collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Generation 1 My Little Pony So Hated?  (Read 5981 times)

Offline chaosprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Why is Generation 1 My Little Pony So Hated?
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
I know a lot of people love generation 1, but it seems like a lot of people down generation 1 saying the shows and movies were really bad and that the designs were bad as well the hatred for it only came around when generation 4 came out why the hate on generation 1? I can see generation 3 and 3.5 due to nothing really happens and well they are scary beyond belief in 3.5, but generation 1 is where all began I know there was my pretty pony, but generation wise 1 is where it all began I know a lot of fans of generation 4 have a dislike for it and I can't figure out why sure not all the episodes were amazing, but they only had so much to work with back then and to me it was amazing and without generation 1 there would never be a generation 4 and a lot of characters in generation 4 are actually ponies from generation 1 and 3 now I am not saying everybody hates generation 1, but I noticed with a lot of videos that I watched and things that I read generation 1 seems to be downed some people may disagree, but that's life nobody is going to agree on everything, but I also know there is a lot of fans of generation 1 as well, but generation 1 will always be a favorite of mine the twinkle eye ponies being my favorite let's love all generations for their uniqueness. =)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Generation 1 My Little Pony So Hated?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
G1 doesn't get as much flak, not even from the... more toxic side of the fanbase. Part of it is due to it being partial inspiration to Lauren Faust and/or dark and deadly as per every 80s show. Most people I've seen spitting on it clearly have seen none of it and mix it up with G3 (which also was not bad one bit).

I'd pay no heed to them.

As for everyone else, I guess they are having their reasons...

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »
The only thing G1 seems to be hated for is the animation quality of the cartoon series, which tbh is pretty bad as the general animation standards back when it was made were not very high. People today are spoiled by the higher quality standards in current animation. But that's really only a problem with people who are cartoon fans foremost and not toy collectors first. People who adopt a toy first mentality tend to prefer G1 as it generally has more variety and better quality than the current toy line.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
Its not. Its one of the most popular gens.  The vast majority of people who spew vitriol at it, are just band- wagoners who think its cool to do so without having seen any of it. There are some who legitimately find it boring.

I think its animation is gorgeous and detailed. Much better then the flat, cookie cutter, animation that's G4 and every cartoon like it. I'd like to see those people handdraw 60+ episodes and a movie for most of the cartoons back then for every week.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:11:45 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »
I know its not hated by everybody and there is a lot of fans of generation 1, but the fans of it seem to be the ones who grew up with it I know generation 1 went more towards girls unlike generation 4 which both genders seem to enjoy, but I agree people who hate on it probably have not seen it I must say My Little Pony Tales seems to be the most forgotten of generation 1 which I really liked My Little Pony Tales I know it focuses more on the ponies life instead of adventures, but the characters were memorable to me and your right the style may not be computerized like generation 4,but they put more time and love into drawing out each cell for every episode and movie and the music plus the voice acting may seem undesirable, but it shows how original it was and how much work was really put into the show, movies and toys. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:28:43 AM by chaosprincess »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
There are plenty of newer fans as well. Kids who are growing up with it because a relative did and are sharing there toys and showing them DVDs. FiM fans who decided to take a whack at it and found the cartoon good and the toyline amazing.

Its not Only old fans.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »
It's not really hated by the general public.  Most are ambivalent and quite a few are nostalgic for at least the toys.  The cartoon has been the subject of a few jokes, but most just consider it another cartoon from the 80's.

The outright hatred for G1 seemed to come when the brony craze hit.  Bronies had and really still have an insecurity with their masculinity because they've become enamored with a show meant for little girls.  Their reaction is to say "they're" version of My Little Pony is better and everything that came before needs to be loudly and publically devalued.  The brony documentary itself started with an unprovoked swipe at the entire history of My Little Pony while stroking both the current series and the brony community.

They figured insults thrown at G3 would write themselves with its media presence only being a collection of specials and one-hour movies with weak conflicts and "bland" characters.

G1, on the other hand, had a storied history.  It was the generation that made My Little Pony.  It had to be thrown in the mud and rubbed into it.  They twisted Faust's words to attack the series (which she said she didn't even watch) and attack the look of the toys and media appearance of the ponies themselves ("These ponies are fat and ugly.")  It was probably at its worst going into Season 2 when the brony population exploded.

Things have died down.  Many bronies have come to appreciate the older generations (though some are still loudly insulting it).  The popularity of FiM has also brought in people who were fans at one point and the curious.  Even the cartoon series has been seeing a rise of a decent cult following.  There are still haters, but I wouldn't say there is widespread hatred of G1 My Little Pony, certainly not like in '11 and '12.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:09:27 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
Everyone has a right to their opinion but sometimes it is just best to ignore the negative nellies. If you read to the forums here you'll notice that there are just as many people who love the G1 animations (and even enjoy spotting the funny errors!) as there are people who might not enjoy it that much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »
I know that nobody hates generation 1 on this site and I know there is still a lot of fans, but it is true the bronies are the haters of it and it does not bother me at all if people dislike the show I was just curious which is why I posted this topic due to I have seen a lot of bronies and other people watch the older my little pony and completely hated it so it sparked my curiosity on why when all the ponies from generation 4 are nothing more then generation 1,2 and 3 ponies just in a different style and personality that's all I am sorry if this topic made anybody angry or anything like that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
I know that nobody hates generation 1 on this site and I know there is still a lot of fans, but it is true the bronies are the haters of it and it does not bother me at all if people dislike the show I was just curious which is why I posted this topic due to I have seen a lot of bronies and other people watch the older my little pony and completely hated it so it sparked my curiosity on why when all the ponies from generation 4 are nothing more then generation 1,2 and 3 ponies just in a different style and personality that's all I am sorry if this topic made anybody angry or anything like that.

There are fans of older gens on MLPTP, Deviantart, mlpforums etc. etc.

RainbowQuartz

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
I ONLY like G1 and haven't seen anyone hate on it, personally. My kids love G4 and G1, probably because Mommy loves G1 and G4 is current while they're growing up so they auto love it.

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
I understand there is lot's of fans of generation 1 I have just come across a lot of people that don't like it maybe I was better off not making this thread so sorry for my curiosity on why some people don't like it sorry I was not trying to offend anybody by making it I was just curious because I have come across some people that don't like generation 1 and I have seen a lot of people say negative things about it so I was just curiosity as to why, but I do know there is fans of generation 1.

RainbowQuartz

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
I don't think anyone was offended, it's okay! You probably would be better asking this somewhere where you've seen hate for it. You don't see that here. :) There is nothing wrong with asking questions, though.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
The big disconnect between the fans who only like FIM and the general  MLP collecting community is that FIM fans are all about the show, and collectors are all about the toys.  FIM fans tend to focus on the shows, and judge every generation by their shows, not anything else.  The toys aren't the focus - they're merchandise there to support the love of the show like tshirts or posters.  That's why "screen accurate hair" seems to be such a big thing - they want the ponies to be *as* close to what they see on the tv as possible.   It's not about the toys on their own, it's about how the toys support the show fandom.

Collectors may or may not like the shows. They may or may not have even seen them.  Their primary focus is on the toys.  For myself, the show is just a glorified toy commercial.  It was made to sell toys, and it doesn't factor in to how I feel about the generation as whole.  Even if the shows are terrible, it doesn't affect the ponies.  I can think the G3 cartoons are cringe-worthy with stupid plots and terrible musical numbers, but I can still love the ponies for what they are - really great toys.  Hating the toys because of the show would be as silly to me as hating them because I thought the commercials for it were bad. 

Since FIM fans are most interested in the show, and many consider the ponies to be just "merchandise" instead of the focus of the whole thing, they tend to judge an entire generation on the quality of the show attached to it more than anything else.  MLP was an 80s cartoon with all the flaws that come with it, so it's not surprising that they'll hate the entire generation.   It's not about the toys so much as the show, and the show can come up wanting at times.  Most 80s cartoons were cheaply made to sell toys, and sometimes it shows.

And that's where all the past generation hate starts -  the cartoons.  It then snowballs from there as more people join in, and find new things to complain about.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:27:31 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 01:24:21 PM »
I 100% agree I never meant to sound rude with that what I said so I do apologize I do know there is a huge fandom for generation 1, but since generation 4 came out it seems generation 1 just became the fat ponies, but they were meant to look like real ponies and I also understand that there is a lot of people that love it new and old, but generation 4 has taken over, but the older generations are in fact coming back and being loved so I was just simply curious on why something that is based around older gens become the target, but some of you have put in a great way on why all generations should be loved and admired for their own uniqueness, but before all that My Pretty Pony is the true starter to my little pony let's love the old and the new my little pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal