collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sticky resin!  (Read 319 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Sticky resin!
« on: June 09, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
I bought a custom resin repro petite at the MLP fair back in 2011. There is only one problem. The resin has turned sticky and it has all dust and cat hair stuck to it. I tried washing it off but the hair is still there. Anyone have any ideas? The pony was this really pretty green color and I'd really like her to look like new again.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Flarewing

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sticky resin!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
Elmer's Glue makes this neat clear stuff that is designed to clean up spilled adhesives. I've used it in the past to clean up resin spills. You can also use acetone, so long as it's not over anything important, like paint work. Since you're working to restore a custom, I'd go for the Elmer's. I found it at Wal-Mart, in the craft section.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:40 PM »
Since it isn't painted yet, would acetone be alright? I was just worried it might eat the resin.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
Acetone will eat the resin. I have had it happen, it ends up making it worse. Have you tried regular soap or dish washing detergent? It sounds like you have a leach of the plasticizer. Happens to ponies too. You might try some Goo Gone on it, but try not to use anything harsh. Even rubbing alchohol can cause it to crack and fracture depending on what it's made of. If I knew the original resin I could give you more tips but I would be cautious without knowing.

ETA: I don't want to step on toes Flarewing at all, I just worry because without knowing the exact type of resin used it's hard to say what will work and won't.

I have used Polyurethane resin in the past---acetone eats is and makes it stickier over time. It also reacts to Polyester resin.

It does not react to Epoxy resin as long as it is not left sitting on it.

You may also try non acetone nail polish remover (but again check if it has even has a low strength alcohol), but I would try all of them on a bottom foot and let sit a few days to test in between and make sure it doesn't cloud or make it worse.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:29:58 PM by BarbedDragon »
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
I think he was basing his advice on it being epoxy resin, but that is because it is what we work with at home currently for my jewelry and resin ponies. I do know from experience with working on my resin ponies that acetone can be used to clean up mistakes, but it cannot be left on for long or it damages the resin.

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
I would contact who you bought it from and ask them their suggestion - going out on a limb here but I believe Roogna makes resin petites :)

Offline Starie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »
It sounds like the resin wasn't cured properly / not enough hardener was added when mixing

I was going to suggest sanding but its sticky so Im not sure if thats possible... I also know there is something that can be used to seal resin, I just can't remember what it is >< Ill look through my notes and see if I can find it.

I wouldn't risk the acetone under any circumstances, it can and probably will eat your pony.

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »
The resin sealer I have is Castin Craft Resin Spray Gloss Sealer - don't know if it would work but possibly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal