and use their tail to replace the mane plugs or replace the tail.

And yes Baby Lofty is a creamy yellow in colour :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
I've never had remorse over restoring a pony - but there are a couple of ponies in my herd that I'll never restore - isn't that funny. My Childhood Firefly for example - missing her tail - battered and bruised but she displays proudly with the rest of my herd.
But those are my memories that are stored with her. However, any lost or wayward pony that comes to me through other channels - well my memories aren't attached to them and I want to make them feel like a star again! So yes I do my best to fix them up!
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
*grins* I look for 'well loved' ponies more than mint; I think those are the most precious ones!  They get cleaned up and their hair gets conditioned and de-frizzed, but that's it, no heavy restoration. :)

I don't mean the ones where the owner didn't care about it and wrote all over it, but the ones who were loved and played with over the years and show it.  They are sunfaded, slightly dingy, dry hair, usually have marker on a foot(their owner didn't want to chance loosing them!), and at one time, they were someone's favorite toy that went everywhere with them. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
I love to pick up "baity" ponies and then care fully wash them and pamper them with conditioner and straigthner and try to de-spot them as much as possible.
But i have not try to sunfade...and i find a faint spot on a pony no big deal.
The are vintage and played with so it gave them some more caracter i think.
I even spray a little perfume on their hairs before i put them in the cabinet....*blush*
Yes i'm carefull with that...i spray it from a distance and only on the tip of the tail. I begun to do this with ponies i found who where very moldy and how i wash and de-stink them after a while they get that smell a little bit back...

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal