collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 630
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: 3D Printer?  (Read 527 times)

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
3D Printer?
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:27:47 AM »
So Does anyone Know much about these or used one? Im wondering if these collectable pony items can be remade?
Ive heard the FBI is not so fond of this printer because guns are being made that can fire off real bullets More than they thought possible. And these printers are expensive, but I wonder if anything can be made that is hard plastic or even softer plastics? 
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: 3D Printer?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »
We have several threads about these but I don't really know much about them. Hopefully someone will come along with answers or maybe you can find them in the older threads. Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
Do a search, hun, theres a few threads on this already :)  Ive used Shapeways before, which lets you create something then have it made using a 3D printer..that was interesting :)  If you arent preturbed by being nailed by customs, it might be worth looking in to--they are very professional from what I remember.

I ...idnt realize people were using them for purposes not intending..thats a bit scary :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
Do a search, hun, theres a few threads on this already :)  Ive used Shapeways before, which lets you create something then have it made using a 3D printer..that was interesting :)  If you arent preturbed by being nailed by customs, it might be worth looking in to--they are very professional from what I remember.

I ...idnt realize people were using them for purposes not intending..thats a bit scary :(
It is scary! It makes you wonder what this world is coming to. :(

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
My University got a couple near the end of the Spring Trimester. They will have classes on how to use it for the Graphic Design students.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:00:54 AM »
My town's public library just got one.  I have some 3D modeling skills.  I want to try it out.  :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
My town's public library just got one.  I have some 3D modeling skills.  I want to try it out.  :)
What do you want to try and make? Show us when you do get a chance to make something with your skills.  :)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:02 AM »
You can do some cool things with a 3-d printer. I wrote for a company that is making one. You can make things on plastic and wood. 

http://www.mlparena.com/projects/1650950769/rigidbot-3d-printer
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
So Does anyone Know much about these or used one? Im wondering if these collectable pony items can be remade?
Ive heard the FBI is not so fond of this printer because guns are being made that can fire off real bullets More than they thought possible. And these printers are expensive, but I wonder if anything can be made that is hard plastic or even softer plastics? 

if you check out shapeways, they can do anything from flexible to hard plastics, as well as ceramics and several types of metal.
I've not used their service myself yet, but some of my friends have and the results can be really nice.

As for guns, wow, I've never heard of that one. However, there's still a sort of roughness to anything printed with a 3d-printer.
I'm not sure a gun made from printed parts would work very well currently, but I see why it could be a risk.
Given though, right now it's likely also more expensive to 3d print a metal gun (plastic isn't going to cut it is it?), than actually just buy one.

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »

if you check out shapeways, they can do anything from flexible to hard plastics, as well as ceramics and several types of metal.
I've not used their service myself yet, but some of my friends have and the results can be really nice.

As for guns, wow, I've never heard of that one. However, there's still a sort of roughness to anything printed with a 3d-printer.
I'm not sure a gun made from printed parts would work very well currently, but I see why it could be a risk.
Given though, right now it's likely also more expensive to 3d print a metal gun (plastic isn't going to cut it is it?), than actually just buy one.
The issue with the guns is: Its plastic so it can go through metal dectors unnoticed (that wouldnt be good for fedral bluildings, courts, ect.). The guns cant be traced because they have no #s on them. Some are being made to shot off 600 rounds in seconds flat. The draw prints are all over online. Also theres issues with People making handcuff keys that work! A guy seen a picture of a key online and blew it up did some math and made one that worked! He put in online and now cops are having to deal with that all over the world. Please excuse my spelling.
But on the other hand I would love to have some brothers items like those frog combs that are so hard to find, maybe some big brother pony molds that I can paint on without feeling bad.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »
Yeah, id try shapeways, hun.  If you can figure out the program or get someone to draw it up for you, they can print it out <3

As far as keys go, last I heard they were using a special kind of ziptie for handcuffs..so keys are now obsolete for the mostpart <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
The issue with the guns is: Its plastic so it can go through metal dectors unnoticed (that wouldnt be good for fedral bluildings, courts, ect.). The guns cant be traced because they have no #s on them. Some are being made to shot off 600 rounds in seconds flat. The draw prints are all over online. Also theres issues with People making handcuff keys that work! A guy seen a picture of a key online and blew it up did some math and made one that worked! He put in online and now cops are having to deal with that all over the world. Please excuse my spelling.
But on the other hand I would love to have some brothers items like those frog combs that are so hard to find, maybe some big brother pony molds that I can paint on without feeling bad.

Wouldn't that be more of a bb-gun? I was kind of thinking of full metal rifles.
Still something to be very, very careful with though, I agree.
In general I guess the 3d printing companies are going to have to be careful about which orders they approve.
Figures, give people something awesome and someone will manage to be an idiot with it, or find illegal uses. -.-

On the brighter side, if you can make a model of those combs you can print them. That's the magic of 3d printing. ^^
You do have to be careful with copyright though. I don't think Hasbro would mind you making a comb or two, but I'm not sure how they'd feel on full big brother ponies. On the other hand, you can design your very own pony molds if you want, instead of copying the hasbro ones inch for inch.

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
Thats so true with copy rights. Never put to much thought in to it. As far as the guns they were making semi automatic rifiles & bombs. Scary stuff!!  :cry:

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Yes, I know about one. We have on at the technology department at school, and I used it to make a 3D orange segment which I made as a USB stick holder (our year 8 project). They're incredibly useful, and extremely efficient, but I don't recommend owning one for personal use. It's not worth your time, money or space! Definitely one to use in an office that uses them for production or in a school. Best place for them, they're huge!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
I think it's funny people are freaking over the idea a 3D printer can make a gun. Sure it can make it, but it *might* only fire a single shot. There's too much force, heat, and pressure when a bullet is fired, it's more likely to blow apart in your hand. At the most it would be single use (meaning you might get one shot off, but the 2nd would definitely destroy the gun). Not worth the cost and effort to construct.  ...and you can't exactly make plastic bullets, that wouldn't work to work to well either lol. As for taking it through airplanes, yes, plastic would bypass the metal detector, but it would still stick out in Xray, and the scanner would detect the gun powder and shell so... not exactly a real threat. For the cost of equipment you could by plenty of real guns and real ammunition at any gun store.

Anywho, I haven't seen a 3D printer in person, but there's a person on DA who makes custom 3D printed ponies, and they look amazing! I've been tempted to commission em for one lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal