collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What should you do if you are disappointed with something you recieve?

Don't do anything.  After all they worked very hard it's just that there skill level need to improve.
13 (23.6%)
Suffer in silence. It isn't worth hurting feelings.
13 (23.6%)
Quietly  and privately complain to mods or swap hosts.
17 (30.9%)
Discuss it with the person privately.  Critisism is the best way to improve.
12 (21.8%)
Make a public but annonymous commentary.  They didn't put forth their best effort and it's shameful.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: February 19, 2012, 05:38:37 PM

Author Topic: Is an etiquette poll allowed?  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Is an etiquette poll allowed?
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
Ok so I have been thinking a lot about this.  No this is not in reference to anything specific.  I have done many swaps and some I have been so happy with but some were very upsetting.  And I never feel like I can be honest with people if I don't like the custom they've done for me.  I don't know if this is just the best they can do, or if they got lazy and wanted something nice for something they slapped together without any thought.  Neutral and negative feedback is a sensative topic here.  Most of the time I figure if I don't like something I just won't say anything.  But I think we all secretly wonder... do they really like it or are they just saying that?  So here is a poll... if it is allowed.  Please no bickering.  I am more interested in poll than discussion. Thanks for voting!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

pantherchild

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is an etiquette poll allowed?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »
I'm of two minds on it--if someone sent a custom that was well made and within the boundaries/theme of the swap, but wasn't to their partner's taste...I feel that's sad, but it's up to the partner to be particular about the things they like/hate.

If it's a poorly made custom, breaks, or has an issue later in it's life, then that's something the person needs to know.  Poorly made, i'd go to the swap organizer.  Breakage or later issue, let the person know.  That's something they may need to improve on.

If it's an issue of skill...I think you should go to the swap organizer.  They matched, presumably, on skill or interest, and need to know when you're nto happy.

I've received a couple of customs that aren't to my particular taste, but I've always felt that my partners put a lot of work and heart into their creations.  Maybe I've just been lucky!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
I'm of two minds on it--if someone sent a custom that was well made and within the boundaries/theme of the swap, but wasn't to their partner's taste...I feel that's sad, but it's up to the partner to be particular about the things they like/hate.

If it's a poorly made custom, breaks, or has an issue later in it's life, then that's something the person needs to know.  Poorly made, i'd go to the swap organizer.  Breakage or later issue, let the person know.  That's something they may need to improve on.

If it's an issue of skill...I think you should go to the swap organizer.  They matched, presumably, on skill or interest, and need to know when you're nto happy.

I've received a couple of customs that aren't to my particular taste, but I've always felt that my partners put a lot of work and heart into their creations.  Maybe I've just been lucky!

I can definitely see what you are saying here.  A well made custom that just isn't a partners cup or tea is not something that I feel warrants recourse. :)

I have gotten customs that I felt were not worked hard on.  And I have gotten partners that ignored my prefs.  But I am not sure it is malicious intent or if they truly felt, hey I did my best here.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Bladespark

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
If a person is going to improve their skill, they need to *want* to improve, and somebody who *wants* to improve is going to ask for critique, get it, and improve.

So telling somebody that their hard work wasn't good enough will either be something they'll hear anyway, because they'll ask, or will hurt somebody who thought they were doing a good job. 

I say better to just quietly accept it.  Getting something that's not what you hoped for is just part of doing a swap.  I've gotten many swap ponies that weren't exactly what I had in mind, and some that even did seem slapped together and very poorly made, but I thanked my partner and moved on.   If you're really that hugely bothered by getting a custom that isn't as good as the custom you made, you might want to consider only doing one-on-one private swaps.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
I have gotten customs that I felt were not worked hard on.  And I have gotten partners that ignored my prefs.  But I am not sure it is malicious intent or if they truly felt, hey I did my best here.

I have had this happen, especially the ignoring preferences thing, and really wasn't sure what to do about it. In the end, because it wasn't part of an official swap, I just let it go.  If it had been an arena swap I would have contacted the swap host. As it is, it wasn't worth raising a fuss over or potentially upsetting the person who made the pony, but I'm not sure if Id want to trade with them again.

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
I was just thinking about that earlier!

I've yet to be in a custom swap, but If I put my heart and soul into a custom and got a hot mess in return, I'd be upset.
I would complain to the person hosting the swap and send them images of what I sent and what I received.
In most custom swaps i"ve seen there has been a requirement that the swap oragnizer sees all ponies before they ship.
I would hope they compaired quality of the partners and maybe talk to the people who's ponies were lacking before they were sent out.

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
If somebody sent me a custom I think I'd appreciate it no matter how it looked, since I have great respect for anything handmade.
If I did'nt like the look of it I'd put it in my swap-rememberance-box :) I keep all the cards and some small tookens from swapps to remember in there :)
The box is underneath my ponyshelfs, lovely to show visitors too!

I do think honesty is the way to go if you recieve something else in your box that is'nt wery nice. Like stuff you're allergic too, if you wrote it in your appication and still gets it you should tell the swaphost.
Once some years ago when I was new to swapping I got Ponies with cancer spots in the box.( ALL the ponies in the box had bad spots!) I was too "polite" to say anything, but afterwords I regreted it since none of those ponies got to be a part of my collection :( I feel like I lost out on that one.
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline steffers29madds

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »
When I enter a swap I just sorta hope for the best. I've been super lucky and have truly liked every pony I've received. I work harder on my swap ponies that others that I do just for fun, as I'm nervous that my partner won't like theirs and just won't tell me. On the flip side I'm not sure how I'd feel if my partner did tell me that they didn't like their pony after I'd spent a lot of time on it. I guess I just believe in graciousness regardless as I would hate to assume that someone just slapped a custom together and then find out I'm wrong. =)

mana-maiden

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:35:18 PM »
If it's a swap, you're suppose to be matched up according to skill level.

From what I understand, the purpose of a swap is for people to build reputations and just get their stuff out there while they are in their improving stages. It builds up feedback, and experience.

I know some people who have felt unfairly yolked with swaps, where they do a high level of quality and detail for a custom when they've received one with part of the hair plugs missing like the other person decided to "clock out early" on the re-hair job, and others where part of the hair is practically falling out, paint crackling off, what have you...

However, situations like that are to be taken into consideration upon entering the swap. Everything is free, and everyone's in the same boat. If the custom is really in such horrid conditions, appropriate and honest feedback should be left to the customizer in private (and/or feedback archive), because even if you do hurt their feelings, you'd be hurting LOTS MORE peoples' feelings if they were ever to buy a custom in that condition.

If they are to sell, they can't have hurt feelings get in the way of conducting legit sales.

However, when a person is doing commissions and sales, the customer is also responsible for researching the seller before deciding to purchase.

They need to study their pre-existing style and quality, and make their decision from there. Although it is good for artists to accept challenges, you do not commission someone to do something they just flat don't already do.

And if there's photoshopping involved in the presented photos, that should be mentioned in feedback. It's not right to try to shoop flaws. Image programs should only be used for collaging, borders, words, accents... nothing that alters the presentation of the product.

I find it silly whenever I see people complaining about a commission someone else did, when the style and quality were prominent in the seller's pre-existing work. There's no grounds to complain.

All that says about the customer, is they were looking for the cheapest customizer to do the job, and didn't really want to part with their money in the first place.

I don't really see an answer in the poll that fits that, but that's the reality. Hope that helps!

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
Honestly I think if I were too terribly concerned about this issue that I would just stick to private trades with customizers you KNOW you adore the work of. :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline Bladespark

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
I just have to ask, seeing how many people are voting that the thing to do is involve the swap host... what on earth is a swap host supposed to do about this? The one time I hosted a swap I knew my duty was to organize partners, keep the post updated, remind people about deadlines, and make sure that everybody actually got a custom in return for making a custom, and I was prepared to do all that.  But I would have no idea whatsoever what to do if somebody came to me and said they felt their swap partner hadn't done a good enough job.

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
I find it silly whenever I see people complaining about a commission someone else did, when the style and quality were prominent in the seller's pre-existing work. There's no grounds to complain.
I **completely** agree with this point Mana :) I've seen people complain about the quality of work they received from someone they have commissioned when honestly, the work was of the same standard and quality as every other piece of work the customiser had done.

On topic though, I have participated in many swaps over the many years I've been part of the community. I have received some absolutely gorgeous ponies from swaps and some which left me sad for a variety of reasons - like preferences being ignored complately, poorer quality of work than expected based on previous works etc. In those situations I contact the swap host, and let them know about the situation. If its not resolved through them then its often best to contact a Mod and ask their advice on the situation.
Honest feedback should be left though, as not leaving it makes it hard on the next swap organiser that person signs up for - when they go to read feedback, all they see is happy feedback and that makes it really tough for them - especially if the situation re-occurs. If in doubt, I always say you should ask a Mod for their perspective and advice :) They don't bite!

~Princess Of Darkness~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
A swap is a bit of a gamble every time.  There are risks and rewards and it is a great way to get involved in the community and practice up on new skills.  Communication is the key.  If you feel that someone hasn't done their part, try to figure out why.  As mentioned before, look at their prior work.  See if they felt rushed during the swap in the main thread.  Technical difficulties do happen.  I think you have to get more info before you can know what the next step might be.  Tact and a level head can go a long way in any situation.

Swap organizers (and Mods) can try to clear up any misunderstandings during and after a swap.  That being said, honest and tactful feedback is important.  So I guess my thoughts are twofold: 1- communicate, find out why their are differences in your expectations vs. results and 2- leave appropriate and respectful feedback.  One important thing is to explain to your partner why you left the feedback, they will see it eventually and it can be quite a rough shock if they had no idea.  A lot of times they might even offer to make it right ;)

We have a supportive and loving creative home here, thanks to all of our members for that! :lovey:

creampuf

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
From experience!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...tell me what I did wrong. tell me how to fix it...tell me how to make you happy. I want to have happy commissioners and friends.

Actually...I had it happen...I did a pony and my client wasn't all that thrilled and gently told me....I really appreciated the feedback, realized where the communication error was and then went a head and made another for my friend. The one they didn't' like I sold and credited them with the design inspiration.

Of course that's a reason why you should send pics when you are done before mailing out anything. This way you aren't waiting for a pony to get back to you before you start the next.

Now for swaps....If you get a swap pony form me and you see something is off...take a pic and tell me... if you have a better idea of what I could do better...then tell me. Don't hide it and don't' let it fester. Also remember that the swap pony is a gift...gifts are not always perfect but they are always form the right place...your heart.

Also be nice and save someone's little ego discuss it quietly in private with that person.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
If it's a swap, you're suppose to be matched up according to skill level.

Actually that is not true of all swaps, it is up to the organizer if they wish to do it by skill or random and it should be posted in the swap rules which way it is being done.

From what I understand, the purpose of a swap is for people to build reputations and just get their stuff out there while they are in their improving stages. It builds up feedback, and experience.

Interesting view, but to me swaps are always about having fun not about building your rep.  That you do before you can even get in a swap.  They are also a chance to push yourself and maybe try something you would not have otherwise.

I think if you can not enter into the swap with an open mind about what you are going to get (or not get) then you should not do so.

I do agree with Colorscapesart that if you are truly unhappy you need to contact the swap organizer and not post publicly. 

:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal