collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Working on a rather odd custom, hairstyling advice?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Working on a rather odd custom, hairstyling advice?
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey guys! I'm working on a rather odd custom right now.

Its a character from Don't Starve by the name of Willow, this is what she looks like:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You can see she has these weird pigtails. Do you guys have any advice as how I might be able to style the ponies hair to be like this? And also how to do the bangs possibly.

She's still being painted and I haven't even started re-hairing her yet.

Any tips welcome, thanks you guys! xo
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a rather odd custom, hairstyling advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
As for the bangs, I'd boil them. I'd roll the pigtails on something angular and boil them as well.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »
Pigtails are always going to be tricky because the pony's hair doesn't usually sit on both sides.  You could try >2 rows of hair then zigzagging between the rows to divide the hair in two thus avoiding a furrow-like parting. The pigtails could have wire in them to make them stand up like that.

I saw some FS G4 customs with big loops of hair sewn into a the shape of bangs or 'a fringe' as we say in the UK. No loose ends therefore no problem with how it lies, it's effectively tied down into a shape. Maybe you could do this with jagged edges at the front using multiple skeins. Or, I just put "FS G4 custom bangs" into google and clicked on the first deviant art stream that came up. Lots of ideas there. Hope to see how it turns out!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
For the bangs, I might use Elmer's glue (very tiny amounts at a time) like hair gel. For the shape of the top of the hair, I might not boil the top of the head's hair. I once did pigtails without boiling, and the hair formed a natural body that had a similar shape. I'm not sure how to get those iconic-ly shaped angle pieces of the pigtails, but they look somewhat similar to the pigtailed pony I didn't boil. (I just washed the hair with conditioner, split the hair down the middle and tied it off with hair ties, and then let her dry as the tips rested on a flat surface, curling naturally.)

Here's a quick webcam shot how she ended up;

[img width= height=]http://i62.tinypic.com/214s55z.jpg[/img]

Not quite the same, but perhaps with some experimentation it could work for you.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal