collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions about japanese takara ponies  (Read 1899 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Questions about japanese takara ponies
« on: November 14, 2023, 05:59:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

Recently, takara ponies have caught my eye. I realised I hardly know anything about them.

How many are there? And why are they so hard to find? What prices do they usually go for?

What's up with the babies and their fakies?

Are there any specific things I should know about?

Any info is welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Luke
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Questions about japanese takara ponies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 07:18:15 AM »
How many are there? Not many!

Why are they so hard to find? They were only made and sold in Japan for 12 months. The licence to make MLP was bought by Takara (Japanese toy company)

What prices do they usually go for? $800 plus for an adult Takara (depending on condition and which Takara it is)

What's up with the babies and their fakies? There were just two Babies Lily and Popo, but there are plenty of fakies of the babies.

Are there any specific things I should know about? They have tails! I honestly did not know this until some one posted a back view picture of one! They have lots of different fashion sets.

Any info is welcome :) https://pinkkittywinks.wixsite.com/mlparenagallery/japan

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 08:14:31 AM »

Why are they so hard to find? They were only made and sold in Japan for 12 months. The licence to make MLP was bought by Takara (Japanese toy company)

What prices do they usually go for? $800 plus for an adult Takara (depending on condition and which Takara it is)

What's up with the babies and their fakies? There were just two Babies Lily and Popo, but there are plenty of fakies of the babies.

Are there any specific things I should know about? They have tails! I honestly did not know this until some one posted a back view picture of one! They have lots of different fashion sets.

Love pkw xxx

Thank you so much for sharing. I have milky (yellow body/pink hair) on my wishlist. Is she harder to find?
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 05:10:32 PM »
I own Milky :heart: I would say she is one of the more "common" Takaras, along with Pinky :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 03:38:51 AM »
I own Milky :heart: I would say she is one of the more "common" Takaras, along with Pinky :)

Love pkw xxx
[/quote

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear that :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline purple_alice

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 08:49:43 PM »

Love pkw xxx

The last adult Takara I was aware of being sold, the price it went for, it was $2400, and had multiple people wanting to buy it. Prices for rare Nirvanas have blown up recently. I would love to buy one, buy haven't been right place right time yet
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 02:53:28 AM »
Hi Luke,

Pinkkittywinks already got your covered with most of the knowledge. You find a lot of information on their own wiki page http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Japan as well as very well updated on https://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/mylittlepony-takara.php It's worth to check both out to get completely covered on the characters.

Adults:

Pinky - short hair /  - long hair/ - long reddish hair
Milky - short hair/ - long hair / - long reddish hair

Fuwa Fuwa
Sara Sara
Ami Ami
Kuru Kuru

Babies:

Lily and Popo

They were sold in 1985 only.
"In May 1984 Takara Tomy licenses its transforming robot toys to Hasbro, which releases them as Transformers in the United States, and
they became a major hit." (Excerpt from the Takara Tomy Brochure). In return, Takara Tomy receives the license for My little Pony from Hasbro.

My interpretation why there were only so few ponies sold in Japan:
All ponies at this time had a typical horse posture. Being on 4 legs with a brushable mane and tail.
Takara Tomy designed them in a standing - human-like posture similar to Sanrio's Hello Kitty figures (being invented in 1974). They are on two legs as well.
They had their Dress Up House = beauty salon (was released), a Pony Style House = living house (was not released) and a Dream Capsule = Wardrobe? (not released). I guess these buildings were to be released later in this century in case the ponies would sell more.

Their prices fluctuate a lot depending on supply and demand. The most common ones are Pinky and Milky with short hair. The most expensive ones are the "unusual colored" ones Fuwa Fuwa, Sara Sara, Kuru Kuru and Ami Ami, which seemed to have lower demand. The babies tend to be not common anymore as well. And Japanese people tend to throw away old toys rather than keeping them for their children or grandchildren.

Unless a lot of regular ponies being rooted with Nylon hair during this time - Takaras have a Saran-like hair, which was used for dolls at this time as well. It is kind of greasy and doesn't hold styles too well.

MIP Takaras age incredibly bad. Most of the girls featured cute hair stylings tied with rubber bands. Almost all of them disintegrated into the hair already, leaving brown stains on the hair, which is very to almost non-removable. That is why collectors tend to unbox them. I have mine unboxed as well (got 2 of them MIP).

In addition to the ponies, a badge as well as a fabric hankerchief was released featuring Pinky and Milky in SD format (or Lily and Popo). Both from 1985 as well.

There have been some advertisements/ comics on these ponies in the girls' magazine "Yayoi" (hope this name is correct). But these are very rare and are usually not able to be found online. The magazines are expensive as well (I paid 70€ on each of them).

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 03:01:46 AM »
Hi Luke,

Pinkkittywinks already got your covered with most of the knowledge. You find a lot of information on their own wiki page http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Japan as well as very well updated on https://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/mylittlepony-takara.php It's worth to check both out to get completely covered on the characters.

Adults:

Pinky - short hair /  - long hair/ - long reddish hair
Milky - short hair/ - long hair / - long reddish hair

Fuwa Fuwa
Sara Sara
Ami Ami
Kuru Kuru

Babies:

Lily and Popo

They were sold in 1985 only.
"In May 1984 Takara Tomy licenses its transforming robot toys to Hasbro, which releases them as Transformers in the United States, and
they became a major hit." (Excerpt from the Takara Tomy Brochure). In return, Takara Tomy receives the license for My little Pony from Hasbro.

My interpretation why there were only so few ponies sold in Japan:
All ponies at this time had a typical horse posture. Being on 4 legs with a brushable mane and tail.
Takara Tomy designed them in a standing - human-like posture similar to Sanrio's Hello Kitty figures (being invented in 1974). They are on two legs as well.
They had their Dress Up House = beauty salon (was released), a Pony Style House = living house (was not released) and a Dream Capsule = Wardrobe? (not released). I guess these buildings were to be released later in this century in case the ponies would sell more.

Their prices fluctuate a lot depending on supply and demand. The most common ones are Pinky and Milky with short hair. The most expensive ones are the "unusual colored" ones Fuwa Fuwa, Sara Sara, Kuru Kuru and Ami Ami, which seemed to have lower demand. The babies tend to be not common anymore as well. And Japanese people tend to throw away old toys rather than keeping them for their children or grandchildren.

Unless a lot of regular ponies being rooted with Nylon hair during this time - Takaras have a Saran-like hair, which was used for dolls at this time as well. It is kind of greasy and doesn't hold styles too well.

MIP Takaras age incredibly bad. Most of the girls featured cute hair stylings tied with rubber bands. Almost all of them disintegrated into the hair already, leaving brown stains on the hair, which is very to almost non-removable. That is why collectors tend to unbox them. I have mine unboxed as well (got 2 of them MIP).

In addition to the ponies, a badge as well as a fabric hankerchief was released featuring Pinky and Milky in SD format (or Lily and Popo). Both from 1985 as well.

There have been some advertisements/ comics on these ponies in the girls' magazine "Yayoi" (hope this name is correct). But these are very rare and are usually not able to be found online. The magazines are expensive as well (I paid 70€ on each of them).

Hello,

Thank you so much for the info! Such a treasure trove of information :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline NarnieNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 02:25:35 AM »
These are my Takara Babies - recently unearthed from my childhood collection. 

(I hope this link works... not sure how to share photos here) fixed - thanks for telling me how!

They were bought for me in Japan by my parents when they were over there for business. 

If there is any information I can give you about their appearance, etc, I'm happy to do so.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:24:52 PM by NarnieNZ »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 08:22:50 AM »
The link works :) To post it directly on here you'd just need to put

Code: [Select]
[img][/img]
tags around the URL.

They're beautiful, thanks for sharing! I don't think I've ever seen a collector with the pram before :O

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 11:08:52 AM »
so cute!  <3
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal