collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Spot check on my girls, please? :(  (Read 616 times)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Spot check on my girls, please? :(
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
So, I've got a few girls I'm worried about, and if I could get some input, that would be great. I did my best to get adequate pictures and I'll describe the marks in detail the best I can.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm not too worried about Medley here. This spot isn't very dark and is a grayish color with an irregular shape. It won't clean off, though.

The spots on Baby Blossom are very faint, but they're a few small orangeish spots on one side of her body. The one in the center of the photo, which has a more clearly defined dark spot in the center, is the one I'm most concerned about. She was originally stored with Medley in the same box that I received her in.

I'm really concerned about Bow Tie. She has a large splotch of discoloration on her NDS side, and in the middle are two darker circular marks, which are what actually concerns me about this, especially since I don't remember seeing them before. This really bothers me because other than this, Bow Tie is absolutely gorgeous. :(
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Spot check on my girls, please? :(
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
Its so tough to tell from camera images but I would "guess" age spots...

What have you tried to remove the marks from the surface of the pony so far? Acetone? Magic eraser?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
I have a Baby Ribbon with a leg just like your Bowtie's. When I opened her up she was full.. and I mean FULLLLLLLL of rust on the inside. You couldn't tell from her tail even.
So maybe it's worth opening BT up? So far I have not found a way to get rid of the stains, but IF it is really rust for you as well, you might at least keep it from spreading. :<

Offline reanna-mator

• MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
Its so tough to tell from camera images but I would "guess" age spots...

What have you tried to remove the marks from the surface of the pony so far? Acetone? Magic eraser?

The only spots I was able to do anything with are the splotches on Bow Tie. I think a gentle rubbing with acetone on a q-tip was able to get a bit of it off, but it seems to go too deep or be too strong for it to come off altogether. Everything else has resisted everything going all the way up to acetone, that I've tried.

Took a closer look at Bow Tie. First of all, her head was loose, so that implies she's been worked on. I didn't find any rust in her but there is also a telltale ring of slight discoloration visible from the outside, where her washer would be, and she no longer has a washer holding her tail in. I would be willing to bet that a previous owner cleaned rust out of her (at least, from the looks of it, they did a very good job). Unfortunately her inside shows the telltale stickiness of plasticizer breakdown. :(

As long as the marks aren't going to spread, I really don't mind that much. They're impossible to see when she's displayed from her display side.

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
Try sunfading? I've successfully faded Bowtie without fading her body color.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
If some of the mark shifted with acetone on Bow Tie then its not an age mark but it must be something on the outside - try magic eraser on her to see if you can clear the remainder of it...and if still  nothing sun fade may be required.

Unfortunately cancer/age marks are a break down in the plastic - if one part of the plastic has degraded far enough for this the rest of the body or other parts of the plastic may very well follow.
Loa is my love god!

Offline reanna-mator

• MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
If some of the mark shifted with acetone on Bow Tie then its not an age mark but it must be something on the outside - try magic eraser on her to see if you can clear the remainder of it...and if still  nothing sun fade may be required.

Unfortunately cancer/age marks are a break down in the plastic - if one part of the plastic has degraded far enough for this the rest of the body or other parts of the plastic may very well follow.

Yeah. Looks like I'll have to do what I can for my girl and possibly add Bow Tie to my future "upgrades" list (along with Fizzy and Masquerade). For now I will just keep an eye on her.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:10:50 AM »
Good luck with your cleaning! I have an upgrade list like that myself!
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal