collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Her bloomin' head won't go on!  (Read 1758 times)

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
Her bloomin' head won't go on!
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
So people may vaguely remember I tried to make a poison Ivy pony as my first custom a month or so ago. I got to the point where I wanted her head back on so I could add finishing touches.

Well, I had preserved her full neck ring. WHAT A MISTAKE.

I heated her up with the hair dryer, body, neck, head, all. Lovely and soft. *squish* I pushed and pushed and pushed. Nothing.

She started to cool. I heated her up again. This time I thought "well my hands already hurt, I'm going to have to assume she's stronger than I'm behaving like she is and push harder" so, I pushed harder.

Then I cracked her sculpting in 3 places. AND HER BLOODY HEAD STILL WASN'T IN.

At that point I started to cry and gave up. So she still has no head. And now she's broken. I'm pretty upset. Also, it kinda destroyed my will to customise (don't tell Mr Meadow, I have about £100 worth of ponies and hair downstairs...), so many hours, and I can't get a simple thing like putting a head on right.

I don't know what to do. Do I just cut her neck off? Super glue it on and stick a ribbon over it? Do I need to use some secret method I missed? I'm so lost.... custom gurus, please lend me your wisdom :( :cry:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Her bloomin' head won't go on!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
I would trim down the neck plug.  I use an X-acto knife.

Shave a few cm off, and she should go in fine.

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
I've never been able to work with neck rings. I just gave up on them and I cut them all off now. I ruined several good sculpts trying to fight with neck rings. I hope someone can help because I could use the tips too:(

Offline assassin_kitty

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
Is it on a G3? I learnt a good tip from Nibbles when i first started customising and i do it all the time now! I always cut part of the plug away so there is about a 1cm gap in it and it always works!

Offline naylastar

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »
Is it on a G3? I learnt a good tip from Nibbles when i first started customising and i do it all the time now! I always cut part of the plug away so there is about a 1cm gap in it and it always works!

I never thought of that, I'm going to try this:)

Offline assassin_kitty

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »

I never thought of that, I'm going to try this:)

Honestly it works a treat, I used to have the exact same problem especially with sculpted customs!

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
Re: Her bloomin\' head won\'t go on!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
Yes! A G3. WHY didn't I think of that?! Thank you! I'll try it and then if it gets bad, I'll just chop it off I suppose  :huh:

I felt like perhaps chopping it off would be seen as cheap. I imagined people would want their pony's head to move or something. Though, they don't move normally so that doesn't even make sense.  :cloud:

Post Merge: March 27, 2012, 01:23:33 PM

Also, what then? Do you glue it in? With? I have super glue? Liquid Sculpey (would that even work?!) Glittery glue stuff.... pass. *facedesk*
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:23:33 PM by StrawberryMeadow »

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »
oh no :( sorry to hear your first custom isnt going as planned! i hope you dont give up customizing just because of this. i'm sure everyone has run into some sort of problem with their first custom!

ETA: ok, i would go with what assassin kitty said. i've tried it myself and it works nicely! :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:27:33 PM by Behemoth »
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline assassin_kitty

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
Yes! A G3. WHY didn't I think of that?! Thank you! I'll try it and then if it gets bad, I'll just chop it off I suppose  :huh:

I felt like perhaps chopping it off would be seen as cheap. I imagined people would want their pony's head to move or something. Though, they don't move normally so that doesn't even make sense.  :cloud:

Post Merge: March 27, 2012, 01:23:33 PM

Also, what then? Do you glue it in? With? I have super glue? Liquid Sculpey (would that even work?!) Glittery glue stuff.... pass. *facedesk*

It's not really seen as cheap, i don't think so anyway but  it can sometimes be difficult to line it back up correctly and despite being called super glue the stuff rarely lives up to it's name and everynow and then it can come loose so best to have part of the plug to hold it in place.

I do use a little super glue to hold it in place when it's back on! Hope this works out for you, if you ever need any help feel free to pm me!

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
Thank you for your swift and helpful replies: so very appreciated <3  :good: :lovey:

Offline naylastar

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
assassin_kitty, I could kiss you! I just tried it on a Bowtie and it worked a treat:)

Offline assassin_kitty

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
assassin_kitty, I could kiss you! I just tried it on a Bowtie and it worked a treat:)

No problem, glad to be able to help!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 03:35:53 PM »
oh gosh please don't give up T.T
everyone has those experiences that just leave them miserable, but in the end you learned how to avoid it and your customs will be better then ever because of it!

sometimes i think its just best to set the whole custom project aside and not touch it for a few days if you can. Then when you are less frustrated you can come back to it and things might just work better. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal