collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PQOTD #14 12/31/16 What is your opinion on customizing g1's?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
Re: PQOTD #14 12/31/16 What is your opinion on customizing g1's?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
This is something I've been pretty back and forth on. I love seeing restored G1's, but no matter how pretty the custom, my heart breaks a little when I see a G1 custom. I wonder who she was and if some collector out there missed out on her (or him). With pony cancer from plastic degredation and G1's not being made anymore, there will be fewer and fewer.

But then, some customs are just so beautiful and perhaps the pony was unsalvagable, and yet... if it could be made into a custom, it should be able to be restored, right?

Other posters do have a point though, people don't necessarily buy restores. They want originals, plus, I've often played with the idea of making a G1 ponysona...

So back and forth!  :blink: anyway, I'm undecided.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »
I guess what I am trying to say is practise on common G4s or fakies until you are confident that the pony won't be ruined, use the best quality hair and acrylic paints that you can afford, practise your re-root techniques and plug-sizing, take your time and make a masterpiece!

Yesss, this!! I don't want to sound snobbish/elitist/rude/whatever word you want to use, but I've seen a few G1 customs (not on here!) that were a bit... poorly done; I def. think that G1 customs should be something to work up to + not for first-time customizers! ^^;

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

[/quote]

aaaaa, she's gorgeous!!!

Offline NigheanRuadh

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Pony rescuer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
I'm in favor of restoring, if possible.  That said, I've seen some absolutely stunning customs, and if they came from truly baity ponies, I can see how they are actually doing the pony a favor.  I have done one custom restoration of a Star Hopper who had been sliced and pen-stabbed.  Since it was going to be obvious that she was not original, I did an alternate rehair (her original hair was in poor condition), and I do like her better now than I like the original pony.

(Apologies to those who might have seen her too many times now...)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
I'm in favor of restoring, if possible.  That said, I've seen some absolutely stunning customs, and if they came from truly baity ponies, I can see how they are actually doing the pony a favor.  I have done one custom restoration of a Star Hopper who had been sliced and pen-stabbed.  Since it was going to be obvious that she was not original, I did an alternate rehair (her original hair was in poor condition), and I do like her better now than I like the original pony.

(Apologies to those who might have seen her too many times now...)

I couldn't see that beautiful pony too many times! Lovely restoration

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
I think if it's g1, and beyond restore, it's okay to customize it. But if it just needs new hair or a bath, why not just restore it to the former glory it once had? And if you are going to customize the pony, make sure that you have had practice, and it won't be a dogs breakfast. Nobody wants  to see a glorious g1 with paint splotches on it.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »
I'm fine with making G1 customs as long as the pony is actually damaged in some way (and is preferably a very common pony). For instance, if you're going to be rehairing the pony whether you choose to restore or customize, you might as well have some fun with that.
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »
I have no issue with it so long as they are in bad shape to begin with.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »

Superb! This is the kind of thing that I mean  :thumb:

ETA: also  :heart: :heart: :heart: that gorgeous restore by Vettefromm!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:59:31 PM by glitterball »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »
I might catch some flak for this, but . . . I wish people would do more recycling of already-baited ponies.  Some customs are fantastic, some aren't.  So why not buy a not-so-great one off eBay and recustomize a pre-existing custom?  Or, if you've had a custom for a year or two and don't want her anymore, why not strip off the paint and turn her into a new pony instead of selling her on eBay?

One aspect of customizing G1s that makes me uncomfortable is how often it's put into monetary terms, i.e. "Well, I couldn't sell her for $2, so I customized her."  IMO that is not a good reason to customize an otherwise okay pony, not even a Peachy.  Like, dang, these toys are not going to last forever and there are a finite number of them--even Peachy and Cotton Candy.  ;)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
I agree with Lady Moondancer about re-baiting ponies. My poofy alt re-hairs were rescued alt re-hairs, Dancing Butterflies and Flower Pony Bluebell. They were re haired in a really odd set of colours and not with original hair. They also had a lot of broken plugs so it would be hard to re hair them to look original. I'm happy just to have them as fun poofy alt re-hairs because the volume of the yarn hides the split plugs and they look cool. If someone is desperate to try later they can. I don't believe in damaging ponies and further so I'm very careful when buying baits.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:09:26 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal