collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizing Mountain Boys...?  (Read 25436 times)

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
Re: Customizing Mountain Boys...?
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
As a G1 collector it makes me sad to see a MB customized. Even if Fireball had stains or cancer spots he would have been a better candidate for restoration.

As a customizer it still makes me sad. I wish all customizers would act responsibly when it comes to selecting baits. This is why I rarely use G1 baits and why the majority ponies in my custom collection are G3s.

Now, I'm also of the mind that all ponies are property and people are free to do with them what they will. This goes both ways... If someone wants to bait their rare ponies that's their business. It makes me sad but there isn't much I can do about it. On the flip side if someone wants to buy a custom just to strip it down and recustomize it...well that's also their business.

I don't keep customs - I sell everyone I make. Once I have your money it's none of my business what happens to the customs. Would I want to be told it was being destroyed? NO but again, it's now your pony.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I can see both sides of the situation.  Both scenarios (customizing HTF ponies and stripping customs) make me sad but I'm not going to waste my time or energy getting worked up over it.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »
Every time this topic comes up there are a bunch of "it's your pony so you can do what you want with it" responses.

That is true in the literal sense;  the Pony Cops are not going to bust down your door and arrest you for customizing Ice Crystal.

At the same time, it's more complicated than that.  This is a community, and every community has standards and expectations.  This is why we would reel in shock if someone bought an expensive custom that had taken hours of work and then put up a Youtube video showing the buyer defacing the pony and then setting it on fire . . . even though "it is their pony, they can do what they want with it."

Everyone CAN do what they want with their ponies, but doing certain things is going to make people upset, sad, or just boiling mad.  Scribbling all over a Mimic in permanent ink.  Cutting the hair of a mint Rapunzel.  Customizing Fireball.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:21:12 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
I do feel it was strange to customize a mountain boy, but in fairness it was their choice, most of us wouldn't dream of it, but maybe they didn't know the sheer rarity and value of Fireball and Ice Crystal? It is a crying sham, I admit, but we can't change what's already happened, all we can do is hope it doesn't happen again :(

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »
I have problems trying to customize common G1s, let alone rare ones! :whoa:

It's their pony and all, but it is pretty disappointing. It's just like seeing someone hand over a Mimic to their 5 year old kid and watch them cut their hair and throw them in the dirt before selling them along... Like others have said, it's one less pony of that kind in existance, really.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »
Every time this topic comes up there are a bunch of "it's your pony so you can do what you want with it" responses.

That is true in the literal sense;  the Pony Cops are not going to bust down your door and arrest you for customizing Ice Crystal.

At the same time, it's more complicated than that.  This is a community, and every community has standards and expectations.  This is why we would reel in shock if someone bought an expensive custom that had taken hours of work and then put up a Youtube video showing the buyer defacing the pony and then setting it on fire . . . even though "it is their pony, they can do what they want with it."

Everyone CAN do what they want with their ponies, but doing certain things is going to make people upset, sad, or just boiling mad.  Scribbling all over a Mimic in permanent ink.  Cutting the hair of a mint Rapunzel.  Customizing Fireball.

This is so true! Very well put.

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
Well, I know they are rare but If I found a mountain boy who had no hair, eye paint or symbols I really don't see why customizing or restoration wouldn't be a good idea.

SuniMoon

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Okay. I haven't SEEN the ponies themselves, so I dunno, but...
I don't want to offend, but... umm....

I think some of you guys are kind of... Uhh.... ;--;

Guys? I'm sorry. But I don't get it. I see a shiny new pony at the thrift store, and I smile. Even with ponies I don't like, I think "I couldn't bait you... You lived thiiis long? You deserve to keep on going."

I'm not really even a collector. I like a few ponies, only own, like, 20 that haven't been modded.... But...
Cancer, guys. Cancer, age spots, mold spots that won't come out even after you kill the mold.

Hair so matted that even with conditioning and a flat iron cannot be restored...

Symbols scuffed beyond recognition, body parts gnawed off by dogs...

Yeah. You can reroot. You can sculpt, you can repaint, paint over... All that...
But where in the course of restoration is the point totally lost? Doesn't it get to a point where, if you have to, say, do a full body repaint to hide cancer on a restore, that it may asweeeelll be a custom, it's taken so much effort to restore it? And it's no longer woooorth anything BECAUSE it was a mess taht was simply restored, and for all anyone knows, it might not even BE the pony they say it is. I know you guys can say customizers are mooonsters for even thiiinking about taking that rare pony with no tail, a leg gnawed off, and cancer everywhere, and mod it.... But what is it without modding it? Restoring for your personal collection is one thing, and I do that.... But you can't really restore for others to that scale, can you?

I just feel like... When a pony looks that bad, and nothing can make it look better, it doesn't belong on anyones shelf.... Frankly, I think ponies with cancer are disgusting. I mean, wasn't it proven recently that there was some bacteria in it? It's... Ick.

I just think it's better to give them new life... Now, I'd say there are some exceptions to this rule, but there are only so many.

Customizing doesn't destroy a pony. It gives it a new chance at life.... That doesn't involve living in a collectors plastic tub, sealed in a plastic bag, with a silica packet, because it's not pretty enough to display, and the owners afraid it will keep spreading.

So, I dunno... Maybe I like to daydream Toy Story style way too much, but I think a pony would feel sad in that situation, and they'd rather be loved after their makeover, than be prized, but tossed in a ziplock...

*ducks for people throwing fakies, and runs out*

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
Customizing doesn't destroy a pony. It gives it a new chance at life.... That doesn't involve living in a collectors plastic tub, sealed in a plastic bag, with a silica packet, because it's not pretty enough to display, and the owners afraid it will keep spreading.

So, I dunno... Maybe I like to daydream Toy Story style way too much, but I think a pony would feel sad in that situation, and they'd rather be loved after their makeover, than be prized, but tossed in a ziplock...

I think this is a beautiful sentiment.  I customize all gens, the moldy, the chewed on, the cancerous.  Ponies that have served their time faithfully.  If they are rare/uncommon the can be lovingly restored (I restored a pony with its face cut in half!)  It's pretty much a custom them, but I see it as a restore as I'm not "inventing" anything. 

Fireball?  Bad idea.  But it is a done deal.  I think the customs are nice and gonig to get a lot of attention both good and bad. 

I do hope that if the artist ever visited the Arena, we would still show them our internet-famous pony hospitality :)

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
Okay. I haven't SEEN the ponies themselves, so I dunno, but...
I don't want to offend, but... umm....

I think some of you guys are kind of... Uhh.... ;--;

Guys? I'm sorry. But I don't get it. I see a shiny new pony at the thrift store, and I smile. Even with ponies I don't like, I think "I couldn't bait you... You lived thiiis long? You deserve to keep on going."

I'm not really even a collector. I like a few ponies, only own, like, 20 that haven't been modded.... But...
Cancer, guys. Cancer, age spots, mold spots that won't come out even after you kill the mold.

Hair so matted that even with conditioning and a flat iron cannot be restored...

Symbols scuffed beyond recognition, body parts gnawed off by dogs...

Yeah. You can reroot. You can sculpt, you can repaint, paint over... All that...
But where in the course of restoration is the point totally lost? Doesn't it get to a point where, if you have to, say, do a full body repaint to hide cancer on a restore, that it may asweeeelll be a custom, it's taken so much effort to restore it? And it's no longer woooorth anything BECAUSE it was a mess taht was simply restored, and for all anyone knows, it might not even BE the pony they say it is. I know you guys can say customizers are mooonsters for even thiiinking about taking that rare pony with no tail, a leg gnawed off, and cancer everywhere, and mod it.... But what is it without modding it? Restoring for your personal collection is one thing, and I do that.... But you can't really restore for others to that scale, can you?

I just feel like... When a pony looks that bad, and nothing can make it look better, it doesn't belong on anyones shelf.... Frankly, I think ponies with cancer are disgusting. I mean, wasn't it proven recently that there was some bacteria in it? It's... Ick.

I just think it's better to give them new life... Now, I'd say there are some exceptions to this rule, but there are only so many.

You've said great things, yeah, customizing gives ponies a new life.
Always, actually.  But when the pony almost the only thing it needed was a bath and was completely baited, is a whole different thing (at least for me, and who the pony in question is).

But also as collectors, we feel bad when a pony with issues (cancer, age spots, matted hair, etc., to not say a perfectly good pony) is turned into a custom and not taking into account (trading/selling) it to someone who doesn't care about issues, just to have said pony.

I've just gotten a pony, that as many customizers may think, is not even worth the time to even try to clean her up, and to better customize atm.  But she's one of the jewels of my collection.  And why?  Because given all her issues, was the only way I could afford her (it is a Peru Glory, yellowed, matted hair, eyes and symbols almost completely gone).

And with Toy Story...  I know it saddens me when ponies are just stored, away from display, in boxes, bags, etc., but I also understand that they are so because their owners have not the space to display them all.  I know I'm really lucky to be able to display all my G1s, G2s and G4s due to my big room (and I need more walls ;_;), but almost all my G3s are stored in the closet, and I know it is not fair for them, either.

But in the end, they are TOYS designed for kids, that we love and collect, a lot of us because we grew up with them, and others because they found about and started to like/love them.

I know one time I almost had a heart attack when in a party (less than 10 years ago) there was a MIB  in MINT BOX Mexican Baby Moondancer and a little girl opened it tearing it apart in the moment she got him...  But they are toys, yeah, I'd loved to have gotten him, but I was not going to argue with a mom and girl over a toy, even if I have paid and bought him for myself.

And I couldn't agree more with Colorscarpet =)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
 LadyMoondancer - you managed to word all of my thoughts perfectly!

i would also like to remind people (because many long term collectors need reminding now and then ^^) that some of us (ie. me) don't care much for imperfections! I don't see cancer as icky or whatever, and I don't mind that my 4-Speed has faded pink stripe and is riddled with cancer/discoloration - just like I wouldn't mind a Fireball with faults like those.

Just saying, no matter how "icky" a pony might be to one collector, it might still make a loving part of the collection for another :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:25:20 PM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
LadyMoondancer - you managed to word all of my thoughts perfectly!

i would also like to remind people (because many long term collectors need reminding now and then ^^) that some of us (ie. me) don't care much for imperfections! I don't see cancer as icky or whatever, and I don't mind that my 4-Speed has faded pink stripe and is riddled with cancer/discoloration - just like I wouldn't mind a Fireball with faults like those.

Just saying, no matter how "icky" a pony might be to one collector, it might still make a loving part of the collection for another :)
I am starting an army of regrind ponies. I want to do some tests and study how the process works to see if it can be manipulated to come out evenly.  I also love my cancer ponies. a lot seem to be ones from my childhood or past "grails" that just became cancerous in the last year or so.  I hope to be able to find ways to fix or eliminate the cancer completely.  I tend to hoard these poor sick ponies... and if that's the only thing wrong with them, they dont get customized. I am also afraid of what might happen after years with paint over top of the cancer... it kinda scares me to think about sealed away mold. O_o
And again I apologize for making people sad. I guess im just too used to the cut throat "fine art" world. :/  need to get out of that!
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
I do hope that if the artist ever visited the Arena, we would still show them our internet-famous pony hospitality :)

THIS.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
I think since the name of the seller is a pony name, that they knew how much Fireball goes for, and that he must have been in truly baity (marked up with no symbol and a haircut) condition to begin with. Especially since they have another pony for sale that is just a rehair. I mean I know some people would rather have it restored but if you would accept the kind of restore a pony that is that far gone would need then why not just have someone customize a common pony into Fireball? Either way it isn't original anymore.

They might not have even intended to sell him when he was made but times are hard and sometimes people end up having to part with something they originally planned to keep to pay the bills.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

TuxAndTails

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »
I think since the name of the seller is a pony name, that they knew how much Fireball goes for, and that he must have been in truly baity (marked up with no symbol and a haircut) condition to begin with. Especially since they have another pony for sale that is just a rehair. I mean I know some people would rather have it restored but if you would accept the kind of restore a pony that is that far gone would need then why not just have someone customize a common pony into Fireball? Either way it isn't original anymore.
I have a hard time believing he could have been in that bad a state when his customizer confirmed his eyes and freckles were intact and just needed a slight touching up. If a haircut and some symbol loss equals bait now, I can see why G1's are becoming so difficult to find :c

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:17 AM »
I personally won't touch a cancerous pony, I'm just too worried that it will spread to my other ponies, I have some childhood ponies that I have kept perfect all these years and if one of them suddenly got cancer I would be distraught :O
As for seeing a cancerous pony at a thrift store, personally I'd rather leave them there for someone else to enjoy, maybe even customize, since I have no creative skill whatsoever I believe others should be given a chance to enjoy that pony. As for dirt, haircuts etc, I will definitely rehome them, no matter how common or rare. As for bites and missing limbs, sadly I cant fix them so I also don't take them home. I do in this case with Fireball believe that it was strange to bait what appears to have been a prefectly in tact FB and customise him, it seems strange, and with Icecrystal too. Never mind. What's done is done. They look very good now anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal