collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 410903 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2280 on: April 29, 2021, 01:31:51 PM »
I think the direction MLP is going in is not going to make old school collectors or bronies happy. Tbh it almost feels like they are trying for a Paw Patrol/PJ Masks hit. Because after all those are big sellers with the target market despite the limited cast.
This would make sense. I skimmed through the annual report for Hasbro earlier and they keep saying that the MLP media stuff is in the hands of eOne now...who made PJ Masks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I wouldn't mind so much, personally. I like most kids cartoons.

That explains a lot.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2281 on: April 29, 2021, 03:14:59 PM »
TBH, I'm not so worried about "G5" (I still don't like that Hasbro decided they could call the generational change with our labelling system, so yeah) and what its format is. If it's repetitive and annoying then it is - so long as it is for the kids and appeals to the kids, because they're the audience. The thing about FIM was that it became too much about the older fans and that kind of invaded the kids' space. Those of us who grew up with G1 didn't have to deal with that...I want a generation that puts the kids first, even if I think it's lame.

TBH the pony franchise/concept was broken irreversably by G4, and it probably can't ever be fixed. Repetitive toys are now going to be the core of the line, decorated by a TV show. At least they appear to be willing to nix the M6, at least to a degree. And that's something.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 29, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »
TBH, I'm not so worried about "G5" (I still don't like that Hasbro decided they could call the generational change with our labelling system, so yeah) and what its format is. If it's repetitive and annoying then it is - so long as it is for the kids and appeals to the kids, because they're the audience. The thing about FIM was that it became too much about the older fans and that kind of invaded the kids' space. Those of us who grew up with G1 didn't have to deal with that...I want a generation that puts the kids first, even if I think it's lame.

TBH the pony franchise/concept was broken irreversably by G4, and it probably can't ever be fixed. Repetitive toys are now going to be the core of the line, decorated by a TV show. At least they appear to be willing to nix the M6, at least to a degree. And that's something.

I agree with much of this. Except I'll say that it's not so much that it can't be fixed, but more likely that they won't. Hopefully Hasbro will surprise people and let it have a good chunk of variety in their toy line,  and not stumble into the same pitfalls and ruts they've dug for themselves in 3.5 onward. It kinda galls me that little boys get better toylines, while little girls don't deserve squat in Hasbro's eyes. Out of touch old biddies.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 29, 2021, 11:24:40 PM »
I think the direction MLP is going in is not going to make old school collectors or bronies happy. Tbh it almost feels like they are trying for a Paw Patrol/PJ Masks hit. Because after all those are big sellers with the target market despite the limited cast.
This would make sense. I skimmed through the annual report for Hasbro earlier and they keep saying that the MLP media stuff is in the hands of eOne now...who made PJ Masks.

I wouldn't mind so much, personally. I like most kids cartoons.

The only negative is those kinda things often have a set cast of characters that constantly get trotted out in toy form.

I agree with much of this. Except I'll say that it's not so much that it can't be fixed, but more likely that they won't. Hopefully Hasbro will surprise people and let it have a good chunk of variety in their toy line,  and not stumble into the same pitfalls and ruts they've dug for themselves in 3.5 onward. It kinda galls me that little boys get better toylines, while little girls don't deserve squat in Hasbro's eyes. Out of touch old biddies.

Eh it seems typical for little kid things. Even their Rescue Bots have a much smaller cast than the actual Transformers franchise. I noticed a lot of people who had G1 had ponies for a lot longer. They had to keep the variety up because otherwise kids would get bored. But something happened where kids started losing interest in toys at a much younger age. Since kids were losing interest in toys in general anyways they no longer needed a huge variety to keep them interested when they are just going to ditch them anyways.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 30, 2021, 12:41:44 AM »
I'd say that's true of G1 and the longevity. It was very much pitched on the collect them all model..."be a my little pony mummy" or "collect them all and step into the wonderful world of my little pony", etc. And even though the comics moved on with new characters as ponies were released, they still pulled out old regulars and old stories from time to time.

I am not sure if I am unusual, having my first pony just before I turned 3 and putting them away in the attic when I was eleven. That may be an especially long run. But I certainly think that a lot of kids played with them for five or six years together. Kind of unheard of with G4 and probably G5.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 30, 2021, 05:30:25 AM »
I am not sure if I am unusual, having my first pony just before I turned 3 and putting them away in the attic when I was eleven.
I think that's totally normal, at least it was where I grew up/with my friends. I would say the WAY we played with them changed as we got older, though.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2286 on: April 30, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Good point, Wardah. Some kids are entering collectors spaces sooner thanks to the internet. You see this in Webkinz and Littlest Pet Shop communities especially. Other kids will simply drop toys in favor for other entertainment methods that still allow for imaginative play, like Minecraft, Roblox, or other online roleplaying outlets.

I think eleven is around when I fell off playing with toys, but I would play with my younger siblings, so I played a bit later than most people. And then I just moved on to Minecraft, so, imaginative stuff never really stopped for me.

Oh, another opinion? Um, I guess that I like Pipp's wings is an unpopular opinion.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 30, 2021, 07:48:45 AM »
Well I... never stopped playing. I suppose as I grew older it was more about building the world & collecting than actual play like a six year old, but I loved my old Ponies into my 20s (& it only stopped there because bad things began happening)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 30, 2021, 08:21:19 AM »
I am not sure if I am unusual, having my first pony just before I turned 3 and putting them away in the attic when I was eleven.
I think that's totally normal, at least it was where I grew up/with my friends. I would say the WAY we played with them changed as we got older, though.

I also had a younger sister who's almost 6 years younger, and so I would play with her as well. But yes, that's also true. And I wrote more stories about them as I got older, too. I wrote a lot about them when I was eight or nine, and my sister likes to tease me about a surviving 'newspaper' I wrote with an article 'by Starflash' in it.

My stopping coincided with secondary school. In part because one of the only 2 people to go to my secondary school from my primary was a nasty person and would spread around that I played with ponies in primary school like it was a bad thing. So I put mine away, but still played with Naynie and hers until deciding to get them down again in summer 94. And discovering with horror that they'd stopped making them.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2289 on: April 30, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »
Well I... never stopped playing. I suppose as I grew older it was more about building the world & collecting than actual play like a six year old, but I loved my old Ponies into my 20s (& it only stopped there because bad things began happening)

Same. I was given a friends ponies when I was around 13. They had to go on at least one adventure with my ponies :lol: Now I consider fixing hair or setting up playsets (like my G1 LPS) as "playing". Just making them look nice and admiring them, taking pictures, etc. I DO talk to my toys though (well, and some other inanimate objects, like my PC). "Oh, your hair is so pretty today." "I think you'd look better here." "Just gonna give you a brush." Things like that :P I think that's normal though - right?

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: April 30, 2021, 08:49:00 AM »
This may be unpopular, I really don't know, but I don't like long hair on ponies.  I much prefer the shorter mane length that was on the G1 Collector's set, as opposed to the longer hair that was on ponies like the flutter ponies.  This doesn't necessarily apply to customs, just to original MLPs.  Probably due to how I played with them as a kid...long hair would get in the way, and curly hair would be a pain to deal with. 

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: April 30, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »
Idk if this is unpopular or not, but I just realised that I don't actually much like the G1 pony "Pillow Talk". I dislike her pose and her colours/symbol don't relaly grab me either. I do have her, though, so I'm not sure what I was thinking...  :lol:

Anyone else have ponies they've spent money on that they later realise they don't care for that much?
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: April 30, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
Idk if this is unpopular or not, but I just realised that I don't actually much like the G1 pony "Pillow Talk". I dislike her pose and her colours/symbol don't relaly grab me either. I do have her, though, so I'm not sure what I was thinking...  :lol:

Anyone else have ponies they've spent money on that they later realise they don't care for that much?

I don't like Pillow Talk either. Not her colors, or her weird TAF symbol.

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: April 30, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »

I haven't had that problem yet but I could see it happening...

If she's in good condition please feel free to sell her to me, she's a big want for me  :lol:

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: April 30, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »

I haven't had that problem yet but I could see it happening...

If she's in good condition please feel free to sell her to me, she's a big want for me  :lol:
[/quote]

I might actually do that! It will leave a space for another pony in my collection and it would be great to be able to help out a fellow Arena member at the same time. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss it  :)
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal