collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some questions about Tex and Barnacle  (Read 448 times)

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
Some questions about Tex and Barnacle
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
I haven't checked in here in a while, I'm sorry about that.  :blush:
I'm hoping some of you won't mind answering a few questions for me.

I've picked up my first boys. Tex and Barnacle.
I'd promised myself I'd go slow on getting new ponies for a while but I couldn't leave these 2 behind.  :lookround:
They're in fairly rough shape though, and I've got a question or 2 about fixing them up.

Can they be sunfaded?
Barnacle especially has a good amount of pen marks on him, but from what I know his plastic is rather delicate. Will he burn, or fade drastically if I put him in the sun? In the same vein, his hair is really bright, are there things that will make it leach color like chartreuse hair is prone to do?
Barnacle also seems to have a lot of yellowish spots going on. It's doesn't look like pony cancer/age marks, at least not like any of the pictures I've seen of it. Just like vaguely discolored spots/stains on his plastic. I'm going to carefully try some acetone on them later, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with stains like this?

Finally just out of curiosity. Did the boys come with curls in their mane? The packaging pictures I've seen seem to suggest they didn't, but Barnacle here has got an interesting bit of, well, weave left in his hair. I'm just curious if it's factory, or if he's previous owner gave him a spa day.  :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about Tex and Barnacle
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:00:18 AM »
Barnacle definitely is meant to have curls. Tex hair is straight.

I am not sure about sunfading barnacle as I've never tried.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:39 AM »
Congrats on your first 2 boy ponies!

Some of the boys had curly hair and some straight - same as with lots of other sets, some curly some not. Barnacle did come with gorgeous curly hair so a little wave in his hair is probably original.

Barnacle does have a terrible tendency to break down and he should also be a lovely vibrant blue; which means sun fading him can be risky. However, as long as you watch him and ensure one area is never over exposed, it will be much the same as fading a white burn prone pony, just worth monitoring very closely but still perfectly possible. The yellowish stains do sound like age marks - they can form like bruises and be any shade from dark brown through to off cream.

There is the possibility of all the neon colours leaking a little if they are exposed to a chemical but its really only the surprise yellow that you have to worry about. Barnacles red should be fine.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:29:48 AM »
I am not aware of his hair color changing and have certainly done lots of washing with different products. Though I have never used oxyclean, and I know that's generally the product that has made color bleed out of other hair. I would think you should be safe with any usual cleaning, though.

Barnacle is pretty prone to pony cancer and age spots, and it can often look kind of yellow. It could also just be a color/dye breakdown. When he ages the blue pigment tends to fade out, turning him the greenish color you sometimes see. Pictures would help. Of course it could also be some kind of surface stain - a wipe with acetone will tell you if it's cleanable or if it's a deeper discoloration.

Barnacle did come with curls, but almost all of my boys have had their hair straightened when I cleaned them up - I like him a bit better that way ^_^ Until I find one with perfect factory curl, of course!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:31:32 AM by NoDivision »

PandoraFox

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:47:25 AM »
Thank you all for the answers! Poor Barnacle is unfortunately already gone a bit dingy overall I think.
I'll be checking his insides, since he rattles as well, to see if there isn't anything in there making him look a bit murky, but he's blue enough that I don't terribly mind if he's stuck this way. I'll be careful when sunfading him, but I'm glad to know it can be done! With winter coming up and the typical Dutch weather, his progress won't be very fast anyways. I should be able to keep an eye on him with no problem.

I'm sorry about not providing pictures of the odd yellowish stains. I haven't had the chance to make any yet. I'm hoping they'll come off with some acetone and otherwise, I'll be sure to try and grab some pictures. I haven't seen either cancer, or dye breakdown in real life yet, so I'm a really bad judge on these things still. Though I do know Barnacle is prone to those kinds of issues.

And wow, now I'm kind of sad to know I'll likely be stuck removing the last bit of curl from his mane. (Given, it's not like there's a lot left in the first place.) I'd love to keep it, but the orange part of his mane is really frizzy, to the point where I don't think I can fix it without removing the last bit of weave. Definitely going to have to give him back his original hairdo or at least a nice wavy look afterwards though, that, and hide the poor fellows cut forelock. He really is in rather rough shape. >>

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:01 AM »
Rough shape or not, Barney is a popular pony :) I am sure you will have him looking great soon enough.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
I find the fact the Barnacle is a pirate means he can be forgiven easily for being in rough shape. He's just so charming no matter what state he's in! I can't resist.

PandoraFox

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Oh I definitely do adore him! Something about that awesome bright orange hair against the blue. (I'm normally not too fond of orange, but it just looks so great on him.) He's a keeper, no matter if I can fix all his issues or not.
He'll be cleaned up to the best of my ability and get a proud place in my collection. ^^

Offline snwbear24

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:55 AM »
Boys are the best congrats on the new boys!! I have never sunfaded myself but good luck!!! :)
Looking For these to complete my G4's!!  :biggrin:
Royal Gem Carriage w/ Star Swirl

Looking For these G1's to complete US collection!!
Bushwoolies- Cheery, Hugster, and Chumster

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal