collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: any quilters?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
any quilters?
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
im procrastinating on my latest project, a burgandy and cream crusader's cross quilt for my bestie, just have one final seam on the border then onto the rack with it. im not really sure what i want to say or ask on the topic, im just bored and mindlessly rambling. =P

i want to finish this one so i can start working on another lol i have too many ideas backlogging in my mind and need to clear my plate. next will prolly be one for the bf of the wizard from final fantasy 1, and the stitchwork im thinking of doing the world map as soon as i research what it looks like (i myself have only played FF7-9, so that idea may get scrapped as soon as i see it)

but the one i WANT to work on next will be one for me (finally. lol all the quilts ive done have been for other people) which i have dubbed the 'insanity' quilt. itll be all 1" squares, handsewn (like all my projects.) prolly a ballpark of 5.5-6' square, and the top will be a pixulated image of Ringlets, the Rainbow Curl pegasus. ive already mapped out my diagram, just need to get the cloth and work on it. (not entirely sure why i chose ringlets, sure i love that pony, but my favorite will always be Fizzy, Lofty, and Masquerade... ill prolly make one of them later.)

ooh! opinion!

i was debating what id do for the backsheet on it, i had a few simple ideas that i was mulling over, but then had an epiphany... but the collector in me balks at the idea as the artist in me is giggling... what do you think of using a real vintage MLP bedsheet? i think it would look fantastic, but im torn, cause id have to cut and sew something that belongs on my shelves. suuure i already have a bedsheet like that so the one id use would be one id buy specifically for this purpose... but still.

ill stop now cause im rambling lol

***Elu

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: any quilters?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
I don't quilt but id love to see pics when you are done. I think the sheet idea could be neat!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Quilting intrigues me but I've never tried it (not much for sewing). I love seeing what people create!
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Eluluu

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
ill post pics of the crusader quilt when i can... it turned out bigger than i was expecting... i think its about 6.5' square! but since its for my gorilla friend and hes 6'1 or 6'3 its not toooo terrible. ill just tell him to get a kingsize bed so it doesnt look silly. =P he keeps threatening to submit pics of it to random quilting magazines.

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
OH!! I'm a quilter too!!

I feel you about the brain back up...I usually pop into the fabric store 2 or 3 times a week, and every time I go, I see something else that starts up a new project in my noggin. I've made everyone in my family a quilt, and I'm half started on one for myself. Problem is, I get going on a new quilt and then I'll get bored with it..My quilt is half done in my fabric box, and I'm elbow deep in re-hairing all my old girls. I've seriously got a composition book FULL of all the projects that I want to do.

I would TOTALLY go for the MLP backsheet! I love the idea of a MLP quilt too...I might have to add that to my notebook too!!

Offline Eluluu

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
yeah i keep dragging my feet on the crusader quilt... but theres good reasons why lol. A) i do all my sewing/quilting by hand. no machines for me, thats just how i roll lol
and B) this is the SECOND time ive done this particular one... ugh i finished the topsheet and the backsheet and was getting ready to go get the batting i need when my mom leaves me a message saying to wash the topsheet first so all the reds wont bleed. i think to myself, 'hmm moms a quilter, and sos dad, so she might know what shes talking about...' so into the wash it went... and when i got back from Hobby Lobby with a couple rolls of batting i open it up to check it for bleeding and immediately had a nervous breakdown...

ALL of the seams had frayed away. were talking COMPLETELY ruined... no chance of salvageing it cause id have to resew everything and itd all be at least half an inch shy on every seam.

so i set it aside for about half a year. i was so broken. kinda funny at the same time tho cause the day it exploded was on my friends birthday, so of course i felt even WORSE that id ruined his ex Bday/christmas/everything else for the year gift...

a few projects later (mostly composed of hand feathering a cloak to make it look like folded wings... ugh nightmare but fun. have i mentioned i worry about my sanity?) i pick it up again, redesign the crusader cross to make it look more detailed/easier to put together than the original pixulated pattern i did, and off to the fabric store to drown my remembered sorrows with pretty colors.

and now im stalling again lol one long seam on the border of the topsheet to go and im stalling. =P well, sorta... i took the time to figure out how im gonna actually quilt it, so i just have to fiddle with making my own stencils and blowing them up to the sizes ill need. settled on a mix of feathered cables, diamond cables, roses, rosebuds, and rose petals. filler is just gonna be a grid on point.

ill eventually put up pics for those of you who are more visual, i know typed descriptions usually result in a whole lotta 'huh?'

***Elu

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
I just got into quilting, but your plans sound awesome!  I'd love to see it when it's done.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

MoongazerThePony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
My grandma, my mom, but NOT me. I can't even thread a needle, and I destroyed the sewing machine  :blush: :blush:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
As soon as I get some freakin' mending done!  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal