collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PC on Dark blue eyed CC?  (Read 326 times)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
PC on Dark blue eyed CC?
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
I got this girl in a lot recently and her eyes are super dark blue...not even a hint of lavender. Here she is with her "normal" sister. Is she a variant, or were some made with dark blue eyes? Thanks for your help!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her eyes are actually a deep navy color...much darker than the pic could pick up! What should her asking price be?

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: PC on Dark blue eyed CC?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:14 AM »
Cute!

Offline RustyGusty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:32:38 AM »
I don't collect MLP as much as I used to. But I love finding variations of my favorite toys, it's so much fun and mysterious to figure them out.

The first thing that comes to mind is whether someone used a pen to fill in the blue color. I did that to some of my old ponies. But although I kept within the eye area, they looked alot more obvious than this. But I'm sure you already tried washing it off. And exposure to sunlight would rather seem to make it more lavender if anything, rather than the other way around.

Unless someone here happens to recognize this as a common variation, I'd say it's a great find!

What do the hoofs says?

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 08:16:25 AM »
I agree, what does her hoof say? I know all Italian ponies have blue eyes...other than that, maybe some fading? I have a Nighglider whose purple planets turned blue from fading...
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »
No help on the price, but I had a regular HK CC before who had dark blue eyes like that. I suspect it's just a batch that had different paint. There didn't seem to be any other major difference from my other CC, anyway.

Elf

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:49 AM »
Nope, no other differences to her sister there (or the other CC's i have, which is like, 5) her feet say Hong Kong, he hair is the same...even the plastic skin tone is the same! The dark blue really is stunning against the pink...I don't normally notice subtle differences (like pale blue eyed baby Moondancer and pale purple eyed Moondancer) but this one jumped right out as soon as I took her out of the box!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »
I have a Moondancer like that!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'd asked about it here a few years ago and we seemed to conclude that it was probable a variant in the paint, HOWEVER, I then acquired another Moondancer with darker-purple eyes that were clearly starting to fade to the exact same shade of blue, so I think it's unfortunately just fading. I don't know if that's true for this CC though, just for the Moondancer I have, but since they look so similar, I wonder if that's the case here.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
Red tends to be the least stable of the pigments, so it's common to have, say, pink symbols fade out to white, or purple to blue.  The red breaks down and leaves just the blue behind, similar to how you sometimes see posters in shop windows where only the blue and white are left.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
I don't think sun fading is a factor here...her body hasn't changed from a regular CC, and both eyes are exactly the same color. Plus, in real life her eyes are much darker in shade than the purple, so even if sumfading did occur, she's had to have had VERY dark purple eyes to start with.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
Like I said, the Moondancers I've had DO sometimes have a dark purple shade, and both the ones I mentioned here are the same color in both eyes. I'm not home to take a picture of the dark purple-blue one, nor am I sure if I even have it anymore, but there is variation in the purple shade in many of the early ponies (I have CCs with eyes from lavender to purple to mauve)

As for the body color being the same on your CC, the body color can take a lot to fade; the paint almost always fades faster, and I've even had ponies where the blush didn't fade as fast as other pink paint.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »
Red tends to be the least stable of the pigments, so it's common to have, say, pink symbols fade out to white, or purple to blue.  The red breaks down and leaves just the blue behind, similar to how you sometimes see posters in shop windows where only the blue and white are left.

This^

Its not necessarily actual sunlight its an instability which happens over time - so the rest of her may be fine. As Baby Sugarberry says, red is simply the most unstable pigment, in addition it reacts the quickest to sunlight.

It is very common to find ponies which were originally released with that purple eye colour in all manner of shades from purple through to blue. I actually have a little image which shows how one colour so easily becomes the other when you simply remove some of the red pigment from it. :) She was produced in large numbers and no doubt there was some minor variation in shades used initially; that combined with a breakdown over the years and you get lots of different shades.

As for price, she is common enough that she is not worth any more than any other Cotton Candy; unless you perhaps get a collector happy to pay more for her.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
huh. that Moondancer looks great! I didn't think it'd be a huge difference, i just really noticed it is all. there were so many made, as Cat says...maybe someone got lazy in the red dye department :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal