collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizing Mountain Boys...?  (Read 25348 times)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
Re: Customizing Mountain Boys...?
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
He doesn't look like he could have been a Tornado, that's an odd color to fade to.  I'm still sticking with Barnacle.

I would discourage people to bid just to re-customize them.  Just because one was a MB doesn't make it a gorgeous custom.  There are people who would actually display them and love them as-is, rather than stripping someone's hard work...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
I've started a little story in my head about this whole thing. The seller is the vindictive ex-lover of a very active pony collector. This was done by the seller to get back at the ex, as they know it would upset them to see.

I have way too weird of an imagination  :silly:

Offline MimicMLP

• ~Non-Picky Pony Collector~
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • MimicMLP's Sales
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
Customizing Mountain Boys??

NO!  :yikes:

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
I've started a little story in my head about this whole thing. The seller is the vindictive ex-lover of a very active pony collector. This was done by the seller to get back at the ex, as they know it would upset them to see.

I have way too weird of an imagination  :silly:

this is the only thing that would make sense.

XD

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
I don't agree with customizing ponies that would be better for restores but if it is so far gone that you will have to repaint the whole body and such - I would probably make a custom too. At that point nothing is much original anyway.

On another note - as a customizer and pony seller - I have had g3 ponies that would be nice for collections (Snowflake- only missing accessories) that sat in my sales for about 6 months before I decided that I would rather customize it than have it sit around another year or two. Sometimes it comes down to time and space for me.

I can't personally say I wouldn't do it - but the bait would have to be more common than a MB or so far gone that it would become a custom no matter what (IE: New body paint, symbols, hair, eyes, etc)

I think this may be the case with the fireball one - his symbol is in a strange place and I believe it is to cover something up.

IMO - these are beautifully done customs and I am watching the auctions.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
we dont collect "for the sake of the community" and we dont hold ponies in trust for the sake of collectors as a whole....
Maybe you don't feel that way... Some of us actually collect to preserve the things we like, which kind of implies thinking about the larger collecting community, not just because we want it.

If that's not your reason for buying ponies, fine, I'm not going to judge or tell you what to do, but not everyone has the same attitude about collecting.

Wow...ok...I dont want to deteriorate into an argument here so I apologise for the use of "we" rather than "I"....but likewise this is a thread for peoples opinions and I respect other peoples so hopefully people can understand mine...which is that I simply think people's property is their own to do as they wish with...thats all I was trying to say. I just dont like threads that start bashing other people [what they do with their collections, what they pay for their ponies, what they make with their own ponies, etc etc!] thats all...and thats how this thread read "in my opinion". As I said I wouldnt do this myself and it makes me cringe....but I still think its the owners ponies to do as they wish with them.

And with that complete off topic divergence...I offer my apologies for the segway on this thread and bow out...lol!
I was simply objecting to your statement implying all collectors have or should have the same attitude about collecting. I would like to point out that I have never said one negative thing about a customizer, or criticized their choice of "bait", even if I disagreed with their decision. And I certainly haven't said anything like that here in this thread.

My point is simply that it may be wrong to be hateful in a situation like this, but it's not wrong to feel upset by something like this either...people have a right to their ponies AND their feelings.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:38:10 PM by Elisto »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
You guys do know that Ice Crystal one wasn't originally an Icy, right? :what: It's the wrong pose to be him. The Fireball one on the other hand... could have been a real Fireball :yikes:

ETA: The 'Ice Crystal' isn't even in either of Salty's possible poses, so that one must really have been a baity boy, possibly Barnicle, since I don't know if 4-Speed can quite match that color.

That's what I realized too! I was like, "where's Salty? I see Barnacle?" :P That's what I get for posting before looking at the picture.

Also, since I'm here anyway: I agree that people get to decide what they want to do with their own ponies. If you wanna customize your Mimic - go do it, it's your property. (I wouldn't do it, but it's your pony, your choice.) But she didn't customize her own pony for herself; she customized it for sale. Her 'right' to customize exists, yes, but because she's put it into a public arena, she no longer has any right to say that people aren't allowed to be upset by it. And if you're just customizing a rare pony for the sake of money ... yeah, I can't agree with that. It's unwise, first of all (destroying a rare pony AND lowering its value, much?), and it's - I dunno, I hesitate to say 'unfair to the community,' but I would say that it's upsetting to people who collect these items.

You wouldn't take a vintage video game that you hacked apart and turned into a clock and try to sell it to the video game collectors, would you? They want the game as it WAS, in a possibly-playable condition; they don't want some fancy clock you made with it.

I totally agree with that.  I saw those two customs too and figured that "Fire ball" really is Fireball (not sure about her "Ice Crystal") and it makes me a little heartsick to realize that someone customized a mountain boy.  Yes, they're the collector's property and that person can do whatever they want with their ponies.  But once they do something with them to put them up for sale, it's up for popular discussion.  I would love to own a mountain boy; any mountain boy in almost any condition - cancer, haircuts and all and I still can't afford them.  So, it makes me a little sad that there's now one less in the world because someone either didn't think or didn't care to do his/her research before baiting a rare pony.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

TuxAndTails

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
For my opinion on this... well, let's just say if I had the money, I would definitely nab that Fireball and restore him to what he was originally.
Even if the pony was extremely baity, it's still a Fireball. Using a Fireball to make a Fireball is still going to be more practical then using a different pony, and I'm sure lots of people would have been willing to buy him, or trade quite a few actual baits for him, just going by the responses in this thread.
Going by this person's username, and the fact that they labeled the auctions with the original names (I realize that isn't an Ice Crystal, but if they thought their $10 bait was worth triple that amount and they still customized it, is that really better?), I believe that person knows at least a little about the G1 pony community, which makes this even more saddening.

For those who are saying 'it's your pony, do what you wish', yeah, I agree with that. My best friend opened a mint in bag mail order pony, and I had no issue with that. But the difference is, if you open a bagged/carded pony or give your Mimic a mohawk, chances are that's because you had a reason for doing so, and you don't intend on having that pony leave your collection any time in the near future. This person, on the other hand, appears to have customized the ponies with the intention of selling them. Which gives people the right to be upset, and in my opinion, negates the 'it's your pony' thing because the person never intended on keeping it as their pony in the first place :huh:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
we dont collect "for the sake of the community" and we dont hold ponies in trust for the sake of collectors as a whole....
Maybe you don't feel that way... Some of us actually collect to preserve the things we like, which kind of implies thinking about the larger collecting community, not just because we want it.

If that's not your reason for buying ponies, fine, I'm not going to judge or tell you what to do, but not everyone has the same attitude about collecting.

Wow...ok...I dont want to deteriorate into an argument here so I apologise for the use of "we" rather than "I"....but likewise this is a thread for peoples opinions and I respect other peoples so hopefully people can understand mine...which is that I simply think people's property is their own to do as they wish with...thats all I was trying to say. I just dont like threads that start bashing other people [what they do with their collections, what they pay for their ponies, what they make with their own ponies, etc etc!] thats all...and thats how this thread read "in my opinion". As I said I wouldnt do this myself and it makes me cringe....but I still think its the owners ponies to do as they wish with them.

And with that complete off topic divergence...I offer my apologies for the segway on this thread and bow out...lol!
I was simply objecting to your statement implying all collectors have or should have the same attitude about collecting. I would like to point out that I have never said one negative thing about a customizer, or criticized their choice of "bait", even if I disagreed with their decision. And I certainly haven't said anything like that here in this thread.

My point is simply that it may be wrong to be hateful in a situation like this, but it's not wrong to feel upset by something like this either...people have a right to their ponies AND their feelings.

Lol...and after all that I think we are actually both of the same opinion in the end.."its wrong to be hateful but not wrong to be upset"!! Cool...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »
yeah... i was kinda mean... but from a financial standpoint i think they could have made more money with a reaaallly beat up mountain boy.  :/ and i am sad about it... but i AM thinking about bidding so i can have a mountain boy... if it goes for cheap enough that is... then i'd probably make him look back to his original state.... but that's just what id do.  I know it would be customizing a custom, but for the right price that may be the only way i will ever get a mountain boy. 

IMO this behavior would be way worse than the sellers. I mean at this point the ponies are already customized - they have already lost all that is original about them. For you to even consider buying one and stripping it down to re-customize it is just disrespectful. Someone put a lot of work into those. 

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
I thought I'd poke in and say my opinion, although it's probably already been said.

I don't think it was the best idea, since the ponies customized were rare, but maybe they just didn't care or somehow didn't know. Or maybe they were being a little ignorant, not doing their research before baiting, but at least the customs are kind of pretty, if anything. Hopefully, those customized Mountain Boys will go to good homes where they'll be loved. :)

I customize ponies, but I'm a beginner and I'll admit that most of my ponies are... not that great, and a lot of them so far are "learning experiences"... :yikes:   

So, most of my customs are either cheap fakies or G4s, stuff that's common all over the place. I have a few G3 ponies ready to be customized right now, but I made sure to ask before getting them ready. Because I would absolutely hate to take a perfectly good, rare, sought-after pony and turn it into a not-so-well-done custom! I try to do my best but my customs never end up looking as great as everyone else's, and I'd hate to take a wanted pony like a Mountain Boy and make it into yet another "learning experience"... that would be the worst. possible. thing!

So maybe it's not so good that this person customized those ponies, but at least the ponies weren't turned into something ugly, I think they look very pretty and are nicely done customs. :)
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »
Lol...and after all that I think we are actually both of the same opinion in the end.."its wrong to be hateful but not wrong to be upset"!! Cool...
hehe, yeah, I think we are.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »
I would not make a custom out of a MB, but I am not going to hate on someone who did. They look like customs with a specific plan in mind. Those where the baits that fit the mental image. So they used them. Mounain Boys are sought after, but they are not rare. On any given week, there is at least one MB auction. To me, they are in the same group as mimic....pricy but accessable. The design isn't my cup of tea, but I can admit the work is quality. I hope the seller gets a decent sale from them, and that they find loving homes.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
In all honestly, I am guessing that the seller is not a collector and had no idea of the rarity or value of the boys when they were customized. :(

I know people have made that mistake before, and it sucks but it does happen.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Customising has become so popular, and with such a huge influx of new FiM fans, people just don't think that anything could possibly be rare, they just see a pony and they want to make it "pretty" for some money.

It's infuriating, and really really sad, but eh, what are you gonna do? The damage has already been done :(
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal